Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > The Fireman - Joe Hill - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments The Fireman, Joe Hill, 2016. This is a great book. I would not have guessed I would enjoy it so much. The first Joe Hill book for me. I don't tend to read horror so pretty much avoid authors known to write horror but I had heard that it was really good and it had made several best of lists.

This is great story set in contemporary times. There is a lot of references to what is occurring in the world today. This is an apocalyptic story and the author makes it so believable. I liked the beginning where the author references J.K. Rowling, Mary Poppins, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Bradbury. And finally his mother for the mycology that makes the story so believable. The story grabs right away and pulls you along. It's a tense, action story that will make a sit on the edge of your chair movie. A lot of great characters in the story. Very little sexual explicit subject matter yet present in the the story which makes the author even more skilled in my opinion. The writer gives us the details of this virus and how people might react. The setting is the U.S. and it is New England setting. Very readable, I listened to the audio, performed by Kate Mulgrew, who did a great job! I think the author delivered a great book. The story would be one of overcoming the monster. It used mythology (phoenix, etc).

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I read/listened (whispersync) and loved this book. I'm a fan of Joe Hill, I have liked everything I've read from him. H does write is the same genre as his father (Stephen King) but he has his own style.