Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 1 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Why do you think Jacks father was calling him? Do you think he was calling because he hard about everything and wanted to rub it in jacks face?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

I personally think Jacks father called because he wants to be there for his son. I think he probably did hear about everything going on, but he wants to rekindle their relationship. Jack said he calls every Christmas, and I think it's his way of trying to reach out.

message 3: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Bost (anb24) | 3 comments I agree Britnie. I feel like that Tom knows that he made some mistakes in Jack's childhood but he's now trying to make up for it and wanting to be in his son's life somehow.

message 4: by Darlene (last edited Jan 19, 2017 11:12PM) (new)

Darlene I hate to repeat what everyone has said so far, but I too agree that Tom is reaching out to his son to repair the relationship. After reaching out every Christmas, it doesn't make sense that this Christmas he would call only to gloat.

On another note, how said is it that his preaching became showtime:
"Behind him, the giant worship screens were emblazoned with the words "Let Us Pray." He closed his eyes now and held his silence until he felt their silence, until he felt those untold thousands here and everywhere else hanging on his every word." During the prayer: "He had them now, he could feel it. His heart was pounding and he suppressed the crazy grin that always threatened to spill across his face when he felt the waves of attention crashing over him."

message 5: by Britnie (new)

I agree with you Auntie Darlene! I was thinking the same thing while reading that part.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments It hasn't been explained in detail yet about what happened at the funeral, but what we do know is that Jack has a tough upbringing from his dad. Jack's dad seems to have been a more serious, strict, unemotional type. However, for the passed few years, he has called every Christmas (which shows he cares) and only that one day a year (which shows he wants to allow space but also show consistency). I really think Jack's dad wants to fix what was broken and is unsure how to do it.

I'm right with you kn your comment about how incredibly cocky this "pastor" is. My goodness! Don't get me wrong here ladies.....no one is going to be perfect and we are all human, therefore we're going to mess up, but my goodness. This guy has got some nerve with how high and mighty he thinks he is.