Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How Should Our Friends in the Pacific Northwest Stay Cool? (the heat makes our beloved librarian v. snappish)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Apparently our friends in the Pacific Northwest are facing triple digit temps. What should they do to stay cool? Skip work? Sit around naked in the air conditioning? Run through sprinklers? Ideas?

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori 103 in Seattle yesterday. Gonna be at least 100 today. The past 2 days all I've done is lie in bed under my ceiling fan. Nobody is turning on any lights. It was 92 in the house yesterday. It's 83 in the house right now.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

They could run through the sprinklers naked while skipping work.

message 4: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments I would definitely say sprinklers over pools, in that kind of heat pools end up like bath water, and not in a good way. Or sitting in a cooler or bucket of ice would be refreshing. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Another option would be to drink Margaritas, their cold and after enough of them you won't care about the heat.

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments Jim wrote: "Another option would be to drink Margaritas, their cold and after enough of them you won't care about the heat."

That's sounds like my kind of heat buster!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments It's quite obvious really...they should all do the witch-dance, naked, under a full moon, and then wave about as one, chanting Paramore lyrics until the clouds start crying tears of laughter..

XD

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments RIVER! It's the only way to stay cool. We've been trudging out to the Sandy River with the long-suffering dog at the end of work to take a dip. It was 103 on Tues and Weds, and it looks like we've got more in store. I don't know, I'm not going to complain no matter how hellish the interior of our apartment may get. A) Still not as hot as the past 3 summers in Arizona have been and B) still better weather than the other 66% of the year. Mas sol, por favor!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm not skipping work, because work is AIR-CONDITIONED. I would be happy to run through some sprinklers, although I don't think I'd better drink margaritas at the same time. That sounds hazardous! :D

message 10: by Lori (last edited Jul 30, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Lori Logan - you're lucky there's a river near you. In Seattle, if they catch your dog in any water it's a $500 fine. Except for one dog park, which is a mile walk to the actual water, and the walk has absolutely no shade, plus the water part itself is quite small with far too many dogs.

I have found some secluded creeks, and one secluded lake entry but that was crowded when I went 3 days ago. Bleh.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jul 30, 2009 10:06AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments *sigh*

My suggestions are posted as message 37.

:) I didn't feel like writing them all out again. In fact, there are alot of great suggestions in that thread.

I told Gus this morning that I almost feel guilty that we have rain and cool temps here while the pacific northeast and Connecticut are sweltering. Only almost, though... it's been entirely too pleasant this summer here in Arkansas!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I biked to work today - it's going to be hot later, but it's beautiful right now, sunny and low 70s.

I ain't biking home, though...

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You "ain't"?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Something not clear to you, Larry?

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Uh ... no Jackie. Clear as a bell.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Not to fear Heidi! I do remember all those suggestions, especially the towel soaked in ice water placed in front of the fan!

Fortunately, my basement is still refreshing.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::feels bad about barking at Larry:::

message 18: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments That's a real pain, Lori, though I can understand how non-dog lovers would want a place where they did not have to deal with my exuberantly drooling pup. You can't deny a dog a river, especially when it's as hot as it is. That's just cruelty.

It's the crowds that have me really excited for this weekend- it's going to be our first camping trip in the PNW since our return. Ten mile hike into the backcountry should get us far enough away from people to where things aren't insanely crowded around water.

message 19: by Heidi (last edited Jul 30, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I ain't biking home, though..."

I love to use "ain't" when I'm feeling particularly defiant (most especially towards myself). :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's it, Heidi!

I was feeling defiant, Larry.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Yep. Heidi pegged it.

So I went north to the county above King, where they don't have this hate dog mentality. Jumped in the lake, and Raider who is not a big swimmer, joined me. Much fun was had. And oh so heavenly! I'm still wearing my wet bathing suit.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Now I'm jealous! I just took a walk and kept to the shade as best I could, but I still came back all hot and sweaty.

I wish I could pack popsicles in my lunch.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Is the crime going up with the temps. I have heard that happens, and what about humidity, is it also high?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't know about the crime, but the humidity isn't bad at all. 34%, which makes the heat almost bearable if you stay in the shade, don't move, and alternate between ice water and popsicles...

WHICH the store was out of! I did buy ice cream, though.

The popsicle thing did make me FEEL like doing some vandalism. Give me some spray paint, and I would have scrawled "What, are you KIDDING?" on the freezer case at the grocery store...

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Gather a hunting party and stalk the Ice Cream man.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You're right, Bun. In fact, I have one, and I bought some pineapple juice to make popsicles with. But that didn't help a bit with the instant gratification! :|

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: ":::feels bad about barking at Larry:::"

Oh, pshaw. Think nothing of it. It ain't bothering me none.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Madison has been bothering me to make popsicles, I have strawberry juice, that would be yummy.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And so you must.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: ":::feels bad about barking at Larry:::"

Oh, pshaw. Think nothing of it. It ain't bothering me none.

"

Oh, whew! I'm glad, Larry. I felt like hiding behind the ficus and giving myself a timeout for doing that.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Aw don't ever worry about that.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would have thought there would be an emergency shipment arriving real soon. If I were omnipotent there would be.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments When is the rainy season start up there, Jackie?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I suspect there may be popsicles by the time I get home tonight. Chris is good about keeping me happy. ;)

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It never stops, usually, Michelle.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Michelle wrote: "When is the rainy season start up there, Jackie?"

:::Checks watch:::

Just kidding! End of September, usually, Michelle. Usually September is beautiful, in order to torment the kids back in school. ;)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I heard about that! And then, there was silt in the pipes?

message 39: by Knarik (new)

Knarik I want to put my head in a refrigerator!(: It is soooo hot in LA!!!!!

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Go to the movies, it's always to cold in there.

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Not at my fave movie theatre - the AC's been broken for two months now. UGH.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments That's horrible!! It must smell something awful...

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I didn't notice with the popcorn up under my chin. :)

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Michelle wrote: "Gather a hunting party and stalk the Ice Cream man.

"

I'm all for it!