Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Shelly's Pliant Plan 2017

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (last edited Dec 26, 2017 07:41PM) (new)

Shelly | 67 comments Here is my pliant plan for 2017:

✔1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
✔2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view) The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon
✔3. A book you meant to read in 2016. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
✔4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E." Marrow by Tarryn Fisher
✔5. A historical fiction. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.
6. A book being released as a movie in 2017. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
✔7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title. [[book:The Bear and the Nightingale|25489134] by Katherine Arden
✔8. A book written by a person of color.Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
✔9. A book in the middle of your “To Be Read” list. The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier
✔10. A dual-timeline novel. The Secret Wife by Gill Paul
✔11. A category from another challenge: One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly
12. A book based on a myth. Odd and the Frost Giants Neil Gaiman
13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors.
✔14. A book with a strong female character. Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley
✔15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland) Smilla's Sense of Snow: A Novel by Peter Høeg.
✔16. A mystery: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
✔17. A book with illustrations. Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
18. A really long book (600+ pages) The Way of Kings
by Brandon Sanderson
19. A New York Times best-seller. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
✔20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading. What Is Left the Daughter by Howard Norman
✔21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read. A Regimental Murder by Ashley Gardner
✔22. A book by an author you haven't read before. Black Widow by Jenni Moen
23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list.
24. A book written by at least two authors. America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray
25. A book about a famous historical figure.
26. An adventure book.
✔27. A book by one of your favorite authors. A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
✔28. A non-fiction. Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor by Clinton Romesha
✔29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) The Hanover Square Affair by Ashley Gardner
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books.
✔31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre. (historical romance) The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne
32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle) Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival by Peter Stark
✔33. A magical realism novel. Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
✔34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere. The Darkest Heart by Dan Smith
✔35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty. The Secret Wife by Gill Paul
36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee. Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
✔37. A book you choose randomly. The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan
38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
✔39. An epistolary fiction. Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
✔40. A book published in 2017. All That's Left to Tell by Daniel Lowe
✔41. A book with an unreliable narrator. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
42. A best book of the 21st century (so far). Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
✔43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold) Silent Scream by Angela Marsons
44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next" (link). Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
✔45. A book with a one-word title. Marrow by Tarryn Fisher
46. A time travel novel. Time and Again by Jack Finney
✔47. A past suggestion that didn't win (A book with a color in the title.) Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
48. A banned book.
✔49. A book from someone else's bookshelf. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition
51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) Where the Dog Star Never Glows by Tara L. Masih
✔52. A book set in a fictional location. Wool by Hugh Howey

message 2: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments I just finished Seveneves and loved it.
Happy reading.

message 3: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 67 comments Anastasia wrote: "I just finished Seveneves and loved it.
Happy reading."

Oh, good. I have wanted to read this one for a while.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 114 comments Also planning on reading Ember in the Ashes this year! :) Happy reading!

message 5: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 67 comments Samantha wrote: "Also planning on reading Ember in the Ashes this year! :) Happy reading!"

I understand that there is a movie in the works, but I haven't been able to get any information (release date?) on it. I look forward to reading this one!

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments How was The Couple Next Door? I wanted to read that one but it didn't make my list this year.

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 67 comments Joan wrote: "How was The Couple Next Door? I wanted to read that one but it didn't make my list this year."

It was really good. Don't start it if you have anything else you need to do because it is hard to put down. The pacing and the plot twists make it a fun read. When you finish this one, I will want to know what you think of the ending.

message 8: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 67 comments I am ahead of schedule with 13/52 books for 2017.