COOKIES! discussion

Chit chat > What is your favorite baked good?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 530 comments Mod
I know that this group is named "Cookies" but all baked goods are appreciated here. So, if you're not baking, munching or dreaming about cookies, what do you like to consume in the baked goods/desert category? Me, cake. I love cake, brownies, ice-cream, ....if it's sweet, I will probably eat it.

How do you feel about nuts, fruit and other add-in's for baked goods? I mean like with cookies and brownies, not pie. I only bake with nuts on a rare occasion. I like most nuts, but I have never cared for walnuts or pecans (too bitter for me). Not all nuts are good for baking, and since I bake and take alot, I'm afraid of alergies. I certainly do NOT wish to hospitalize anyone with my baked goodness.

Fruit's are alright, I mostly drift to cranberries and cherries (dried) and find that an oatmeal base works well. I also have put both in brownies and they have worked well. Dried cranberries added to an apple pie are a very nice and unexpected touch.

What about the rest of you out there? What do you like?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I like just about anything that is fresh-baked. This morning, greeted by another cold and rainy day, I popped a can of Pilsbury cinnamon rolls into the oven! They were good.

To make up for it, I baked rhubarb bread later in the day. Rhubarb is in season and I usually make a crisp out of it. The bread called for nuts, which I like in breads, but my daughter doesn't. So, it was a no nut bread.

message 3: by Merry (new)

Merry (m75248) Well right now, I am into carrot cake - as it has good stuff in it and little sugar (just don't count the icing) .... and I love biscuits! But I have yet found a made from scratch recipe I like ....oh and do dumplings count? I am into making chicken soup and I like to experiment with different dumpling mixes -

....and I did make for the 4th or 5th time a Chocolate Ganache Cake, from the Ina Garten cookbook - it is a single layer, super easy and it is my go to cake to make for people for their birthday! You can't mess it up and it is only one layer and not overwhelming to make or eat! The ganache icing super simple, just pour it on the cake - TA DA you're done! Beautiful and yummy!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The cake sounds wonderful! I love biscuits, too. I have a recipe for cornmeal drop biscuits that I like to make. I've never had much luck with rolled/cut biscuits.

message 5: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

You ought to post your recipe in our quick bread file. I would love to have another use for cornmeal.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I will post the cookbook first:
The Cornbread Book: A Love Story with Recipes. I love this book and the author is just this kid who loves to bake! He also wrote Desserts That Have Killed Better Men Than Me which is filled with decadent desserts!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is a link to Jeremy's blog, with two new recipes!

Corn Puffs

message 8: by Claere (last edited Jun 07, 2010 04:41AM) (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 59 comments BROWNIES!!! CAKES!!! COOKIES!!! PIES!!! PASTRIES!!!
But my ultimate favorite is... PUDDING!!! Especially PEACH PUDDDINGGGG!!!

message 9: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Check out the brownie folder. Peach pudding? Please post the recipe for that!

message 10: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 59 comments i want to post it, but the problem is that it's a recipe from "The Practical Encyclopedia of Baking" so i think it would be violating rights to post that.

message 11: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Just tell us where you got it. As long as you give credit to the source, you should be o.k.

message 12: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 59 comments all right. now i'm to lazy to post it. the recipe is really long and complicated.