Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1)
This topic is about Sleeping Giants
S > Sleeping Giants, by Sylvain Neuvel

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jan 01, 2017 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda I am reading Sleeping Giants for Week 1: A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016.
It was nominated in the Sci-Fi category but didn't win. I tend to not read a lot of Sci-Fi but this one sounded very interesting so I thought I would give it a shot. It also reminded me of the plot for "The Iron Giant" which is one of my favorite movies.

message 2: by Zaz (last edited Jan 02, 2017 06:10AM) (new)

Zaz | 3484 comments I think I saw the Iron Giant, but don't remember it. It'll be interesting to see how you compare them :)

As you, I don't read a lot of scifi, but once in a while it's nice, especially when it's not hard scifi. I'm looking forward to the opinions on this one :)

message 3: by Sophie, Moon Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (Nemone) | 2851 comments Mod
I'm planning to read this book soon, but I don't know for which prompt yet. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Amanda Sophie wrote: "I'm planning to read this book soon, but I don't know for which prompt yet. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!"

I really liked it! It's definitely the first book in a series in that there's not a lot of solid resolution or closure at the end. It does wrap up the plot line in, I think, a good place for a book one. It then immediately hits with a pretty big twist so maybe put it off until April when book two should be out if you're as impatient with cliff hangers as I am. It's written entirely in interviews and some journal entries like World War Z so it could maybe work for week 39's episotlary novel?

Amanda Zaz wrote: "I think I saw the Iron Giant, but don't remember it. It'll be interesting to see how you compare them :)

As you, I don't read a lot of scifi, but once in a while it's nice, especially when it's no..."

Exactly! The only similarity that I found between this book and Iron Giant is that children find robots, which is about what I expected. It was very enjoyable! I liked the retrospective interview writing style as it made the book more of a puzzle; figuring out what had happened since the last interview and reading all the unsaid clues as to what is actually going on as the narrator/ interviewer definitely has his own agenda.

message 6: by Sophie, Moon Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (Nemone) | 2851 comments Mod
Thanks for your review Amanda, I'm excited to read it :)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I really loved this book! It is very inventive and creative and I really enjoyed it. I read it for "an epistolary fiction".

It would also work for:

#1: a book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
#2: a book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view)

Kelley (kstoneking) | 134 comments I read this for #39, epistolary fiction. It was soooo good! The epistolary format is a quick type of read for me. Plus, I love how it reveals the mystery little by little. I love the premise. I loved the characters, even the unknown interviewer. But not Alyssa. Everyone except Alyssa. Overall, I gave this book 4.5 stars. I'm glad I read it now, so I can get the 2nd book asap! LOL!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I loved it too!! Can't wait to read book #2