RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 17, 2017 08:30PM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
Dear members of RMFAO,

I present to you all the 3rd instalment of the most awesome reading challenge on this planet - RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge.

description

For the third year of this challenge, Mod. Dagny and I have decided to do this challenge the old way keeping only one genre per month. We believe that having one genre every month makes it easy for all the members to prepare and organize their reads, while still leaving the room for individual interpretations.
We don't want to burden or restrict you all by giving sub-genres as that creates a set of problems that comes in between the actual reading. This year you can decide on the sub-genres as per your convenience.

Though, we have added an Alternate Genre for the three most unpopular genres, so that you will have the choice to read any of the two genres for these three months - March, April, and November.

RMFAO 2017 Genre-List:
‣ January - Science-Fiction
‣ February - Mystery-Thriller
‣ March - Women's Fiction or Westerns
‣ April - YA or short story/poetry collections
‣ May - Classics/Literary
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ July - Dystopian/Apocalyptic
‣ August - Contemporary Fiction
‣ September - Humour
‣ October - Horror
‣ November - Historical or Steampunk
‣ December - Adventure/Fantasy

Monthly Levels (to be announced each month):
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:
PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

PLEASE READ (especially new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Happy reading <3

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2260 comments Mod
This looks great! Thanks for all your hard work, Heena and Dagny. I know moderating a group can be very time consuming.

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3580 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "This looks great! Thanks for all your hard work, Heena and Dagny. I know moderating a group can be very time consuming."

Thanks, Cheryl! Heena sweated blood on this before we even started revamping it. I think she did a great job of combining the best from our prior years.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1 comments I would like to join this challenge. It looks like fun. I would like to keep it to one book a month.

Thank you

message 5: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "This looks great! Thanks for all your hard work, Heena and Dagny. I know moderating a group can be very time consuming."

Thank you, Cheryl! It wouldn't have been possible at all without Dagny :)

message 6: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Thanks, Cheryl! Heena sweated blood on this before we even started revamping it. I think she did a great job of combining the best from our prior years."

But it was only because of you that I was able to make a list at all, Dagny. I was going through the first list I sent you and I literally cringed. Lol. Thanks a lot for helping out with this list. Now we're all set for the coming year!

message 7: by Heena (new)

Jenn wrote: "I would like to join this challenge. It looks like fun. I would like to keep it to one book a month.

Thank you"

Hey, Jenn. Welcome to the challenge. :)

message 8: by Dagny (new)

Jenn wrote: "I would like to join this challenge. It looks like fun. I would like to keep it to one book a month.

Thank you"

Hi, Jenn. Glad to have you participating!

message 9: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments I would love to take part in this. Sounds amazing. Thank you for the opportunity.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Athira wrote: "I would love to take part in this. Sounds amazing. Thank you for the opportunity."

Excellent, Athira. This is a really fun one.

message 11: by Heena (new)

Athira wrote: "I would love to take part in this. Sounds amazing. Thank you for the opportunity."

Welcome, Athira!

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (bookertalk) Agh, you are kicking off with my least favourite genre......

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Karen wrote: "Agh, you are kicking off with my least favourite genre......"

Karen, that's what I used to say about some of these genres. But after joining this group and participating in these challenges, I found some books in my avoided genres that I actually liked. What helped me was to get recommendations from the other group members. You can ask for books that have what you like in it (i.e. emphasis on characters, no strange aliens, interpersonal relationships) and what you want to avoid (i.e. anything like Star Wars, spaceship battles, a coming of age story) and perhaps people here can suggest a book to try.

But please feel free to just avoid the genre, too. There is absolutely no pressure here!

message 14: by Dagny (new)

I used to read a lot of SF in the 50s and 60s, but all that much any more and often struggle to find one. For this year my main one (which I already have on hold and should get it in 3-4 weeks is Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. I've seen a lot of good recommendations for it.

message 15: by Heena (new)

Sorry to hear that, Karen. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan, but last year I read Dune for this challenge and I was hooked! As Cheryl said, you might find something that you might find interesting.

message 16: by Heena (new)

Forgot to post it here earlier, here's the discussion thread for Science-Fiction Month: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Heena (new)

Here's the discussion thread for Mystery, Thriller Month: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 18: by Heena (new)

ATTENTION!

Discussion board for March - Women's Fiction or Westerns is now up: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

April's genre includes short story/poetry collections. Is it OK to skip some stories or poems in the collections? I was at my library today, and I became overwhelmed when looking at the books of poetry collections. I don't know if I can read that many poems at one time. I do want to expand my reading horizons to include poetry, however. What do I do?

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Glad you posted this, Cheryl. For some reason, my eyes had skipped right over the word "poetry" and only read "short story." I have two huge collections that I need an excuse to browse through. (Robert Frost and Carl Sandburg).

I would imagine we would certainly be able to pick and chose. Some of those books rival War and Peace in length, lol.

Besides the two mentioned above, I'm also fond of Emily Dickinson. For a new one to me, I want to try some of Thomas Hardy's poetry. I enjoy his novels, but don't think I've ever read any of his poetry. There's Lovecraft too! Which reminded me, I have some of Frank Long's short stories.

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Overnight I was thinking about the Poetry and decided how I am going to work it for myself since I'll be sampling poems from various poets. I'm just going to count "Poetry" as one book and list the poets read. I hope to read from about eight different poets. This would be poems from two different poets per week.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Overnight I was thinking about the Poetry and decided how I am going to work it for myself since I'll be sampling poems from various poets. "

Sounds good, Dagny. There are books by poets at my library, but I don't really want to read 300 pages of poetry by Robert Frost at one time. I have a collection by John Updike and by Beat Poets on hold at my library. I will be sampling these, but most likely won't be reading every single poem in each book.

message 23: by Heena (new)

Hello,
Sorry for the delay. Here's the link to the next month's genre challenge thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Heena (new)

Hi guys, here's the thread for July - Dystopian/Apocalyptic Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Happy Reading!

message 25: by Heena (new)

Here's the link for the discussion thread for August - Contemporary Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 26: by Heena (new)

Here's the link to the discussion thread for September - Humour: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Will October be just Horror, or will it include Supernatural? There could be a difference between the two, and so I just wanted to see what was allowed. Will we have new thread for Horror soon?

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Will October be just Horror, or will it include Supernatural? There could be a difference between the two, and so I just wanted to see what was allowed. Will we have new thread for Horror soon?"

I'm thinking supernatural would be included if it's horror - like vampires etc. yes, but Casper the Friendly Ghost no. Make sense? I was reading the page here and it says: 'Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of a supernatural element into everyday human experience.' I'll go over and start the thread and put the whole blurb there.

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " I'm thinking supernatural would be included if it's horror - like vampires etc. yes, but Casper the Friendly Ghost no. Make sense? "

Yes, it makes sense. There are a few books I wanted to read that are more mystery, with a scary ghost whose appearance gives clues to solve it. So I guess that would fit the Horror genre challenge.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "There are a few books I wanted to read that are more mystery, with a scary ghost whose appearance gives clues to solve it So I guess that would fit the Horror genre challenge."

Interesting example as I just mentioned The Mystery of a Turkish Bath by Rita over on the October thread. I spotted it in the Horror/Supernatural category at LibriVox.

message 31: by Heena (new)

November's thread for Historical or Steampunk: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 32: by Heena (new)

Here's the thread for December: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by Heena (new)

Hello all,

We're preparing the next year's genre list and would like to know if any of you have any suggestions. Feel free to share your thoughts.