Play Book Tag discussion

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
January 2017: Foreign Literature > Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami 3.75/5

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1364 comments This book started very slow for me and the writing quite choppy. I didn't feel like Murkami. I checked the translator and found it was one who I am not familiar with. It was disappointing, to say the least but just goes to show how important the translator is. I wish Murakami would do his own English translation. I would love to read his writing as written by him. Can't be helped, I guess. Hey -- Haruk --- can I call you Haruk? Would you mind translating your own book? kthanksbye.

There came a point where the book turned and I got fascinated and was hooked through to the end. I really don't want to give anything away, so it's hard to say what I'm going to say but those who read it will probably know what I'm referring to. One of the most interesting aspects in the book was never resolved for me and once I finished the book it left me wondering why it had been there at all. Really frustrating.

It was a quick read once it got going, and had a mysterious element. There was also a lot of philosophical BS which didn't do anything for me.

Solid read, not my favorite Murakami by a mile, and I'm ultimately left a bit baffled.

message 2: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I recently ran into the same thing with a translator on Missing Soluch. There's no way an Iranian book with that much praise can be so choppy. I was so bummed because I normally love Iranian authors.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I started listening to it last week. I was caught up right away (although my mind tends to wander during the philosophic BS) so was quite happy to see you say it picked up at the end. It should hold my interest well then.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments I really liked this one!