Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Halfway to the Grave - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Discussion of Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost to begin in August.

Spoilers are welcome.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments LOVE LOVE LOVE this series!!! I just finished the fourth book, and I think this is one of the few series (that I have read) that have gotten better with each book.

I love Bones, I love Cat and I think that Frost took a unique take on vampires. It had just enough to make it different from all the others in the UF and PNR genre that it was interesting and compelling.

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` I have only read the first, as I am in Australia and the bookstore hasn't got the next couple of books in YET! It is killing me! Even though I have only read the first I have completely and utterly fallin in love with the series, so great.

message 4: by Jess (last edited Aug 02, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Melodie.. this thread is a spoiler for the first book in the series not the fourth. If you could please relocate your thread over to the destined for an early grave Spoiler thread. You can talk about the fourth book in length. Thanks

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (trebble) | 27 comments Well, I'm getting close to being done. I've been very impressed with this book so far. There is a lot of humor I didn't expect either.

Anyone else who just started this series?

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments I finished the first book a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot. Especially the dirty talk training, it was hilarious!
I bought the 2nd and 3rd book and will order the 4th if those are ok.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (trebble) | 27 comments I loved the dirty talk training too! That was funny. The ending actually ticked me off and I really hated the FBI. I knew the relationship goes on (it says so on the back of book #2) so I had to start the second one so I won't be so ticked. :)

message 8: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 16 comments I just picked up the third and fourth books today. I wish there were more of them out already because they are so addicting! I read the second one in a day and half because I could not put it down. There are so many different elements to these stories, sex, anger, humor, and even some sad stuff! I found myself tearing up a few times. This is one of the best series I've read in a long time. Now I'm just waiting for some time to start the third one.

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Melissa wrote: "I loved the dirty talk training too! That was funny. The ending actually ticked me off and I really hated the FBI. I knew the relationship goes on (it says so on the back of book #2) so I had to st..."

Yeah I wasn't so happy with the ending either. I thought it was a stupid decision to leave Bones. Not stupid is in: 'how can you leave the man you love,. you nitwit!' but stupid as in: Bones could protect her better than anyone else. It was unnecessary.
But yeah, the blurb of book 2 pretty much ruins the excitement, but: yey, they're back together!

And Evangeline: I know what you mean! I had the same when I was reading the Cassie Palmer series. I litterally had to force myself to stop reading so fast cause otherwise I wouldn't have anything nice left to read (and now I'm waiting, 4 more months till the next book comes out...).

Oh and I also loved Timmy! 'Can I get an Amen?'

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Even though you know they get back together.. it's the manner in which it happens that is so awesome!!!

Just wait. I thought Bones couldn't get any sexier. How wrong I was.

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Oooooh (*claps hands*) now I can't wait!

I must admit Jess, that when I read they were together within book one and there were three more to go I thought: 'hmm ok, where's the fun in that?'. So I was sort of glad when they broke up (a little angst and tension is still VERY entertaining) but the blurb of book 2 pretty much diminished my idle hopes (I'm so negative!).
I really couldn't imagine the hotness going on if the relationship were cemented from the very beginning. But apparently they're still hot (I always see them on 'favorite couples'-lists) wooohoo.
When I finish my current book, I'll start reading One foot in the Grave. Is there a thread about it? I'll need an outlet for my enthousiasm IF it gets as good as you claim ;)

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments You can talk about it in the author thread if u want

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Thanks :)

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (trebble) | 27 comments Well it wasn't just that she left him (although it was upsetting enough for what I thought were lame reasons) but she went to the FBI!! AND Don was SO annoying about who she was and who she was fighting. She just found herself. Accepted herself AND then left with the one group that would use her? That was upsetting. I just had a real hard time with that. So much I had to put the book down for a few hours before I finished it.

Other than the ending... yea, I loved the book. :)

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I guess she was just scared that they were going to do something to Bones and her mother. She always acts out of fear for others being hurt.

She continues to do that through the series lol

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Oh no.. then we can expect more stupid unnecessary decisions :( (I really wasn't happy with the ending.)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Mel wrote: "...Oh and I also loved Timmy! 'Can I get an Amen?'"

Timmy was hilarious! =D

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I am SO happy to be re-reading this book. Reading the diss. with yall is neat too. I remember my first reaction to Cat and Bones *sigh*. I will have to delay my time to pick up DFAEG for a few days but I will be happy to be introduced to the beginning..again =D.

Reading the first line is what told me this wasn't your average, everyday PNR. So I knew I had to pick up the rest of the series when I finished HTTG.

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments I'm really curious about the second and third book. I bought them but I have two more books on my TBR list to finsih first.
But it's fine: I have a holiday and not much to do so I'll be starting them soon. We need to go discuss them in the Jeanine Frost thread then :)

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (trebble) | 27 comments I just read the second book. You'll like it. :) Don't worry, I won't say more. I've just started the third. Wish I had the fourth.

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments LOl, I've just started the secobd. It's a bit of a switch after reading the Noble Dead series (little dialogue, very luttle humour, long descriptions).
But I'm liking it so far. I miss Timmy though..:(
Amen!

message 22: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 0 comments I think the second book is even better than the first, so those of you starting it are in for a treat ;)

message 23: by Emma (last edited Aug 21, 2009 09:19PM) (new)

Emma O (emmielou0110) | 8 comments I love this series. I especially love the first book because you get to know the characters. I love how ruthless Bones seems at first. he beats her up pushes her to her limit, and protects her by teaching her how to protect herself. I love the faith that Bones has in Cat, but then it is such a slap in the face in the end when she can't trust him enough to be able to protect himself. Its apparent that Bones is a little smarter than Cat at the end of the book, but I kind of love that Cat is the muscle and valuable one for her physical abilities while Bones is the planner and the level headed one.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think the funniest scene in this book was when they were in the cave and Cat said she could beat him in a fight and if she did he had to let her go.

He just beat the crap out of her lol

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments I just finished this book last night and I LOVED it. I don't know why I waited fo long to start the series. The one thing that did bother me from the beginning of the book though is that the vampires don't disintegrate when staked. I am not sure why but it bothers me that they don't. It is different though so I will roll with it..lol!! The ending did aggravate me with the FBI. I kept wondering how it was going to work between Bones and Cat now but that just makes me want to read the next one even more now.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I've read all the books but I remember that when I had finished the 1st one I said, "WTF" lol. Then I ran out to get the second book and devoured it.

It's funny too, I picked up this book just on a whim. I didn't really know about Frost at that point and I just saw the cover at BN and thought it looked good. I'm so glad I did lol.

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I looked at this book so many times before I ever bought it. I thought the cover was cheesy looking. The 2nd book had been out awhile before I bought the first one. Reminded why I should never judge a book by its cover after I read it!

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Ahh the same happened with me but with Nalini Singhs psy-changeling series. those covers are CHESSY!! But their awesome books.

message 29: by Ana (new)

Ana (anacnunes) I just finished reading it and I enjoyed it quite a bit, just not enough to love it.
Don't get me wrong. Cat and Bones do the drill and compell em to it, but I felt there was something missing.
Let's see if the 2nd book does it even better.

message 30: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments I just finished book 2 of this series and it was awesome! I really enjoyed Halfway to the Grave, I wasn't sure at first and I didn't love it enough that I had to run out and buy the next one, but after hearing so much about Cat & Bones on GR I had to give it another shot and I'm so glad I did!!! I have promptly ordered the next 2 and am anxiously awaiting them!:)

So Ana C. Definitely stick with it, the 2nd book is much better than the first!:) IMHO

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Halfway to the Grave (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeaniene Frost (other topics)