Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Shout It Out! Self- Promotions > A Book is a Gift that Keeps Giving

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
A book is a gift that can change someone's life. Don't forget to remember those who can't afford them. Many schools today have no budget for books. If you know of an organization who needs books for their members- please list it here.
I will be happy to send them some. I'm sure many of you would too.

message 2: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
Awesome idea! Should we list the address too?

message 3: by Carole (new)

Yes- I think that's good- that way it will always be up there and new people can send as they join. Make sure you say the age group. I usually give to hospitals, nursing homes and schools.

message 4: by R.L. (new)

Ok sounds good! Will post soon!

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
That is a great idea! Some community libraries have limited budgets too. I have donated to some of the smaller town libraries in my state. Another great place to donate is homeless shelters, especially ones set up to help families. Here is one that serves homeless women and children (birth-18 years) in the St. Louis area: http://www.goodsamaritanhouse.org/

message 6: by Carole (new)

I never thought of those- great idea. Got the address- I'll send out a few books.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "I never thought of those- great idea. Got the address- I'll send out a few books."

I think the kids would love your books. :) The average stay for a family is 3 months before they get set up with jobs and new housing so they have a lot of families that come through there during the year.

message 8: by Carole (new)

I keep a pretty big stock of them around. I'm always giving them away. I think I am my biggest customer. haha

message 9: by R.L. (new)

I'll look for the same as I'm having trouble finding info for local schools

message 10: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments The elementary school I held presentations at last week is in need of school supplies and reading materials. The students range in ages from 4-12. My sister is the 4th grade writing teacher there and she says they receive very little money for supplies for the entire year because their budget is so low. I won't tell you how much, but it would be about the cost of 6-7 McDonalds Big Mac combos. Most of their supplies bought by the teachers themselves. I've donated some things to my sisters classes, but what about the rest of the school?

I live in an area of the US with the poorest communities. Please view this article to get a better picture: http://valleycentral.com/news/local/d...

Not all schools in this area are as in need as my sister's. But I've done presentations in the past at other schools with the same problem. So I'm asking kindly if you'd like to donate a book or anything in your heart, I'll make it my duty to deliver books to schools and libraries in need across the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

You may send whatever you like, books or bookmarks. They will take it. Thank you in advance.

My address:
Nely Cab
P.O. Box 930
Los Fresnos, TX 78566

message 11: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments If you would prefer to send books directly to my sister's class (4th grade, 9-10 year olds), the address is:

Travis Elementary
Attn: Ms. K. Mendiola
600 E Polk St
Harlingen, TX 78550
United States

Please include a note telling her who you are so she can tell her students. Thank you again!

message 12: by Carole (new)

I sent a bunch on Monday. ;)

message 13: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments Thank you, Carol!

message 14: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments Sorry that's PO Box 930

message 15: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments I received the packages with the childrens books today, Carole. Thanks so much. I'll give them my sister this week.

Nely wrote: "If you would prefer to send books directly to my sister's class (4th grade, 9-10 year olds), the address is:

Travis Elementary
Attn: Ms. K. Mendiola
600 E Polk St
Harlingen, TX 78550
United Stat..."

message 16: by Carole (last edited Jan 23, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Let me know if they enjoy them. I just read at my granddaughter's nursery school. It was so much fun!!!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread