Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Morning Star (Red Rising, #3)
This topic is about Morning Star
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Morning Star / Overall Discussion / **SPOILERS**

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 671 comments Mod
I just finished this last night and thought I would start the discussion thread for others when they're done.

Anyone else finish it yet? I'm dying to talk about it. :D

message 2: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - added it

Lancer (eLancer) | 1640 comments Mod
I finished it a while ago. Great series.

message 3: by Tudor (last edited Jan 08, 2017 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tudor Bazac | 18 comments sir Lancer wrote: "I finished it a while ago. Great series."

Great series? It's the best sci-fi series I've read in my life.

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3223 comments Mod
I loved the whole series. I was wary of reading them with the hype but its well earned hype.
I do think this was the weaker of the three books but still mamazing

message 5: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

I would agree Paul. I do think it was the weaker of the 3 books but still so good that that didn't take away from it at all.

Tudor - I would definitely put it at the very top of my favorite sci-fi series ever. I've been trying to read more sci-fi so that could eventually change.

I really thought it was an excellent ending to the series and I would also like my own Goblin to create mayhem please. :3

message 6: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - added it

Lancer (eLancer) | 1640 comments Mod
I would say for me it's a toss up between this and the Silo books for my favourite. These are more sci fi though where Silo was more speculative fiction.

Jessica | 353 comments Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "I just finished this last night and thought I would start the discussion thread for others when they're done.

Anyone else finish it yet? I'm dying to talk about it. :D"

Thanks so much for starting this!

Jessica | 353 comments Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "I would agree Paul. I do think it was the weaker of the 3 books but still so good that that didn't take away from it at all.

Tudor - I would definitely put it at the very top of my favorite sci-f..."

I was pretty happy with the way everything was tied up, and cannot wait to read more in Iron Gold. So much to discuss, but my brain is mush right now.

I would love a Goblin of my own as well!

Tudor Bazac | 18 comments Paul wrote: "I loved the whole series. I was wary of reading them with the hype but its well earned hype.
I do think this was the weaker of the three books but still mamazing"

Yeah it had some flaws, but it was still great.

And I can understand that you think the last book isn't the best. Me neither. I liked Rising Red more because he was more focused on what to do and was learning that not everything is black and white. I loved the fact that he was starting to see that not all golds were bad, as Eo seemed to think. I think that by the third book he lost some of that understanding. But I guess I can't blame him since he was tortured by the Jackal.

message 10: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3223 comments Mod
Still absolutely loved the third book by the way. :-)
I think the first was exceptional though. The build up was amazing . Viewing the overall trilogy its an amazing overall story . Definitely some of the best scifi I've read For me this , Wool ( in agreement with Lancer here) and Old Mans War would be my favourite scifi series.

message 11: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't think there has been much released detail wise about Iron Gold, just that we can expect some of our favorite characters.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Sevro book.

message 12: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roger | 1651 comments Mod
Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "I don't think there has been much released detail wise about Iron Gold, just that we can expect some of our favorite characters.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Sevro book."

I'm a fan of Sevro as well.

message 13: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished this book about a year ago when it first came out and was pretty happy with it. I remember thinking that the "trick" they used wasn't really necessary and it seemed more there to trick the reader than anyone involved in the story.

Jessica | 353 comments I'm not positive I know which "trick" you are talking about Roger...I am thinking of quite a few possibilities, as there were a couple different twists in there. As I write this though, and the coffee begins to take a hold on my foggy brain, you maybe mean the final revelation at the end?
What did everything think of the "deaths"? I am so scared to write too much and ruin the book for anyone.

message 15: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica wrote: "I'm not positive I know which "trick" you are talking about Roger...I am thinking of quite a few possibilities, as there were a couple different twists in there. As I write this though, and the cof..."

This is a thread that is designed to contain spoilers so feel free to talk as openly as you want.

The trick I'm talking about is when they pretend one of the guys is dead (I'm really drawing a blank on that one, Sevro maybe?) I don't know who it was designed to trick by doing it in front of a bunch of people instead of just saying he was dead. I also dislike when the author hides things from the reader to manufacture a surprised like that, to me it's a cheap literary device and there should be a better way to do it.

Jessica | 353 comments Roger wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'm not positive I know which "trick" you are talking about Roger...I am thinking of quite a few possibilities, as there were a couple different twists in there. As I write this tho..."

OK....thanks Roger, I will talk openly! :o)

Ah yes, that trick. I am trying to think back to when I originally read this, and if I really thought Sevro was dead? I think by that point, I had a hunch that it was, indeed, a trick. I didn't really mind it though, it added to the theatrics of the whole thing, and I thought he did a good job writing it. I think what I remember most is just being completely relieved that Sevro was alive. He sort-of did the same thing with Cassius, as he was dragged off, presumably to be killed. I'm still at the beginning of the book with my re-read though, so I am fuzzy on that scene as well. I don't recall as many jaw-dropping shocks in this book as I had at the end of Golden Son with the death of Sevro's father.

message 17: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

I swore at the book when I thought Sevro was dead. I didn't think it was a very good trick but I was relieved when he was indeed alive.

Shawnie | 1051 comments I was also relieved. Sevro fan here! Red Rising was my favorite of the three.

Tudor Bazac | 18 comments Roger wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'm not positive I know which "trick" you are talking about Roger...I am thinking of quite a few possibilities, as there were a couple different twists in there. As I write this tho..."

The problem with that part isn't that the author hides things from the audience, but, in the way the book was written, it makes us think that Darrow saw Sevro die and is dealing with it, instead of knowing that Sevro isn't dead and trying to perform like he is in Antonia's presence.
That's the flaw. Instead of making the main character aware of something that's a surprise to the audience, but making them think around it, authors tend to make him/her think that there's no surprise. And that's really bad when you go back and think "Ooohhh, but he knew that wold happen, why didn't he think about it, if not speak about it".

message 20: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tudor wrote: "Roger wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'm not positive I know which "trick" you are talking about Roger...I am thinking of quite a few possibilities, as there were a couple different twists in there. As I ..."

Very good point Tudor.

Jessica | 353 comments Yes, Tudor....that's a great point. I didn't think about that aspect of it, how he wrote Darrow was really processing his "death".

Marianne (mariannec05) | 7 comments I have finished this late last night. Really enjoyed it. My favourite one after Golden Son.

Was just a bit disappointed in the ending though. Would have liked 20 or so extra pages, as it felt rushed.

Can't wait for the next series. :)

Susie  (SusieND104) | 258 comments Gosh, am I the only dissenter who isn't absolutely in love with the trilogy? Don't get me wrong, I devoured it once I started. The author definitely has mastered the technique of making you want to just keep turning pages. But I felt like I spent an awful lot of time rolling my eyes. Speaking of twists, there were so many that I just assumed I couldn't trust anything, except that Darrow would definitely be fine in the end. Shrug.

message 24: by Esther (last edited Jan 12, 2017 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther Ente (DuckOfDoom) | 3 comments Memory is a bit fuzzy for me because I devoured this series in November and did not feel like re-reading it already, bit I remember that I suspected that Servo wasn't dead, but HAD TO KNOW and read far too long into the night.
But I also remember being a bit annoyed at the author, thinking: "Is he finally done with all the plot twists?" I think there were very good twists but at the end it felt just a little bit overdone.
Tudor also made a very good point above.

message 25: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Interview with Pierce Brown about Iron Gold. Looks like Darrow and Mustang will factor in strongly in the new novel:

Iron Gold Plot Interview

Jessica | 353 comments Susie wrote: "Gosh, am I the only dissenter who isn't absolutely in love with the trilogy? Don't get me wrong, I devoured it once I started. The author definitely has mastered the technique of making you want to..."

Yes, Susie...you are an island with yourself! ;o)

Jessica | 353 comments Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Interview with Pierce Brown about Iron Gold. Looks like Darrow and Mustang will factor in strongly in the new novel:

Iron Gold Plot Interview "

Ohhhhhhh! Fantastic! Thanks for posting this!

Jessica | 353 comments Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Interview with Pierce Brown about Iron Gold. Looks like Darrow and Mustang will factor in strongly in the new novel:

Iron Gold Plot Interview "

hmmmm, I wonder what the "cryptic tease" is that he mentions in the last question? Maybe killing the brother of Cassius in Red Rising?
I'm looking forward to a whole new trilogy.

message 29: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sooo many possibilities. ^__^

Tudor Bazac | 18 comments Jessica wrote: "Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Interview with Pierce Brown about Iron Gold. Looks like Darrow and Mustang will factor in strongly in the new novel:

Iron Gold Plot Inter..."

Well, maybe he refers to Darrow bombing one of Jupiter's moons, because that's a very big sin, if you ask me. Or maybe he's referring to the sons of Ares which Darrow has left behind. That's another pretty big sin.

Susie  (SusieND104) | 258 comments Jessica wrote: "Yes, Susie...you are an island with yourself! ;o)"

Hehe, I'm sure it's not the first or last time! Hopefully it's a nice tropical island. xD

message 32: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 1691 comments Mod
Liked it, didn't love it. Darrow seems to be a wholly different person in this book than the last. I get he went through a lot, but that should've given him PTSD, not a sudden new-found maturity. That, and the above mentioned points about him grieving for Servo, who he knew was alive.

I hated the death of Ragnar, but I understood it. The dizzying array of plot twists and counter-schemes was nicely done. Darrow has given up a lot to get his peace. Let him enjoy it. Leave him alone, Mr. Brown.

message 33: by Lel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lel (LelSpear) | 1072 comments I loved the end to this book. I also swore when I thought that Sevro was dead. I'm with everyone else when they say it is weird that Darrow acted like he was grieving when he knew Sevro was 'alive' all along. But I guess in the authors defense there was no way to be certain that the 'cure' would work so Darrow might have actually been grieving to a point in earnest.

I saw Cassius reverting back though. I couldn't see how it would end any other way. The book needed a flawed, confused character after Roque died.

Margret Read this last year when it came out. Two of my favorite parts were when Roque died (so tense and emotional).. and when Sevro hung himself to make a point... serious heart attack on that I was not expecting it!

Golden Son was my favorite of all 3

message 35: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audrey (NiceyAckerman) | 1702 comments Mod
I liked the series but am not totally in love in it. It's a little too brutal sometimes for me, and sometimes all the reflective contemplation was too long.

I did cuss out the author when I learned Sevro wasn't really dead.