2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Dianne's Corner to Write about Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dianne (last edited May 10, 2017 07:28AM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments I'm looking forward to reading at least 25 books this year. I'm using the Pop Sugar List as a guide but I'll enjoy picking up suggestions from everyone else. This month I'm reading...
1. A book that's been on my TBR list for a long time - The Goldfinch
2. A book about food - It Was Me All Along

message 2: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments I've finished 3 books for the Challenge. That means I'm a little ahead of schedule. For the month of February, I'll read
4. A book from a genre you don't usually read -Born to Run
5. A book with a subtitle - The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate-Discoveries from a Secret World

message 3: by Dianne (last edited May 10, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 5. I've listened to a book on tape - Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim Very funny!
6. And I reread a book you read as a child - To Kill a Mockingbird
7.. Now I've begun a book from a series - Outlander

message 4: by Dianne (last edited May 10, 2017 07:26AM) (new)

message 5: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments Okay, I've started the first book in The Outlander series and I've decided that I'm not going to invest anymore time in it. It's more of a romance novel than a fantasy novel. I'll have to make another choice.

message 6: by Dianne (last edited Jun 11, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 8. First book in a series
The Name of the Wind

9. A book set in wartime - The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story

10. A book from someone you admire - Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

11. A book with an author from a different culture than mine -
White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide

message 7: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 12. I'm currently reading The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - a book with a red spine

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina Foster (ninafoster) I'm currently reading :Wild Child: Girlhoods in the Counterculture, it's essays from some young women about what it was like being raised by hippie parents in the sixties and seventies. I set my challenge to 25 too for this year, but I'll probably double that.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Good luck Dianne :)

message 10: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments Nina wrote: "I'm currently reading :Wild Child: Girlhoods in the Counterculture, it's essays from some young women about what it was like being raised by hippie parents in the sixties and seventies. I set my ch..."

50 books sounds ambitious! Go for it. Your book sounds interesting. Enjoy. I'll look forward to reading your review.

message 11: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments Lisa wrote: "Good luck Dianne :)"

Thank you! I'm enjoying the challenge.

message 12: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 13. I chosen the book that I'm taking to South Carolina for vacation
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened - a book with pictures.

I'm enjoying The Name of the Wind very much. I'll finish it in the next few weeks.

message 13: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 14. The book I'm going to read about a mythical creature will be
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

message 14: by Dianne (last edited Jun 11, 2017 09:52PM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 15.. A book about an interesting woman The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion

message 15: by Dianne (last edited Jun 11, 2017 09:52PM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 16, A book written in a series of letters The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 16: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 17. A book written about mythology American Gods

18. A book about a difficult subject Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

19. A book from a genre or sub-genre that you've never read - The Things They Carried

message 18: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 5 comments 21. A book published in 2017 - Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

message 19: by Dianne (last edited Jul 28, 2017 11:20AM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments I just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin. It's one of my favorite reads this year. I'd highly recommend it. I read it as a book with unreliable narrator. Now I've go to make myself finish White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide. It's well written and very important, but very difficult to read because it's so upsetting. I'm reading Astrophysics for People in a Hurry at the same time because it gives me something else to think about that is totally different.

message 20: by Dianne (last edited Aug 27, 2017 12:22PM) (new)

Dianne | 5 comments I've changed my mind about two of the books I planned on reading.
I'm afraid they're too long and I won't hit my goal. I"m replacing
a book that takes places in wartime. I'm going to read All Quiet on the Western Front. Also, I'm not going to read a book with a difficult topic. I read several of those recently so I'm going with a book with pictures in it - On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein

In September, I'll read 3 books All Quiet on the Western Front, and On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein

22. A book with a title with a name in it The Lies of Locke Lamora