Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Everything I Never Told You
This topic is about Everything I Never Told You
E > Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wendorej | 71 comments I read this book for the 3rd week of the 2017 challenge (a book you meant to read in 2016).
I didn't enjoy this read. I felt very frustrated by the characters. I feel it would have taken very little effort from the characters to avoid the tragedy in the story line. Certain aspects of the plot were believable but the overall story was too far-fetched.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 3503 comments I listened it last year and really enjoyed it, even if some parts were difficult to read.

I liked to discover little by little what happened to the family, I found the insight about racism interesting (especially with an author of color) and I loved the kids. It's a good example of toxic relationships, bad communication and parents unaware (more or less) they're not acting as they should be with their kids.

Jody (jodybell) | 3197 comments I didn't really enjoy it either, Wendorej, it didn't do much for me at all.

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 435 comments I agree it didn't love this book at all. But know some people really did!! We all get different things about of the books!! ;) I know I have been in the minority camp of loving a book that others didn't more than once! But this was not the case with this book!

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 1876 comments I just finished reading this for PopSugar 2017, for the prompt "a book by a person of colour." So far, this has been one of the best books I've read all year.

I definitely agree with Wendorej that it seemed that a little effort could have gone a very, very long way to preventing the tragedy but I got the sense that was part of the point. I loved how the author gave so much backstory to Lydia's parents, and I thought it really explained a lot of how they behaved toward her. I wish there had been a little more about her siblings.

I also loved how the story blended in many of the sexist and racist attitudes of the time, and showed how strong an effect they had on the characters' lives, without this necessarily being an "issues" book. I thought it was a very strong story, and one of the more compelling I've read so far this year.

message 6: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 253 comments I'm starting this one today for the 2017 challenge, Week 13: a book recommended by one of your favorite authors (Roxanne Gay). I've been meaning to read this one for years.

message 7: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 253 comments Five stars. One of the best I've read so far this year.

The only thing I found slightly annoying (view spoiler) Still, does it have to happen in every one of these books?

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 179 comments I read this one last month and really enjoyed it. It was really interesting watching the family dynamic unfold, and I found myself empathizing with the majority of the family, especially poor Hannah.

message 9: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (BookWenchManda) | 1881 comments I read this for my 2017 Challenge, a dual timeline novel. I am all over the place with this book. I loved it and hated all at the same time. The characters were perfect because they were realistic. I loved each of them at moments, and despised them at others.

I initially rated this a 3/5, but as I've thought on it longer I feel it is more of a 4/5.

Kathy | 1068 comments I read this book for week 11, a literary fiction. I agree with several people above that it seems that if the family just talked that the tragedy may not have happened.

That aside, I loved how little by little you found out what was happening. At times I could barely stand the way the characters were acting, but I can see how the characters were realistic.

5 stars

Mary Anne (maryanneclement) | 30 comments I read this book for prompt #33 - A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you - the word I used was "miscommunication" which was born in 1959. Thought that fit since as many said above, if the family just talked then the tragedy may not have happened. I rated it 5 stars -- tough to read at times but the story was very compelling.

Angela | 350 comments I read this for 2018’s Week 13 - a book with a plot centred around a secret. Everyone was keeping secrets from each other, and this resulted in the complete lack of communication which ultimately led to tragedy. I really enjoyed this book, I thought the racism and the sense of not belonging anywhere was sensitively portrayed, and the family dynamics were heartbreaking.