Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Books of the Month > Dune by Frank Herbert, Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book of the Month, Start Date 2 January 2017

Comments (showing 1-50 of 110) (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments

This topic is to discuss Dune by Frank Herbert. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:
Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary dynasties are controlled by noble houses that owe an allegiance to the imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (the heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and heir of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the 'spice' melange, the most important and valuable substance in the cosmos. The story explores the complex, multi-layered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion as the forces of the empire confront each other for control of Arrakis.

Published in 1965, it won the Hugo Award in 1966 and the inaugural Nebula Award for Best Novel. Dune is frequently cited as the world's best-selling sf novel.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jan 12, 2017 06:33PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Pages PPQDs

2&3 Jan 1-118 Imke
Ends: "And he recalled the old woman's warning: '...for the father, nothing.' "

4&5Jan 119-234 Gavin
Starts: "On that first day when Muad'Dib rode through the streets of Arrakeen..."
Ends:"And he felt the tears coursing down his cheeks."

BREAK DAY

7&8 Jan 235-356 Samantha
Starts: BOOK TWO MUAD'DIB
Ends:"It will not be, he told himself. I cannot let it be."

9&10 Jan 356-470 Jenny
Starts: "God created Arrakis to train the faithful"
Ends: "And the storm was gathering"

11&12 Jan 471-end Lindsey
Starts: "When law and duty are one, united by religion, you never...."

12 Jan - Last two sections have been posted as one set of questions here

Breakdown is based on this paperback version of the book. Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert
As there are no chapter numbers, sentences at the start and end of the sections are given in the breakdown as your version may have slightly different page numbers

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1446 comments I'm in. I've started it once, read the first chapter and stopped. It's time to give it another try. I volunteer to write discussion questions.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 12038 comments Imke wrote: "I'm in. I've started it once, read the first chapter and stopped. It's time to give it another try. I volunteer to write discussion questions."

I've never read it either. It was my sisters favourite book when we were growing up and she read the series a MILLION times. I watched the movie as a kid, but I don't remember anything at all really!

message 7: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1446 comments When I bought the books a co-worker was raving about this series. I started it and found it was a bit difficult to read. My mom and an aunt have also read this series and say it is good, so I can't wait to find out. The books have been staring at me for almost 20 years now, so I think it is time. I have never seen the movie, I might check it out if I can find it somewhere.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 158 comments It is a great series! I envy you for reading it for the first time.

message 9: by Samantha (last edited Dec 22, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (PsychSammie) | 795 comments I totally need a group to motivate me through this book. I'm in!

Ok, this is for my own personal reference because I have a different edition (in case anyone else has the same edition as mine, I'm reading from Dune:

Jan 2&3 - pg. 1-157
Jan 4&5 - pg. 158-324 (end of book 1)
Jan7&8 - pg. 327-500
Jan9&10 - pg. 501-662
Jan11&12 - pg. 603-end

message 10: by Talia (new)

Talia Colley (MissTalia) | 753 comments Good timing - I was planning to tackle this book in January. I'm in! Loved the mini-series that the Syfy Channel produced years ago.

message 11: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (goodreadscomGavtheReader) | 460 comments Sign me up for questions pls!

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Breakdown posted here

Imke & Gavin, please just let us know if you'd prefer different days

message 13: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 2502 comments I'd like to do discussion questions - I'm waiting for my book to be off hold so I might need to be an alternate.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (PsychSammie) | 795 comments I'm going to be bold and volunteer for questions as well. Hopefully that'll keep me from falling behind on reading!

message 15: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1446 comments The day is good for me.

message 16: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Samantha wrote: "I'm going to be bold and volunteer for questions as well. Hopefully that'll keep me from falling behind on reading!"

Woohoo! ;)

message 17: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Jenny wrote: "I'd like to do discussion questions - I'm waiting for my book to be off hold so I might need to be an alternate."

Thanks! I'll put you for 10 Jan then

message 18: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) | 50 comments I'm going to take part in reading and chatting. I've never read the book of the month before, looking forward to it,

message 19: by Geri (new)

Geri | 809 comments I borrowed this from my library and will participate in the discussion!

message 20: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer Riddle (JeniferReads) | 2 comments This has been on my TBR for a while!! I'll jump in.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 5749 comments Oh a little birdie told me this was a BOM. I'd like to join in the discussion. :)

message 22: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Cadence64) | 159 comments I've read a few times before, but probably time for a reread :) I can do discussion questions if there's still a spot.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in! I started this a long time ago and found it difficult to read, so I've got the audiobook version this time to join in with you all :)

message 24: by James (new)

James Johnson (ExistentialCrisis) | 5 comments Excitement.

message 25: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25954 comments Lindsey wrote: "I've read a few times before, but probably time for a reread :) I can do discussion questions if there's still a spot."

Thanks! I've put you for the last section Jan 11&12 :)

message 26: by Elaine (last edited Dec 30, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) | 50 comments Weirdly I dreamt that I started reading this last night. I had a really big hardback copy and all of the text was in runes...
description
And somehow I could read it....

message 27: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 1831 comments I love this book. Maybe it's time for a re-read.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 5749 comments I picked my copy up yesterday at the library so I'm ready :)

message 29: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 2502 comments I picked up my copy today - looking forward to reading this book

message 30: by Colette (new)

Colette | 2 comments Just downloaded this, my first reading challenge book :)

message 31: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Dec 30, 2016 09:53PM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 2502 comments Borrowing Samantha's idea, I'm reading from this copy of Dune

Jan 2&3 - pg. 1-124
Jan 4&5 - pg. 125-196 (end of book 1)
Jan7&8 - pg. 197-300
Jan9&10 - pg. 301-396
Jan11&12 - pg. 397-end

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy Nicole (A_Nicole) | 23 comments Samantha wrote: "I totally need a group to motivate me through this book. I'm in!

Ok, this is for my own personal reference because I have a different edition (in case anyone else has the same edition as mine, I'm..."

I have this edition, so thank you for posting the page numbers!

It's kind of an intimidating brick of a book, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

message 33: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (goodreadscomGavtheReader) | 460 comments Samantha wrote: "I totally need a group to motivate me through this book. I'm in!

Ok, this is for my own personal reference because I have a different edition (in case anyone else has the same edition as mine, I'm..."

Thanks a bunch :D

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (PsychSammie) | 795 comments Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I totally need a group to motivate me through this book. I'm in!

Ok, this is for my own personal reference because I have a different edition (in case anyone else has the same edi..."

No problem! It helps me out and I figured it might help out others :)

message 35: by Peter (new)

Peter Sivey | 1 comments I fancy taking on a big sci fi novel so will be joining in with this as my first ever reading challenge! Hopefully I will have time to join in with the discussion..

message 36: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1446 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

1. Have you read the Dune series before? If you have, what made you decide to read this book again? If you haven’t, what made you decide to join this BOM read? Have you read any other book by Frank Herbert?

2. The first line of this book ”A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.” grabbed me immediately, I’m not sure why, but it felt true. Do you think that by having Paul meet the Reverend Mother, Jessica is making sure his start on Arrakis is balanced?

3. We meet the Atreides family, what do you make of them? I suppose they represent the “good” in this book. Do you have a favorite within the household, it doesn’t have to be one of the family members?

4. We also have a brief meeting with the “bad” in this book, the Harkonnens. What do you make of them?

5. I like the little fragments in between sections written by Princess Irulan. I think they explain a little of what we are about to read. Who do you think this Princess is? Do you like these fragments?

6. On Arrakis we meet the Freman people. Do you think Paul’s father is right to put his trust in these people?

7. What do you make of The Bene Gesserit? They seem powerful women. Are their powers used for political reasons or do they also have a certain religious purpose?

8. We already know the name of the person who will betray the Altreides. Do you like this or would have rather kept on guessing who it is? Do you think his wife Wanna is still alive? Could there be other reasons why Dr. Yueh is doing this?

9. Why did the Bene Gesserit plant prophecies on Arrakis, and do you think it was right for them to do so?

10. Baron Harkonnen painted the Duke as a fool, but now we know Leto isn’t going into the situation completely blind. Do you think Leto is overconfident?

The last 2 questions are from nerdist book club dune, it is a fun discussion on Dune with some nice artwork.

message 37: by S (last edited Jan 02, 2017 08:22AM) (new)

S Marlin | 2 comments Just bought the book - last minute I know! Looking forward to the discussion :)

message 38: by Talia (new)

Talia Colley (MissTalia) | 753 comments Jan. 2-3 Discussion Questions

1. Have you read the Dune series before? If you have, what made you decide to read this book again? If you haven’t, what made you decide to join this BOM read? Have you read any other book by Frank Herbert?
I haven't read any of the Dune series, but I loved the Syfy Channel's Dune miniseries. I have been wanting to read Dune ever since seeing the miniseries. I haven't read any other Frank Herbert books.

2. The first line of this book ”A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.” grabbed me immediately, I’m not sure why, but it felt true. Do you think that by having Paul meet the Reverend Mother, Jessica is making sure his start on Arrakis is balanced?
It seemed like the Reverend Mother was testing Paul to see if he might be the fulfillment of a prophecy, but I don't know why this had to be done right before they moved to Arrakis or how it was ensuring that things were balanced. Maybe the prophecy is specifically related to Arrakis - just a big mystery for now.

3. We meet the Atreides family, what do you make of them? I suppose they represent the “good” in this book. Do you have a favorite within the household, it doesn’t have to be one of the family members?
I don't have a favorite yet. No one is jumping out to me yet as being especially likable.

4. We also have a brief meeting with the “bad” in this book, the Harkonnens. What do you make of them?
They seem like gross jerks! Ugh, such good villains! I really hope their plans backfire.

5. I like the little fragments in between sections written by Princess Irulan. I think they explain a little of what we are about to read. Who do you think this Princess is? Do you like these fragments?
I know who she is so I won't say. I do like the fragments and the additional info they add to the story.

6. On Arrakis we meet the Freman people. Do you think Paul’s father is right to put his trust in these people?
Yes, having the native people on his side should prove to be very helpful. I'm sure the Harkonnens mistreated the Fremen, so hopefully the Atreides will treat them right, and they will in turn help House Atreides thrive on Arrakis.

7. What do you make of The Bene Gesserit? They seem powerful women. Are their powers used for political reasons or do they also have a certain religious purpose?
I think they couch their political maneuvering behind the cover of religion. It was interesting how they had already sent someone to Arrakis to "seed" a myth that would lead the Fremen to later assisting Lady Jessica. They are playing the long game!

8. We already know the name of the person who will betray the Altreides. Do you like this or would have rather kept on guessing who it is? Do you think his wife Wanna is still alive? Could there be other reasons why Dr. Yueh is doing this?
I like knowing about Dr. Yueh's treachery now so that I can observe his deceptive behavior and see if anyone is suspicious of him. I am interested in learning more about him and the true reasons for his betrayal.

9. Why did the Bene Gesserit plant prophecies on Arrakis, and do you think it was right for them to do so?
Yes! Wow, they were really planning ahead, and it paid off! They wanted the Fremen to be allies to the Bene Gesserit if they ever needed in the future.

10. Baron Harkonnen painted the Duke as a fool, but now we know Leto isn’t going into the situation completely blind. Do you think Leto is overconfident?
No, Leto seems to be trying to make the most out of a bad situation. I don't see him as acting cocky. But it's sad that the Reverend Mother said there's no hope for the father. Doesn't sound promising for Duke Leto's future.

message 39: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (goodreadscomGavtheReader) | 460 comments Imke (immie75) | 1164 commentsDiscussion Questions 2 – 3 January

Nope, this is my first time.
I nominated the book, and I've been hearing reading good things about Dune.
Nope, this is my first one.

I never though of that. Can't give a definite answer...

Paul. I'm a sucker for protagonists.

Based on that little chapter, I can't yet say much about them.

They're interesting. I think she's the ill Paul dreams about.

Yup.

Hmm... Most probably for political reasons.

Can't say whether or not she's alive.
It would have been nice to not know and keep guessing, though, this isn't a mystery book.
Knowing has its own beauty, I guess, and you can't help but feel like the characters are blind for not seeing the answer.

I guess?

No.

The last 2 questions are from nerdist book club dune, it is a fun discussion on Dune with some nice artwork.

message 40: by Zuzana (last edited Jan 03, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

Zuzana | 1831 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

I read the first three Dune books about 15 years ago. Loved them. This year I plan to re-read some of the books I first read and adored in my late teens and early twenties to see if and how my tastes in literature have changed over the years.
Never read any other books by Frank Herbert.

I don't think the meeting was Lady Jessica's doing. But it might have crossed her mind that if Paul passes the test the B.G. will be (more) willing to protect him if the feud with Harkonnens goes wrong for the Atreides.

Gurney Halleck. He represents bravery and loyalty. (And later on Duncan Idaho.)

At this point there was not enough on them to form a definitive opinion. They just seem like a bad bunch, bent on holding on to the Arrakis and the control over the spice trade. ;)

I know who she is but I won't spoil it for others.
I like those fragments. The fact there are so many different sources (a manual, a dictionary, a book of essays, a textbook for children) all dedicated to one person Paul - Muad'Dib just indicates that he's going to become an important historical/political figure - a force to be reckoned with,

6. On Arrakis we meet the Fremen people. Do you think Paul’s father is right to put his trust in these people?

Yes. He's in need of manpower against the impending Sardaukar attack and Fremen are tough warriors - worthy allies if he manages to get them on his side.

These "witches" hold some serious political power in the Empire but their hidden purpose - to create Kwizatz Haderach - has some interesting religious undertones. They have spent hundreds of years using eugenics to create a superhuman being that can access all of the past and see all of the future. Such a power has to be a terrifying prospect even for those who hope to control and exploit it.

I like it. It's fun to observe his game of deception.

It wasn't just Arrakis. They have been sending missionaries across the galaxy for hundreds of years. They are playing the long game and are bloody good at it.

I don't think he's overconfident. He's aware of the risks and his strategy is sound. He's making the best out of a bad situation.

message 41: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 2502 comments 1. Have you read the Dune series before? If you have, what made you decide to read this book again? If you haven’t, what made you decide to join this BOM read? Have you read any other book by Frank Herbert?
No, I haven't read Dune or any other Frank Herbert before. I did, however, watch the tv mini-series and movie versions of Dune so I am interested in how closely those two versions stick to the book.

I don't think Jessica necessarily wants the Reverend Mother testing Paul, but I believe it will place him in a more balanced position.

I like the Atreides family, but don't have a favorite yet.

They are nasty!

I like these fragments and know who she is already.

Yes, Duke Leto is right to trust them.

I think they are both political and religious.

I like knowing, and I don't think his wife is still alive.

I think they planted prophecies for political reasons, to take power from the people. I think it will come back on them though as they are not going to have control over it.

No, I think he is a powerful leader.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Dune - Frank Herbert

I hadn’t read anything by Frank Herbert before, although had previously picked up Dune and attempted to read it. Initially I was put off by the language used, as there were a lot of places and techniques I wasn’t familiar with and it didn’t seem like a particularly easy read. Now that I’m a bit further through, I’m getting the hang of it.

Paul meeting the Reverend Mother before making his start on Arrakis doesn’t seem like a balanced start to me. He is travelling to a new planet and starting a new life, and now has the burden of his potential powers. Thus far, I’m not sure what the relevance of him finding this information out before he went was at the moment.

I find Jessica to be quite an interesting character. She comes across as strong, knowledgeable and protective of her family. When the attack was made on Paul’s life, I enjoyed the way that Herbert continued to repeat the lines regarding making an attempt on “my son’s life” showed the emotion that the duke was feeling, which gives the impression that he is a very serious man, but also cares deeply about his child.

I have been making a lot of comparisons between Paul and Harkonnens nephew. They both appear to be young boys trying to impress their male elders and learn the strategies of warfare.

The fragments are quite interesting, and I’m enjoying them - although not fully understanding them all. I’m interested to find out who the princess is, and I haven’t the slightest idea at the moment where she may fit into the story.

I think that Paul’s father has to put trust into some alliance and so far, the Freman’s seem to be honourable and dedicated to their traditions and beliefs.

The B.G seem like interesting characters and I’m enjoying their supernatural element to the story.

I think it’s a nice twist to a story knowing from the start who one of the traitors/villains are. It gives you a chance to consider other people’s reactions and emotions throughout the story about them.

I suspect this will all come a bit clearer as the story goes on, and it’s difficult to say at the moment without understanding more about the prophecies.

I think that Paul can sense a lot of unease in his father going into the situation

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 12038 comments I started early, but I'm already behind :o

No, but my sister read it a thousand times when we were kids and recently re-watched the movie from 32 (!!) years ago

I'm not sure what this is about quite yet

I find the father really fascinating. And actually Jessica too - they seem to be really complex characters

I can't help but see how they were in the film. the Baron so gross with all that fat :o

Yes, these are really well done and help break the story - and move onto a new scene

At the moment yes. He is in desperate need of allies

I think it is a bit of both. I agree they are very powerful

I like this for the same reason that others gave above. I do think his wife is dead

Interesting concept, and I'm not sure if it was the "right" thing to do quite yet

I don't think so. Just in an impossible situation

message 44: by Shannon, Hoist the Colors (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4004 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I started early, but I'm already behind :o.."

I just came to say "I'm late...I'm late...I'm late!!!" lol!

I just started so I've got some catching up to do. ;)

message 45: by pml (last edited Jan 07, 2017 08:54PM) (new)

pml | 197 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

Yes, I've read Dune before. The first time I was in the fourth grade and I mainly fastened onto the Hero's Journey layer. Then I read it again in high school, & went onto read the rest of the series as written by Frank Herbert (as well as a few of his son's Dune books). But I've never participated in a discussion on it & I was also curious as to how the book has worn now that I'm older. Unfortunately David Lynch's movie version keeps overwhelming Herbert's imagery as I read (I don't recall having that problem on the other readings).
I've read a few of his other books at various points: Whipping Star, The Dosadi Experiment, The White Plague, Frank Herbert Eye (short stories), Try to Remember.

I've always loved that line. Of course you really have to know the balances to ensure this. Jessica gets as much information as she can from the Reverend Mother, but I don't really think Jessica thought she had a choice in Paul's meeting/testing.

When I was younger my favorites were Paul and Duncan Idaho (view spoiler); Kynes & Jessica to a lesser degree. Now I find myself reading for Jessica & Gurney Halleck.

Slave owners who enjoy gluttony & the torture of others. They are deliberately cast as villainous as can be in the beginning. Just as the Atreides are deliberately portrayed as their flip side, the tragic (or not) Heroes. Heavy contrast in the beginning.

I like the fragments, I always like it when books have quotes, poems, etc. as part of the chapter headings. (view spoiler)

6. On Arrakis we meet the Fremen people. Do you think Paul’s father is right to put his trust in these people?
They're honorable people, definitely more so than the Great Houses & Emperor.

They are not a religious sect. They seed & use religions to give them protection and power. Highly manipulative, willing to use sex, education, religons, reproduction & progeny for their own "Terrible Purpose." I suppose that kind of organised single mindedness is similar, in a way. Or is easily seen as such, from the outside.

8. We already know the name of the person who will betray the Atreides. Do you like this or would have rather kept on guessing who it is? Do you think his wife Wanna is still alive? Could there be other reasons why Dr. Yueh is doing this?
It's interesting reading his complex motivations behind every action, and the misinterpretations others have of these actions as well. If he wasn't exposed to the reader, we wouldn't know this added complexity.
(view spoiler)

Self-protection and control. Is it ever 'right' to blatantly manipulate an entire culture (or multiple cultures)? Is any Purpose worth such subjugation of a people's psyche?

What other option does he have? Particularly given his own father.

message 46: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (PsychSammie) | 795 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

I haven't read anything by Frank Herbert or anything from the Dune series. I wanted to join in on this BOM because this is known to be one of the most iconic Sci-Fi novels to date and it's been on my shelf for a while :)

I loved the first paragraph as well. It grabbed me in a place mentally that felt sound. It would make sense that Jessica would do that to balance her son, especially since he's taught in the B.G. ways

They're real to me. I agree, they do seem to be the "good" side, but I love that they have doubts, harsh sides, etc. It makes them multi-dimensional and come alive in my mind easier than other characters might. I'm actually really loving the Duke the most right now. Something about the contrast of being harsh and cold, but the deep concern and thought he puts into his actions and his family.

If what I have sifted from the info I've read, they seem to be greedy, but are probably acting like anyone else would in their position.

I like the fragments too. At first, I thought it was spoiling the story with the traitor bit, but then it's a chapter from his perspective, thinking about betraying the Atreides family.

Based on what I've seen so far, I think so.

They seem like an interesting group of people. I think it's meant to be for religious purpose, but have a feeling that it gets abused for political reasons crucial to the plot later one.

I'm not quite sure. I usually like guessing who it will be, but maybe the story will unfold in a way that it works out better this way. I'll let you know ;) If I knew more of the circumstances surrounding his wife, I'd give you a better guess, but I'm just going to assume she's dead. It seems like his emotions speak that his wife is fuel enough.

This is one of the threads in the story that I haven't really grasped, so I'm not really sure :/

I don't think he's overconfident. I think he's trying to be hopeful, but realistic of all the factors going against him. But on that note, there was a section during the meeting where Paul talks about the sandworms eating the factory and the duke thinks to himself that he didn't really want to know, but it was important to be realistic. That train of thought seems to show that the Duke is consciously not considering some options because they would crush his hope completely.

message 47: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 172 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

I have never read Dune Series. I have picked up the book as part of this Group Read. I am actually surprised that I never heard of this before the group read, as this is a classic in science-fiction genre but now I am glad I am reading this as part of the Group Read.

I am actually not sure why Jessica wanted Paul to meet the Reverend Mother. Don't know how it will play out in the further story but it all sounds very interesting to say the least.

I like Duncan Idaho the best.

Harkonnens come off as sly, cunning and wicked.

I did not understand in the start that Princess Irulan was the narrator but once I got it, it gave an insight into all the characters, their thoughts, nature and motives. I do not know who exactly Princess Irulan is but maybe she is a descendent of Paul....

I somehow feel Freman will be a postive party in this book, so yes.

I think they are motivated both my politics and religion. They are a balance between both these things.

I think the way this story is written, Princess Irulan and the story has happened in the past, hence the reveal of the betrayer is not a spoiler exactly. It add's a different dimension to the story. I think Wanna is alive and somehow in control of Harkonnens.

Somehow Bene Gesserit have a glimpse of the future and for some event to happen they had to do this.

I think Leto will face his downfall, he isn't completely blind but then he does not know everything. I think Paul will take over his father's place.

message 48: by Shannon, Hoist the Colors (last edited Jan 04, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4004 comments Discussion Questions 2 – 3 January

Strangely enough, I've never read it nor have I seen the movie or the tv mini series. But it's one of those books, that you always hear about, and think you really should get around to reading.

I'm with Talia, it seems like there is some kind of prophecy at work. I also agree with pml, I don't Jessica was given much choice in the meeting.

So far I'm liking the characters overall, minus the Baron of course ;), but I don't know that I've settled on a favorite just yet. Like Karen and Samantha both said, they're each complex and have depth. Keeps you intrigued and wanting more.

So far it seems like run of the mill evil characters. But it was just a snippet, so I'll wait and see.

I actually do. It reminds me of another book I've read (but of course can't remember now), but I like that you get hints of the things to come. What the future will hold for all the characters.

Based on the interaction we've seen thus far, I would say yes.

I agree with pretty everyone else here. I think it's both. There will of course be those for whom it is nothing but religion, who believe and feel strongly, and others who are the opposite who only use the guise of religion and its power as a way to manipulate.

I'm with pml again. I think it adds to the complexity of the character. And like Karen, I think she's more than likely dead. But if Poonam is right, wouldn't that be a cool twist. ;)

Like Talia said, they are playing the long game. But it does make you wonder about the veracity of their prophecies. Like there were things they knew a long time ago, that led them to do it.

I don't know that he's overconfident, it seems like he's pretty aware at how desperate the Harkonnen's will be and that there is little they won't do. Didn't one of the fragments say something about him sacrificing himself for his son?

message 49: by Alia (new)

Alia | 6 comments I will not spoiler-mark this post, since most of it would be. It could get frustrating to read. Just know that there are spoilers ahead.

I read it twelve years ago, as a library book. Since then I've bought all six (yes, six). I never fell out of love with these books.

It's a good first line. I'm not sure traumatizing the boy was the most "balancing" thing to do, but as a rite of passage it certainly strengthened him. He would have to be tough to live on Arrakis, but I don't think Jessica knew they'd be trudging through the desert.

My real favorite characters are in later books, but I find Duncan Idaho quite interesting – although it's possible that he becomes that cooler with the later books, I just can't unsee it.

Most of the characters are morally ambiguous. Chani is probably the closest one to "pure", and I wouldn't read her POVquel. It is interesting that House Atreides traces its roots back to House Atrides/Atreus from Homerian legend, and the members of House Atreides don't even mind. It adds to the whole "we are descended from barbarians" line of thinking, even before all the genetic memory stuff really becomes a plot point.

Okay, I stand corrected. Baron Harkonnen is not morally ambiguous. He is so pure evil that it's as though the author just made a pile of evil characteristics and named it Vladimir (maybe from Lenin, maybe not) Harkonnen.

She is a historian and biographer, in this respect. Those fragments were my favorite part.

They seemed straight-forward and honest enough. I'd sooner trust such people than just about anyone else in that universe.

As I recall it they view religion as political.

On the one hand it would have been nice to have to guess, but on the other I am glad I got to see him wrestle with guilt and doubt and whatnot. And he is still demonized for it in-universe, so it's different from the usual repent-and-it's-as-though-it-never-happened that seems to be a thing in many books.

Probably as a safety measure, just in case one of them found herself there and had to pull some sort of "the sun will vanish on my command (because I know the time of the next eclipse)" scheme. The good thing about prophecies is that they are ambiguously worded and have no specific timeframe, so it never even had to "come true", but there was a contingency plan.

Leto probably knows better than to contradict the Bene Gesserit, but it was more than that. They discussed the possibility of fleeing the galaxy – which is a story I would have gladly read – but he didn't want to run from danger like a coward. I think it was also the case with the Duke's father or grandfather, that he died from stubbornness and an inability to surrender in the face of certain defeat (although in his case I think it was a bull).

message 50: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (goodreadscomGavtheReader) | 460 comments Dune Questions Part II

11. Now that we know who Princess Irulan is, how do you think her and Paul's paths shall intertwine?

12. What do you feel towards Yueh?

13. Do you think that the story is too fast paced or slow paced? Or is it just right?

14. How did you feel about Baron Harkonnen's attraction to young men?

15.How did you feel when Duke Leto's attempt to kill the Baron failed?

16. How did you feel about Jessica and Paul being descended directly from the Harkonnens?

17. How did you feel when Paul gave Jessica the Duke's message?

18. How do you feel about the Emperor working together with the Baron?

19. What do you think triggered the awakening of Paul's powers?

20. How do you like the story so far?

« previous 1 3