The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Book Discussions > The Great Gatsby

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (last edited Jan 16, 2017 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
I was really excited when The Great Gatsby was the winner of the February book poll. I think this is one of those books that a lot of people have already read, but it gets better and better each time you read it. It's probably one of my 3 favorite books of all time.

Our discussion will begin on February 1st and run through the end of the month (28th). I'm hoping we'll get a lot of participation in our discussion! A lot of people participated in Wild so that's so exciting!

Nikole is going to be our group leader for this book, and as we wait for the discussion to begin feel free to share your thoughts, hopes, expectations, etc. for Great Gatsby. Here's a few points to get us started:

Have you previously read The Great Gatsby?
Did you see the movie?
Did you like the book or movie better?
If you only saw the movie, what did you think and what do you think will be different in the book?
If you haven't seen the movie but read the book- were you interested in watching the movie? How do you think it will compare?
Do you remember the Great Gatsby reference in Gilmore Girls?

Who would be up for watching the movie after the book discussion?

message 2: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

Have you previously read The Great Gatsby? Yes, I've read it several times actually and I'm still really excited every time I get to re read it!

Did you see the movie? Yep, I saw it in theaters when it came out.
Did you like the book or movie better? Book, 100%!

If you only saw the movie, what did you think and what do you think will be different in the book? I've read the book several times, but I did not enjoy the movie at all, unfortunately. :/

Do you remember the Great Gatsby reference in Gilmore Girls? I'm going to have to look up the reference! I can't remember it.

message 3: by Claudio (last edited Jan 16, 2017 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claudio (flamewing23) | 14 comments I like the Great Gatsby, the reason why i didn't vote it it's cause i've already read and spent almost 3-4 months of school last year talking about it in my English class XD we even expanded the discussion from the themes of this book to the roaring twenties in general, and i remember all of this cause several question on my final exam were about it So you can see why i wanted to read something else :P Well, maybe this time i will read it in Italian!

Oh, I've never seen the movie, i was a little interested in it but everyone keep telling me that it's not a good movie :/

message 4: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona (monakersch) | 4 comments I haven't read it yet and I also haven't seen the movie, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Plus, it's free on the Amazon Kindle app! ;)

message 5: by Rosa (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa | 42 comments I was suppose to read it in high school, but didn't haha. Such a rebel! :P I'm really excited to actually read it this time though. I have not seen the movie either.

message 6: by Mah (new)

Mah | 1 comments Didnt see the movie or read the book. I'm french so in school we never talked about English Classic littérature. Being a fan of the show I'm happy to read this book for the first Time :)

message 7: by Rosa (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa | 42 comments http://rainerlife.com/books/book-list...

Found this, season 3, episode 11. I remember the comment, but I will have to rewatch the episode soon!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments I love this book :) I read it in college and also saw the new movie version :)

Irla Svendsen | 3 comments Wow, never read it or seen the movie! I got the english version (I'm brazilian) I hope that I am capable of reading it.
Only then I will see the movie. Super excited to start!

message 10: by Sonick (new)

Sonick | 5 comments Im really curious about it...heard its great book, but I have never read it nor seen the movie.
Actually i saw this episode yesterday so i remember the reference really well :)

Nikole Campbell (nacampbell) Hello everyone!
I'm Nikki and I will be leading the group this month. Please be patient with me as this is my first time :) This is a fairly short read compared to the majority of books on the list. I know that everyone reads at different paces and as time allows so I am going to try to gear the discussions in a way that will allow everyone to participate no matter where they are in the book. I do ask one thing, that you try to be at least half way with the reading by the 15th. If anyone has topics that they would like to discuss about the book, please feel free to comment or let me know and I can add it in.

Nikole Campbell (nacampbell) Howdy! So here are my very exciting answers to Laura's prompts...lol

Have you previously read The Great Gatsby? -I have read it many times. In high school, college and and personal time.
Did you see the movie? - I have seen both the original with Robert Redford and the remake with Leo.
Did you like the book or movie better? I preferred the book (as I most usually do) as my imagination is very detailed.
If you only saw the movie, what did you think and what do you think will be different in the book? N/A However, I can compare both movies. I believe that they each have there own good and bad points. The movies were filmed in different eras so I think that allows for creative license. However, they are both very similar in production. My preference is for the original.
If you haven't seen the movie but read the book- were you interested in watching the movie? How do you think it will compare?
Do you remember the Great Gatsby reference in Gilmore Girls? I do not.

Who would be up for watching the movie after the book discussion? Sure.

message 13: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great, thanks Nikole for leading!

alunia I have read this book two years ago (I think) and I do not like it at all so I pass this month.

message 15: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

˗ˏˋ alicja ˎˊ˗ wrote: "I have read this book two years ago (I think) and I do not like it at all so I pass this month."

Ahh! What don't you like about it?

alunia Laura wrote: "˗ˏˋ alicja ˎˊ˗ wrote: "I have read this book two years ago (I think) and I do not like it at all so I pass this month."

Ahh! What don't you like about it?"

Honestly, I don't know haha shame on me but I could not find any sense in the plot, characters were quite interesting but that's all I cannot find any similarity with myself (and that is one of many points I want to find in books).

And even if The Great Gatsby is really short book I had problems with reading it, I was so tired after read 5 pages and I could not resist that weird feeling after finishing it. I think it is just not my type of the books. Maybe if I would read it again, I like it more, but to be honest I don't want to verify that haha

I like the movie better but I have watched it before reading the book (we had it on our English classes). Music and actors are really good, but Daisy isn't my fav character so I don't like her in the movie too.

Amanda Thomas (amandaraethomas) | 7 comments I own both the book and the movie. I haven't read or watched them. I have been meaning to but for some reason I get distracted. I am really excited to finally read it then watch the movie afterward.

Nikole Campbell (nacampbell) Hello everyone! As it is now February and our reading commences with the Great Gatsby I open the discussion. I say as you read the first few chapters what are your thoughts. How does the book draw you in or doesn't? Do you find it to be a page turner or a sedative? How does the writing vary from other literary classics you have read?

Claudio (flamewing23) | 14 comments something that could be interesting, amazon did a tv show recently about zelda fitzgerald, i started to see it today.

Tamsin Having read this book for both college and for fun- I will not be reading it again this time. However, when I first read the book (for college) I hated it, I found the descriptions long and drawn out, I couldn't wait to finish it- or finish picking it apart for essays" When I read it for fun a year later I loved it! The description added to the richness of the lifestyle being described- and Gatsby's love was incredibly endearing. I definitely preferred the book over the movie- Gatsby (DiCaprio) just wasn't how I imagined him to be.

Tamsin Claudio wrote: "something that could be interesting, amazon did a tv show recently about zelda fitzgerald, i started to see it today."

That's next on my to watch list. Love the era and the lifestyle.
Hasn't it been said that The Great Gatsby is based loosely on Fitzgerald's lifestyle (I may be thinking of the wrong person here!)

message 22: by Elba (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments One of my all time favorite rereads. The language in this book is so beautiful and melancholy. "Can't repeat the past? he cried incredulously. Why of course you can!" Gatspy chasing his past. The end has one of my favorite quotes. Here is the quote I like..."Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter-tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.....And one fine morning- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
I saw the older movie with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and I loved it. It mirrored the language and mood of the book and I really liked that. I want to see the newer version with Leo. I am enjoying The GG reading list and look forward to next month. Cheers!

Sarah I hadn't watched the movie or read the book previously. I think the beginning really drew me in. the narrator is a more relatable character observing these larger-than-life characters living this larger-than-life lifestyle. He creates this beautiful, sentimental summer world that I was instantly intrigued by.

Crystal (readinglowry9613) | 10 comments Just started! Trying to catch up for the next book! Loving it so far! What is the next book?

Claudio (flamewing23) | 14 comments there will be a topic where all of us can choose three books from the reading list of Rory, then after some days we have to vote one of the most popular choose

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments Finally finished The Great Gatsby! :)

Crystal (readinglowry9613) | 10 comments Just finished reading! I then went on to watch the 1974 movie of the Great Gatsby ( by far a way better movie then the new Leonardo DiCaprio version)! Prior to reading the book I had seen the new movie however I will say the book's beautiful language was not used as much as it should have been in the movie! Now the 1975 original movie portrayed the book perfectly! I enjoyed comparing the book and this version of the movie!
I will say that what I took from both the book and the movie is two major life "lessons"....
1. You cannot reenact the past like Gatsby went on to believe about his past with Daisy! People change during time. They may still love you or feel the same but it does not mean that you two are still compatible for one another. The past must remain in the past .... and we cannot change it!
2. Money does not buy a fulfilling life. The funeral of Jay Gatsby taught me this. He threw the most elaborate parties for everyone, bought a dress for a lady who tore hers at his party, and always wined and dined everyone around him. However in the end this meant nothing to those people. They were not friends and were not there for Gatsby's funeral! The true relationships we make in life are not built upon materialistic things but rather a deeper emotional relationship!

All and all loved this book! Definitely will stay permanently in my home library!

Kelly | 17 comments Tamsin wrote: "Claudio wrote: "something that could be interesting, amazon did a tv show recently about zelda fitzgerald, i started to see it today."

That's next on my to watch list. Love the era and the lifesty..."

Yes! It's been said that Zelda was his Daisy. He loved her completely, even when it hurt him. Or so I've heard. I'm very excited to start that show and the book it's based on. I've wanted to know more about Zelda and F.Scott for so long!

Kelly | 17 comments I read this in high school, like most, and then reread it about a year ago for fun. The second time around I felt like I could really sense that Gatsby felt his love for Daisy slipping away. He steadfastly tried to ignore it and hold on to the past daisy and his past love for her. But there were some scenes that I just remember thinking that Gatsby could tell Daisy had changed and he had changed, but he'd quickly shut those feelings down.

message 30: by Rosa (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa | 42 comments Just finished, a bit disappointed, as I know this is a classic and is highly rated. I found it kind of dull, I had hoped it would get better with each chapter, but it never really got exciting to me. I plan to still watch the movies though and see what I think of them.

ns510 | 1 comments Hi all!

I just finished it, and absolutely loved it. I hadn't read it before, but I can see myself re-reading this one over the years. The writing is wonderful!

I have seen the movie a few times, and couldn't stop myself from picturing it as I read the book. I enjoyed the movie (the recent one with Leo) a lot, and after reading the book, I think it was a very good, almost faithful adaptation. I possibly felt even more sorry for Gatsby after reading the book. He idolised Daisy, and she couldn't meet those expectations. The person she was when he re-connected with her probably never could. It is so interesting to find out here that Zelda was F. Scott's Daisy! I will have to look into that more.

As for the GG reference, I can't recall, but I will be keeping an ear out as I re-marathon the series!

Tamsin Has anybody watched the series on Amazon prime about the Fitzgeralds? I'm really enjoying it so far, so many elements of Gatsby's life is just like Scott's and Zelda's!

Claudio (flamewing23) | 14 comments i already finished it, it was interesting! waiting for the next season.

message 34: by Gabrielle (new) - added it

Gabrielle Havens | 2 comments I just joined this group and was very excited to see the book we are currently reading is The Great Gatsby. This book has been on my TBR list for quite some time now. :)

message 35: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara The Great Gatsby is not a book that I love. It's a bit dull and I struggle to relate to it. It's a class and era that I find a little repulsive.
I have to say, though, that I like the concept referenced about Gatsby being a man who his 17 year old self conceived. I enjoyed the book much more when I thought of him as a man- boy who has been unable to mature beyond teenage years, and continues to play dress up.
I am interested in watching the movies, both the one the with Robert Redford and the one with Leo DiCaprio.

message 36: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara I'm struck by Fitzgerald noting the struggle of being female in 1920s aristocrat America.

Kelly | 17 comments Sara wrote: "The Great Gatsby is not a book that I love. It's a bit dull and I struggle to relate to it. It's a class and era that I find a little repulsive.
I have to say, though, that I like the concept refe..."

I think part of the point of The Great Gatsby is to show how "repulsive" the upper class can be. The end especially hits on this when no one attends the funeral and Daisy and Tom just continue their lives as if nothing has happened.

Kelly | 17 comments I'm curious if anyone here is a fan of Daisy or has any sympathy for her?

message 39: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara I feel sympathy for her. The best a girl could hope to be is a beautiful, little fool, right? So, she never felt the freedom to live her truth. I imagine she would live the rest of her life with all of her demons lurking just under the surface.

Amanda Siminger | 3 comments I finished this book last night and I enjoyed it. I'm not completely sure why it was banned, since a lot of the story reminded me of what happens in today's world. I think that I learned a lot about how live and loss are the same for everyone, no matter where they land in the economy. I'm just curious about what happened to Dasiy in the end. I think that she wanted to leave her husband, but I don't know if it was ever really told as to what happened with her. I think that she was a pivotal character of the story, and to not know what happened to her kind of makes me wonder if she knew what happened to Gatsby in the end.

sheila | 6 comments i finished this book this morning and it was a pleasant and light read. Although a bit confusing at times I wanted to make sure i’d read the entire thing before even considering watching the movie