Mock Caldecott 2017 > Mock Awards and More

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 248 comments Mod
The winner of our Mock Caldecott is:

They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel

Do you agree with our choice? Do you think it is a strong contender for the real Caldecott award? Do you think it will appeal to children?

Most importantly... do you think it is "distinguished?"

Let us know...

Niki (Daydream Reader) | 42 comments My students loved it! It has kid appeal for sure! I read it with K-4th grades.

Laura Harrison | 336 comments Kristen wrote: "The winner of our Mock Caldecott is:

Do you agree with our choice? Do you think it i..."

You bet it is distinguished. I was fortunate to see artwork from They All Saw a Cat at The Society of Illustrators Original Art exhibit this past fall. It was absolutely enchanting. Wenzel's mixture of colors and how he creates such vibrancy is masterful. His work is quite unique and accessible. I would love it to win. I have to say I also adore Lane Smith's There is a Tribe of Kids. It is one beautiful book.

Susan Schiller | 38 comments I agree that They All Saw A Cat is a good choice. The artwork helps children understand the concept of perspective in a simple and effective way. From our list, I would select three honor books, although Before Morning was on my top three.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Bell (ohlibrarianio) | 6 comments Distinguished? Yes! From the first time I read this book I thought it was pretty special. The art was thoughtful on so many levels - the process, the science behind it, perspective, etc. It was all around just delightful, fun, and can be universally enjoyed.

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 82 comments Through the use of an amazing public library, I have read every 2016 children's book I could find! Some I shared with my grandson, recently turned the big two! He was attracted to this book! In the hands of a young child, an attention grabbing story is an ultimate test of greatness! Best wishes for Caldecott, Brendan Wenzel!

message 7: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 69 comments I read this to K-6 classes, and they all loved it.

message 8: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 69 comments I wouldn't have chosen it for the Medal, just an Honor.
"There is a Tribe of Kids" remains my top choice.

message 9: by Kristen (last edited Jan 23, 2017 10:50AM) (new)

The 2017 Caldecott awards are:

Caldecott Medal -

Radiant Child The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat by Javaka Steptoe

Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat illustrated and written by Javaka Steptoe

Honor Awards -

Leave Me Alone by Vera Brosgol Freedom in Congo Square by Carole Boston Weatherford Du Iz Tak? by Carson Ellis They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel

Leave Me Alone illustrated and written by Vera Brosgol

Freedom in Congo Square illustrated by R Gregory Christie and written by Carole Boston Weatherford

Du Iz Tak? illustrated and written by Carson Ellis

They All Saw a Cat illustrated and written by Brendan Wenzel

Do you agree with their choices?

Laura Harrison | 336 comments Radiant Child is incredibly creative and beautiful. I liked it very much. All four honor books are indeed stand outs. I am not crazy about Leave Me Alone! The artwork is very good but I'm not a big fan of the story. I'm sorry The Lost House by Brian Cronin and There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith weren't recognized. I think the ridiculous controversy regarding Smith's book may have hurt its chances. So unfair. It is a glorious book.

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 50 comments I was shocked by Leave Me Alone.
I was happy to see our Caldecott winner on the list (2017 Honor)
I was shocked to not see Thunder Boy Jr. I thought the art work was amazing!!!
I am happy to see representation of people of color....characters, author and illustrators.
Looking forward to next year!!!

message 12: by Kristen (last edited Jan 23, 2017 12:18PM) (new)

I was surprised about Thunder Boy Jr. as well. And yes, wonderful to see diversity!

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 82 comments Congrats to the winners!!! Surprised Thunder Boy Jr. was overlooked. Also, wished a community book such as Night Gardener, Uncorker of Ocean Bottles, or Maybe Something Beautiful weren't selected. So many outstanding books in children's literature this year!!! On to a new year...

Laura Harrison | 336 comments I loved every one of the titles you mentioned. It would have been great if they awarded the honor to two more titles. I believe six honors is the maximum allowed. Any of those books were worthy.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Dean | 41 comments So thrilled with such diverse illustrators and topics! I must admit however, with such a rich year for so many outstanding choices, why on earth did "Leave Me Alone!" win an honor? I don't think we ever discussed it in this thread, and it was not on my radar at all. When I finally saw the book I was disappointed that it took a spot for other more deserving choices (so many that could have filled the #4 honor award!).

Laura Harrison | 336 comments Patty wrote: "So thrilled with such diverse illustrators and topics! I must admit however, with such a rich year for so many outstanding choices, why on earth did "Leave Me Alone!" win an honor? I don't think we..."

I was surprised as well. Betsy Bird; children's book expert extraordinaire, considered Leave Me Alone! one of the best books of the year. I borrowed a copy of the book immediately and studied every spread . The artwork is original and accurately detailed (like which position the knitting needles should be in, etc.). I didn't find it distinguished however, and I didn't like the unpleasant tone or the story very much at all. I didn't buy or recommend it. The fact that Some Writer! by the brilliant Melissa Sweet was ignored boggles my mind. It is one of the best and most gorgeous children's books I have ever seen or read. I have almost 50 years of book reading and book loving behind me. About half of those years I dedicated to studying them. Sweet had a diorama of one of her spreads on display in NYC last fall. I spent at least a half hour just oohing and aahhing it. I believe it is her best work. Still shaking my head over its exclusion.

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam Juliano | 21 comments Any notion that LEAVE ME ALONE isn't one of the very best picture books of the year is way off the mark. It won my own Mock Caldecott by a landslide. And this was conducted with 170 first graders. Choosing it was a stroke of genius!! Here is my own Caldecott Medal Contender review of it posted a short while back.

https://wondersinthedark.wordpress.co...

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Juliano | 21 comments Yes Sweet's book is gorgeous, and she is a lovely woman too. But there are plenty of great books that weren't included. This is Not A Picture Book, Uncorker of Ocean Bottles, Real Cowboys, There Was a Tribe of Kids, The Knowing Book, Ideas Are All Around, Be A Friend, Fearless Flyers, Miracle Man, Cricket Song, and so many others. I am not shaking my head at all. I think the committee did a stupendous job! And LEAVE ME ALONE really rocks!!! :

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess (jessmonster) | 21 comments I was so happy to see Leave Me Alone recognized - my 3 year old and I both found it hilarious, and it's one of those picture books that really holds up to reading aloud over and over and over. I love seeing a book with humor recognized, and it's a story where the illustrations and text have a strong interplay and really depend on each other. I loved the folktale flavor with unexpected twists, and as an introvert I appreciated that it celebrates the need for occasional peace and quiet.

I would have loved to see Some Writer get some kind of recognition - Sibert, Newbery, Caldecott, anything.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam Juliano | 21 comments Yes THUNDER BOY JR. is a sensational book. Sad it didn't make it. But I understand there will be disappointments with every awards. They just can't accommodate all the deserving books, which is understandable.

Cathy (cathyothelibrarian) | 6 comments Some Writer did win the NCTE Orbis Pictus award formnon-fiction. I also loved Leave Me Aline and was quite happy to see it picked. Caldecott is an award specifically for illustration, so while This is Not a Picture Book certainly had merits, it was never a contender for this award. All and all a great year for Caldecott I think.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gillis | 8 comments Yes, one needs to remember that whether or not you like the story is irrelevant to the Caldecott award, it is only about the illustration.

Laura Harrison | 336 comments I don't believe that is true at all. One of the criteria for the Caldecott is the “appropriateness of style of illustration to the story, theme or concept." The committee will look at the picture book as a whole (as opposed to just the illustrations). People expect the story of a Caldecott winner to be good.

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 360 comments Cathy wrote: "Some Writer did win the NCTE Orbis Pictus award formnon-fiction. I also loved Leave Me Aline and was quite happy to see it picked. Caldecott is an award specifically for illustration, so while This..."

I am so glad that the teachers recognized the merits of this wonderful biography! I was disappointed that none of the ALA committees awarded it with anything.

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 82 comments I agree, Beverly. E.B. White said in his book (s) that he could best be remembered by reading his books and visiting the places he wrote about. No museums! I felt like an ALA award would keep this books on library shelves for checking out, of course! This would serve as a museum tribute to a great writer. I hope people will read this book, if they haven't already! It is refreshing!

message 26: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess (jessmonster) | 21 comments Cathy wrote: "Caldecott is an award specifically for illustration, so while This is Not a Picture Book certainly had merits, it was never a contender for this award. "

Are you thinking of The Book with No Pictures? This Is Not a Picture Book! would certainly be eligible, since it is illustrated.

Glad to hear that Some Writer got the Orbis Pictus!

Cathy (cathyothelibrarian) | 6 comments Oops yes, of course the Book with No Pictures, my mistake!

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam Juliano | 21 comments Sergio Ruzzier's fantastic THIS IS NOT A PICTURE BOOK was of course one of the greatest works of 2016 and was in the Caldecott hunt till the very end for sure.

Marcie (marcieloveskidslit) | 24 comments Sam wrote: "Sergio Ruzzier's fantastic THIS IS NOT A PICTURE BOOK was of course one of the greatest works of 2016 and was in the Caldecott hunt till the very end for sure."

I do agree and if nothing else it should be read, particularly by teachers, as the endpapers are brilliant.