Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - The Dry > Group Read - The Dry general No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jan 18, 2017 10:09PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments The February 2017 Group Read book is a debut novel by print journalist Jane Harper. No spoilers please on this topic.
Are you planning on reading the book? I have the audio lined up but haven't been able to get a look at a print copy or confirm the chapter count online.
It appears there might be 132 chapters - wow! EDITED probably not, the audio is broken into 132 "chapters" which may just be segments. Does anyone have a copy to check for breaking out the segments for discussion? Thanks!
The book won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript in 2015. Rights have since been sold in more than 20 territories and been optioned for a film by Reese Witherspoon.

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (absorbedinpages) I was to check out the kindle ebook version through my library. There are about 34 chapters and 329 pages for the ebook version. Excited for the read and discussion!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Thank you Jaime!
I am way down the hold list at the library for any version and used an audible credit for it so don't want to spring for the Kindle version too. I appreciate the info and will set up segments in a day or so.
It is very popular evidentially based on the number of holds.
If others have trouble getting a copy right away we may extend the date to "finish by".
oJaime wrote: "I was to check out the kindle ebook version through my library. There are about 34 chapters and 329 pages for the ebook version. Excited for the read and discussion!"

message 4: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments Yes, I plan to read it. I read the Kindle sample and was intrigued. For some reason it reminds me of our read from around this time last year--The Verdict (friendship goes south?).

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments I have a paperback with 42 chapters and 342 pages. Last few chapters are very brief. Not sure why theres such a difference between ebook and paperback chapters.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Jack: Are the paperback edition chapters numbered? I was just getting ready to start the segment threads. I wish audible was more like Overdrive audio books - Overdrive usually attempts to use the read chapters as breaks.
Jack wrote: "I have a paperback with 42 chapters and 342 pages. Last few chapters are very brief. Not sure why theres such a difference between ebook and paperback chapters."

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I am thinking of setting up the discussion into four Spoilers ok segments: Chapters 1-10; 11-20; 21-30 and 31- to the end - if that last segment is shorter or if it goes to chapter 42 that should work. I am also amazed at how different editions may sometimes handle page counts or chapter breaks in a different manner.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Yep chapters are numbered in the book. I Think that is fine doing it that way. Csn do summaries if you like over next few days.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments I plan to read it but as usual I'm slow -- football postseasons (yay Patriots!!!) and birthday celebrations have taken up my time. Next up is doing the top reads tallying and then I can get back to reading.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Thanks Jack!!
Jack wrote: "Yep chapters are numbered in the book. I Think that is fine doing it that way. Csn do summaries if you like over next few days."

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Jack: I'm looking forward to starting The Dry next week! I am eager to get to the conversation.
Jack wrote: "Yep chapters are numbered in the book. I Think that is fine doing it that way. Csn do summaries if you like over next few days."

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Will be good book to discuss. Lots of interesting characters and twists. Its interestingly written with a lot of flashbacks which may be confusing listening to it as an audiobook.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Thanks for the tIp about flashbacks Jack. I'll watch for those while listening.