What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > American Indian coming of age; teenage boy is a "horsecatcher" and is with the Comanches at the end of the story

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments The end is all I remember; the teenage boy is a "horsecatcher" and is with the Commanches at the end of the story and is trying to decide which or both of two beautiful commanche girls to marry. Not "Komantica" by Keith and not "horsecatcher"by Sanders.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
About what year did you read it?

message 3: by Yaritza (new)

Yaritza Morales | 6 comments Could it be this? The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman ...

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments sorry, best I can do is in the 70's. The protagonist was an indian boy whose tribe did not value a horsecather

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4224 comments Did you mean Mari Sandoz instead of Sanders? I was going to suggest The Horsecatcher

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I already have Horsecatcher. A wonderful read. What I am think og does remind me of this book and Kommantica by keith yet it is neither one.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35101 comments Mod
Robert, is the boy part or completely Indian (from a tribe other than the Comanches)?

Is one particular horse featured in the story?

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I believe he is not Comanche but respected for his horse catching skill. I do not believe one horse is featured either.

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina (gg70) | 25 comments I'm thinking of Dance Back the Buffalo. It's about someone who's caught between worlds, of Native and white. It starts when he's about ten, I guess, and goes till he's maybe 30 or so.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35101 comments Mod
Dance Back The Buffalo by Milton Lott - Gina's suggestion

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I'll check it out. Does not ring any bells buy it's worth a look. Thanks

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Robert is still looking for this.

Robert, were you able to rule out Gina's suggestion then?

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Will check on this soonest

message 14: by ༺Kiki༻ (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 54 comments Maybe one of Glenn Balch's novels? Indian Saddle-up is about a Comanche boy named Twisted Foot, who helps bring horses to his tribe.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Picked this up and will get back to all; put this down as a maybe. Although I seem to remember the main character was not Commanche but was found acceptable because of his horsecatching.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Not "Indian Saddle-Up" although it is much closer. Still looking!

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Similar but not the one I am looking for. Thanks for the good effort.