2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

You Belong to Me (Romantic Suspense, #12; Baltimore, #1)
This topic is about You Belong to Me
You Belong to Me > Question I

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 18, 2017 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Lucy's mother, Kathy, was a victim of domestic abuse. Is her story representative of what we see in real life where she wasn't strong enough to protect her child, nor would she leave her abuser?

Anita (anitanodiva) | 817 comments It was like something from my generation, the 50's, when women were totally dependent on men for everything. Kathy was a doctor, so she was educated. It is really sad, but true, that some women, even educated, self supporting women, sometimes just can't break the cycle of abuse.

It's very hard to understand intellectually but I've witnessed it and saw how the abuser methodically tears down the woman's self esteem and makes her think he's the only one who will "tolerate" her and her deficiencies. It's a sick cycle and very difficult to get how the children come third.

FYI, I was sort of pleased that Evan killed Ron Trask.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 817 comments After the way he walked away from Lucy and didn't even try to help her, I cheered when he died.

He was scum.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 39 comments It's hard to believe an intelligent woman can be manipulated like Lucy's mom was and yet it happens all the time. I thought this part of the story was sadly realistic.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments You're all spot on regarding this abusive situation. Sadly, it rings true and crosses all parts of the social spectrum. It's wonderful that Lucy broke out of the system, especially after all her early acting out. What a gift it was for her to study the violin at the school for girls.

What a gift she got from the Pughs who took her under their wings.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) The only part I had a little bit of trouble with was that she was a doctor and could have easily taken care of herself and her children. She had to of had enough self confidence to attend medical school so I found that part a little bit different. Although, I am often shocked by what some people will put up with from "the person they love" and she knew she would be leaving her son behind.

My experience with victims of domestic abuse of this nature is it doesn't have anything to do with the woman's ability to support herself. It's the snuffing out of her confidence and self esteem, whereby the abuser is the only person willing to "suffer" her. I've watched women who were vibrant and smart be transformed into people I could no longer recognize. The abusers know how to psychologically control their victims. It's insidious.