Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Buddy Reads / Side Reads > Anthony Trollope

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 44 comments Anthony Trollope’s “Palliser” novels
Plantagenet Palliser is the central character of these novels and is considered the most complex character Trollope ever created. He is first introduced to the reader in the 5th “Barset” series book, “The Small House at Allington” where he is involved in a flirtation with a prominent lady.
In the Palliser series, he has marital problems, succeeds his uncle as Duke of Omnium, becomes the Prime Minister of the country and finally he has problems with the love affairs of his children.
The series has various sub-plots, the chief among them being the life and loves of Phineas Finn, that lovable Irish Member of Parliament.

message 2: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 44 comments Trollope was a 19th century writer and his novels, mostly romance, are similar to those of Jane Austen. However, though Jane Austen wrote only some six or seven books, Trollope has written almost a hundred.
Of his novels, I have just completed re-listening to “Can You Forgive Her?” and I am now re-listening “Phineas Finn”.
Trollope is famous for his series of six “Barsetshire” novels and for his series of six “Palliser” novels. I have the print, eBook and audio versions of all twelve books as well as those of some of his other books.

message 3: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 44 comments "Framley Parsonage" by Anthony Trollope

I consider the love story contained in this book of Lucy Robarts and Lord Lufton together with the intervention therein of the future mother- in-law, Lady Lufton, as one of the finest pieces of romance in English literature, surpassing even those of Jane Austen.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 520 comments I recently finished the Barsetshire series, and I have started on Can You Forgive Her? I am moving slowly through this book.

message 5: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 55 comments Just finished The Way We Live Now by Trollope, talk about timely. It was a fantastic read.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 520 comments MichelleCH wrote: "Just finished The Way We Live Now by Trollope, talk about timely. It was a fantastic read."

Reading The Way We Live Now. I am really enjoying it.

message 7: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 55 comments It is so well done, a page-turner for me. I'm hoping to read more Trollope, perhaps the Barsetshire series.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3014 comments The Barsetshire series are a lot of fun.