UK Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Beautifully written books

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Hi guys! Can anyone recommend some books with beautiful prose? I'd like to improve my writing as English is not my first language... I really enjoyed the writing in "The Great Gatsby" and "The Bell Jar" for example.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary Greenslade | 4 comments Pride and Predjudice

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Greenslade | 4 comments And I need to check my spelling before submitting.

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophiesworld) | 68 comments The shadow of the wind is written beautifully.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (KathyShuker) | 34 comments Hi Anna, 2 books I've read recently which I thought beautifully written were Hotel du Lac and The Sunlit Night. (I loved The Great Gatsby too. :-))

message 6: by Francesca M (new)

Francesca M | 35 comments Hi Anna, not sure what your reading taste is, but two of the most beautifully written books I have recently read are: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and Just Kids by Patti Smith. Hope this help :)

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 204 comments Tigana by Guy Gabriel Kay Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) | 395 comments Just One Day is beautifully written, I could quote passages from it.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Thanks for all your recommendations! I'll definitely check them out :)

message 10: by Anahit (last edited Jan 13, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

Anahit Arustamyan | 11 comments Angel War by Philip DoddAngel War

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Brennan (RuthBrennan) | 12 comments News of the World by Paulette Jiles is beautifully written. The author is a poet and her writing is vivid and evocative, without being wordy. At 209 pages it's an easy read. (And it's a wonderful story! :))

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (HelenLaycock) | 20 comments One book which really stood out for me was The Goldfinch. Donna Tartt is a masterful writer with not only an absolute command of the English language, but with the most amazing ability to appeal to every sense through the medium of words.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (Regency_Reader) | 97 comments Two books whose prose I adore are The Final Solution by Michael Chabon (it’s short, a novella really) and Dear Mr. You by Mary Louise Parker. Both of them share a quality of eloquence without excess—every word the right word, every word in its place.

message 14: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 2 comments I'm currently reading A Gentleman in Moscow and the writing is wonderful. Enjoying it so much more than I'd expected; there's nothing wrong with the story, but the writing is the thing that is making me just love it.

message 15: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 7 comments Anna: Maria McCann's As Meat Loves Salt is written in a wonderful way, but the language is moulded on 17th century English so it may not be the right thing to use to improve your written language. Anyway, I'd highly recommend it for the amazing story too.
James Purdy's prose is also incredibly rich and layered. And Graham Greene is also great.

message 16: by Renae (new)

Renae Watson | 2 comments Hi my name is Renae Watson. I am a writer. My contemporary romance novella its a flirt is available on amazon kindle unlimited for free. Thanks for your time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074CG...

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (AionHeaven) | 5 comments Heaven by Randy Alcorn!

message 18: by Andre (new)

Andre Govier (andregovier) | 5 comments I never set out for beautifully written, but my reviewers thought so. This is a true story for the emotionally strong.

So grateful for the kind Amazon reviews in my first two weeks with this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079C6JZSR

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1 comments Some of these are classics, and while I agree that they're beautifully written, the language is also quite archaic. For something modern, I would suggest maybe Conclave by Robert Harris. It had a really ethereal feeling to the whole thing, and is really exciting too, which is always a plus!

message 20: by Lep (new)

Lep | 31 comments Well I'd say that any Daphne du Maurier book would fit that requirement and although her books are now classed as 'classics' , they aren't "archaic" in language.

message 21: by Lep (new)

Lep | 31 comments Gary wrote: "Pride and Predjudice"

Except that all Jane Austen books are written in the language of the 18th/early 19th century.

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (drasticAli) | 43 comments Life of Pi has beautiful lyrical prose

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (SuperKev) | 37 comments 'Stoner' by John Williams, is achingly beautiful.

message 24: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 2803 comments Mod
'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' really brings a Greek Island during ww2, and all its inhabitants, to vibrant life.

'Alias Grace' and/or 'Cat's Eye' by Margaret Atwood (In fact, almost anything by Margaret Atwood!) - I've always found her writing affecting - she weaves words beautifully.

message 25: by George (new)

George Bachman | 5 comments John Crowley's Little, Big. His new one Ka Dar Oakley is also gorgeous. Ali Smith's novels are quite beautiful.