LS Healthy Reads Book Club discussion

Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hoku (last edited Jan 18, 2017 01:47PM) (new)

Hoku Krueger | 51 comments Mod
Welcome to LIVESTRONG.COM's Healthy Reads Book Club, an interactive, online community for people who want to read up on the latest in fitness, health and wellness. Before jumping in, introduce yourself!

1. Where are you joining us from?
2. What is your favorite healthy read or wellness author?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Hello, my name Jennifer and I'm excited to join in. I live in Ohio.

message 3: by Hoku (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Hello, my name Jennifer and I'm excited to join in. I live in Ohio."

Welcome Jennifer! :D

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Hoku wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hello, my name Jennifer and I'm excited to join in. I live in Ohio."

Welcome Jennifer! :D"

Thank you!

message 5: by Loris (new)

Loris Simcik | 3 comments Hi, I'm Loris and after the reading the LS article on hygge I ordered Signe Johansen's book.

message 6: by Hoku (new)

Loris wrote: "Hi, I'm Loris and after the reading the LS article on hygge I ordered Signe Johansen's book."

Hi Loris, that's amazing! How to Hygge is an incredible read - I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 7: by snackywombat (last edited Feb 09, 2017 02:36PM) (new)

snackywombat (v.m.) | 1 comments Hi I'm Valaer! I live in Los Angeles which doesn't get very cold weather but I love the idea of find "cozy" ways to enjoy the outdoors, food and friends. My fave healthy read is anything the Gabrielle Bernstein writes.

message 8: by Hoku (new)

snackywombat wrote: "Hi I'm Valaer! I live in Los Angeles which doesn't get very cold weather but I love the idea of find "cozy" ways to enjoy the outdoors, food and friends."
Welcome Valaer :D

message 9: by Sandy Myodo (new)

Sandy Myodo Gougis (myodo) | 1 comments I'm Sandy, from Claremont, CA. I love reading, and I'm looking forward to some "healthy" reads!

message 10: by Hoku (new)

Sandy wrote: "I'm Sandy, from Claremont, CA. I love reading, and I'm looking forward to some "healthy" reads!"

Welcome Sandy! :D Can't wait to hear what your thoughts!

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica (mmfromdc) | 2 comments HI. I'm Monica from the DC area. My favorite health and wellness authors include: Sara Gottfried, Andrew Weil, Gary Taubes, Mark Bittman, Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh, Arianna Huffington, Michael Moss, and Michael Pollan, to name a few. Look forward to discussing this topic with like minded peeps!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Hi I am Beth from Maine and started seriously spring cleaning after going too long living in a mess, and just surviving winter. I like to read advise from Dr. Weil, Wayne Dyer, Thich Nat Hanh, Tricycle Magazine, Louise Hay, spiritual books, cook books for inspiration. I just ordered the book so will have to enjoy what others have to say. I am not excited by the cussing but will try to remain open!

message 13: by Hoku (new)

Beth wrote: "Hi I am Beth from Maine and started seriously spring cleaning after going too long living in a mess, and just surviving winter. I like to read advise from Dr. Weil, Wayne Dyer, Thich Nat Hanh, Tric..."
Welcome Beth! Happily there isn't too much swearing in Hoffman's book (aside from the occasional f-word). Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences :D

message 14: by Hoku (new)

Monica wrote: "HI. I'm Monica from the DC area. My favorite health and wellness authors include: Sara Gottfried, Andrew Weil, Gary Taubes, Mark Bittman, Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh, Arianna Huffington, Michael ..."
Welcome Monica! It seems like you're a vet when it comes to wellness reads, you'll have to share some of your favorite books. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica (mmfromdc) | 2 comments Thanks for the warm welcome, Hoku. I'm a health coach so it's my thing!

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 1 comments Hello, all! I decided to join this group after I read the LS article about Unf*ck Your Habitat. I'm a fairly avid reader but pretty new to the... "healthy" genre, though I have been reading books on Buddhism, being present, and meditation lately. I joined looking for good and healthy ideas. I am a stay-at-home mom to four kids (15 yrs to 9 months) and the spouse of a military member, so you can imagine that I need a lot of troubleshooting. :)

message 17: by Hoku (new)

Meghan wrote: "Hello, all! I decided to join this group after I read the LS article about Unf*ck Your Habitat. I'm a fairly avid reader but pretty new to the... "healthy" genre, though I have been reading books o..."
Welcome Meghan! Thank you for joining the group, I hope Hoffman's book is as helpful to you as it's been for me. Mindfulness is definitely a huge part of wellness so I'm sure there'll be a lot of overlap for you. Can't wait to hear what you have to think!

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 3 comments Hi, I'm Melvyn, I love reading books, nice group we have here, thanks for sharing!

message 19: by Hoku (new)

Master Melvin M. wrote: "Hi, I'm Melvyn, I love reading books, nice group we have here, thanks for sharing!"

Welcome Melvin! Thanks for joining - I look forward to hearing your thoughts on our selections :D

message 20: by Elvis (new)

Elvis Crews | 1 comments Hello everyone.

This is Elvis and i am very excited to to start reading in this group. Truly love reading also

message 21: by Hoku (new)

Saskia wrote: "Hi! I live in New Jersey, and my favorite "healthy" read I guess has been The Cozy Life by Pia Edberg, which is about the Danish practice of Hygge. I'm excited to start here with next month's book!"

Welcome Saskia! I've never read The Cozy Life, but that's SUCH a coincidence because we read How to Hygge by Signe Johansen in this book club a few months ago! I'd definitely recommend it if you're not totally Hygge'd-out already

message 22: by Hoku (new)

Elvis wrote: "Hello everyone.

This is Elvis and i am very excited to to start reading in this group. Truly love reading also"

Hi Elvis! Thank you so much for joining! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on our selections :D

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura Luzzi (hopeluzzigmailcom) Hi. My name is Laura from Pt, Pleasant Beach, NJ. This has to be good. Good is good.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi my name is Ammar and i come from Dubai, i am happy to join the group.
I'm new to the reading world (compared to most people) so please suggest some good books if you know and i'm looking forward to some healthy reads =)

message 25: by Hoku (new)

Laura wrote: "Hi. My name is Laura from Pt, Pleasant Beach, NJ. This has to be good. Good is good."

Welcome Laura! :)

message 26: by Hoku (new)

A wrote: "Hi my name is Ammar and i come from Dubai, i am happy to join the group.
I'm new to the reading world (compared to most people) so please suggest some good books if you know and i'm looking forwar..."

Thanks for joining Ammar! I'm excited to hear what you think about our picks!

message 27: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Hi I am Marieke and I am from the Netherlands! I am very interested in health relating topics, but haven't read many health books yet. So I am looking forward to hearing some suggestions :)

message 28: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Hi I'm Raj. I'm from the UK. Delighted to be part of this group. Topics on health & well being are close to my heart. Hence my first book which speaks of managing the craving to smoke. It's called CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING.

Would love feedback!

message 29: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Guys you can check out CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING on these sites:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

http://www.booklaunch.io/cravings26/c...

message 30: by Hoku (new)

Marieke wrote: "Hi I am Marieke and I am from the Netherlands! I am very interested in health relating topics, but haven't read many health books yet. So I am looking forward to hearing some suggestions :)"

Welcome Marieke! Hopefully you like our picks :D If you want, you can post a new topic asking people for some suggestions!

message 31: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Hi I'm Raj from the UK. I am a freelance writer and poet. Just published my first book called CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING.
It's about helping people quit smoking in a 'watchful' mindful way.
I like subjects on health and would like to meet new people.

message 32: by Farheen (new)

Farheen Khan (flawedfarheen) | 1 comments Hello Everyone:) This is Farheen Khan From India. I've recently joined Goodreads, do add me in your friend list.

message 33: by Berin (new)

Berin | 1 comments Hi i'm Berin from NY :)

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 1 comments Hello all! I am Christine.

1. Where are you joining us from?
The beautiful state of South Carolina, heaven on earth.

2. What is your favorite healthy read or wellness author?
Hm. For wellness I periodically read Siddhartha and Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life and theistic study...think C.S. Lewis.

For healthy living, I'm not gonna lie, my health/food/exercise philosophy comes from cookbooks. I recommend The First Mess Cookbook: Vibrant Plant-Based Recipes to Eat Well Through the Seasons and The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out, which both offer healthy lifestyle advice along with some pretty convincing vegan recipes (I'm gonna be honest, I am a token vegan: if it tastes good, I cook it. My husband is the "real" vegan).

Can't wait to see what y'all read each month!

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Mckenna | 3 comments Hoku wrote: "Welcome to LIVESTRONG.COM's Healthy Reads Book Club, an interactive, online community for people who want to read up on the latest in fitness, health and wellness. Before jumping in, introduce your..."

I'm Christine and I'm from Northern Virginia (right now; I relocate fairly often). I am excited to have found this group because I am interested in quite a few of the books mentioned her. I believe in a holistic approach to wellness, so my favorite relevant reads include Thich Nhat Hanh's books and Pema Chodron's books, already mentioned as favorites by others here, and also books on healthful plant-based eating, including those by Dr. Neil Barnard and T. Colin Campbell. Also, more of a cooking guide, but it's important to know how to make it work, the recently-published Yum Universe Pantry to Plate. My yoga posture, breathing, and meditation practice is essential to my well-being, and I trend toward traditional authors such as B.K.S. Iyengar and T.K.V. Desikachar--I prefer to make my own choices about how and what to "westernize"; I particularly enjoyed Desikachar's The Heart of Yoga. And I'm beginning to de-clutter seriously but consider Marie Kondo too extreme.

I haven't listed my favorites elsewhere in GoodReads because I haven't started them recently, and I don't plan to finish with them ever (and that seems to be the general format for book entries).

Look forward to discussion with all of you!

message 36: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Hi Christine. Great to see you here. Noticed you are into holistic wellness , include Yoga.
Interestingly, I have only recently published a book called CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING. It's about helping smokers manage their cravings in a 'watchful' mindful way.

See here: http://www.booklaunch.io/cravings26/c...

You'll find it on Amazon and other online retailers.
Light&Peace
Raj

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine Mckenna | 3 comments Thanks, Raj. While not a smoker myself, I am often asked for advice about habit change in my work at a fitness center, so I will look into your recommendations.

message 38: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Would love to know more about your work Christine.
Basically, my book goes off the beaten track by making the quit journey less of a struggle.

I get a lot of benefit from Kundalini yoga and want to get deeper into Tantra. I've only just touched the surface here.
On another note I've just finished reading and interesting book called "Ageing Backwards". You heard of it?

Love&Light
Raj

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine Mckenna | 3 comments I'm just interested in mainstream wellness and came to this group because I am attracted to the books recommended here. I've just ordered two of them, and am looking forward to reading and discussing them.

message 40: by Kay Kay (last edited Jun 18, 2017 04:47AM) (new)

Kay Kay | 1 comments Hi! I'm new to the group and interested in reading some of the suggested books! I was looking back to see if I could learn the discussion format and I was wondering if you discuss the suggested books?

message 41: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Hi, great to meet you here. You might be interested and spreading thw ord about my book CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING. It's a quit smoking book with an effective twist. Check it out here: http://www.booklaunch.io/cravings26/c...

You'll find it on Amazon and other retailers. Just 58 pages!

message 42: by Raj (new)

Raj Fernandes | 7 comments Hi Christine. I share your interests. Just written my first book. It's called CURIOSITY KILLED THE CRAVING. It helps you watch your cigarette cravings in a curious, mindful way. http://www.booklaunch.io/cravings26/c...

I am also a yogi and practice mindfulness. I love discussing diet too. Like to share?

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 3 comments Hoku wrote: "Master Melvin M. wrote: "Hi, I'm Melvyn, I love reading books, nice group we have here, thanks for sharing!"

Welcome Melvin! Thanks for joining - I look forward to hearing your thoughts on our sel..."

Thanks Hoku, you can count on Me!