The Sword and Laser discussion

The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
This topic is about The Three-Body Problem
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #278 - Don’t Trust Turkey Data

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
A hot new approach to a fantasy trilogy, the real drama of rocket scientists involves cake, and why you can’t trust turkeys to rigorously use data to predict future results.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2017/1/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/7817043

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
We don't need more patreon openings, mine is already perfect..plus it would go against my plans for world S&L domination..

:-D

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
While Marlon James is talking 'tongue in cheek'. I think "Game of Thrones" like Fantasy is acceptable for "most" 12 year olds.

I was certainly reading similar type books at that age. I was in my 2nd year of High School at that age. Way past kids books.

Perhaps I was just a weird kid ;-)

message 4: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments I also was reading books with sex, violence, and gore in them at 12-15. But GoT is differant, 30 year old me had such a visceral reaction to the first book that I had to lem it about 1/2 way through. I eventually went back and finished it. Read the second, and decided enough was enough. I'll stick to the HBO series, it's less worse then what my own imagination created, based on the writing.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybeougherauthor) | 25 comments GoT would have been in the realm of what I was reading at that age (Handmaid's Tale, Clan of the Cave Bear) but considering as an adult I stopped at the 3rd book and have zero desire to pick them up again, I don't know that it would have held my interest.

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Jan 20, 2017 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1617 comments GoT is not for 12 y.o and I will never recommend it to anyone below 16. Not about the sex and gore - kids nowadays are exposed to lots ot those - but I think the context, life experiences etc etc are just not for middle graders/preteens.

The youngest ASOIAF reader I know (in person) was 15 yo when he first read it. He got the gist and most of the stories but that's probably helped by having some of the characters around his age, e.g. Jon Snow.

I agree on NK Jemisin's Patreon, highly recommended. Another author with great Patreon is Kameron Hurley - her short stories (for Patron) are amazing.

And did I hear correctly that you guys will have Brian McClellan in the show?

Mark (markmtz) | 2288 comments Rob wrote: "We don't need more patreon openings, mine is already perfect..plus it would go against my plans for world S&L domination..

:-D"

Rob, have you studied The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius?

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "GoT is not for 12 y.o and I will never recommend it to anyone below 16. Not about the sex and gore - kids nowadays are exposed to lots ot those - but I think the context, life experiences etc etc are just not for middle graders/preteens."

Despite my comments above. I also wouldn't recommend it to most 12 yo. I would start them off with something a bit lighter in epic Fantasy at that age. If they liked the TV show I might suggest it for them.

I tried to think back to what we were reading in early High School (Grades 7 & 8) and it did contain a fair bit of violence. Lord of the Flies, Shakespeare's tragedies etc

Jacqui Boyum | 4 comments Hey there. You mentioned that NK Jemisin has a new series coming up to be released in April of 2019. Do we know the name of the book yet? Or is there a specific link to more information? She's one of my faves and I want to get as much info as possible.

message 11: by Louie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 12:12PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Jacqui wrote: "Do we know the name of the book yet? Or is there a specific link to more information? She's one of my faves and I want to get as much info as possible."

The link being discussed in the podcast, from Orbits blog.

http://www.orbitbooks.net/2017/01/10/...

And Tor.com's post about it. That is pretty much all the info at this time.

http://www.tor.com/2017/01/10/orbit-a...

Fresno Bob | 579 comments I figured my Quick Burns contribution was going to be irresistible.

message 13: by Dara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Veronica is Lane Kim but tech instead of music.

message 14: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
Dara wrote: "Veronica is Lane Kim but tech instead of music."

I don't know what that means!!

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica wrote: "Dara wrote: "Veronica is Lane Kim but tech instead of music."

I don't know what that means!! "

Glad I'm not the only one.

Fresno Bob | 579 comments lane is rory's (the alexis bendel daughter character) buddy in Gilmore Girls, and knows a ton about music

Trike | 8291 comments Old white guys, dropping the Gilmore Girls knowledge.

Copperboom! Oy with the poodles already.

message 18: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments ^I am loving all of this right now. <3

message 19: by Dara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Veronica wrote: "Dara wrote: "Veronica is Lane Kim but tech instead of music."

I don't know what that means!! "

Don't worry - Lane is awesome. She's a huge music nerd and spend a lot of time secretly rebelling against her strict Korean mother. Tom knows what's up. I actually stopped listening to the podcast to comment about Gilmore Girls. It's a slight obsession for me.

Trike | 8291 comments My favorite episode is the one where we meet the Puffs. Badass Rory is badass.

Also, it has this line, which is S&L appropriate for a couple reasons: "Well, Lem, what can I say?"

message 21: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments My favorite Lane moment- skanking to Rancid in Rory's room.