The BURIED Book Club discussion

unBURIED Authors E-J > Marianne Hauser

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments from Lit Hub:

Marianne Hauser (1910-2006)

Despite being nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for her 1963 novel Prince Ishmael, which tells the story of the enigmatic wild child Kaspar Hauser, and later earning comparisons to Toni Morrison and Marilynne Robinson for her novel The Talking Room, it’s unlikely that you’ll find copies of Marianne Hauser’s books at your local bookstore. Perhaps this is due to the writer’s experimental bent, a sure indication of potential oblivion, or to her subject matter: The Talking Room centers on a pregnant 13-year-old girl whose lesbian parents are one of the bitterest and strangest couples I know of in fiction.

Here on Goodreads she has 38 ratings and 15 reviews over 9 distinct works.

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Jimmy wrote: "from Lit Hub:

Marianne Hauser (1910-2006)

Despite being nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for her 1963 novel Prince Ishmael, which tells the story of the enigmatic wild child Kaspar Hauser, and la..."

Corpse. BURIED.

message 3: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments She's come up before here, but I guess never received a thread? Thanks for the reminder that I have a copy of Prince Ishmael somewhere waiting to be read!

message 4: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments I attempted her Collected Short Fiction and the novella Shootout with Father (her last book) and abandoned both. Maybe I should have given her a third strike. I was disappointed, since from what I had read about her work I thought I'd like it. But I may have just chosen the wrong entry points.

message 5: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments I know what you're saying. I made it through The Talking Room, but it failed to motivate return reading. But I think Prince Ishmael is quite different from the later works. Perhaps it will open up my appreciation in some way.