Chick Lit discussion

Need a new author

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kati (new)

Kati (kati_01) | 3 comments Ok...so I have read all Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella and Jennifer Weiner books that are out. I LOVE these three authors...Does anyone have any author/book suggestions on who to move onto next.

message 2: by Charity (last edited Feb 29, 2008 06:11AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) I adore Sarah Mlynowski. Every single book I've read by her has been fast-moving and fun! These are the titles that I have read from her:

Milkrun
Fishbowl
As Seen on TV
Monkey Business
Me vs. Me

I have not read Sarah Mlynowski's young adult books (Bras & Broomsticks, Frogs & French Kisses, and Spells & Sleeping Bags), but I'm sure they are fabulous YA reads.

Also, Wendy Markham is an excellent author. I am always able to read her books cover to cover in one sitting.

Try her "Slightly" series:

Slightly Single
Slightly Settled
Slightly Engaged
Slightly Married

or her book:

Mike, Mike & Me

And I have to agree with Tracy...Jane Green is incredible. If you haven't read her, try starting with Jemima J or Mr. Maybe. You won't be sorry.

I hope these suggestions help. Happy reading! :-)

message 3: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) I love Sarah Mlynowski too, Charity and her YA books are just as good as her adult fiction.

What about Lisa Jewell, Kati. Her second book, Thirtynothing, is one of my fave ever chick lit books.

Keris x

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I really liked the book The Starter Wife by Gigi Levangie Grazer. This is her only book, but I really enjoyed it! They made a mini series this summer on some network station, but I didn't get a chance to watch it.

message 5: by Charity (last edited Feb 29, 2008 08:16AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Oooo...I love Lisa Jewell, too! I completely forgot about her. Good add, Trashionista!

Also, Carly Alexander is great for holiday-themed chick lit.

Meg Cabot is great...although I have only read a few of her adult chick lit...written in 'email-style' entries. Very fast reads.

Melissa Senate always has great, engaging reads.

Isabel Wolff is an excellent Brit chick lit author. Her characters suck you right in.

Laura Zigman is very good, too. I can read her books in a day...easily.

I'm sure everyone has more, so I will let them offer up their favorites! :-)

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I like Meg Cabot's books, "The Boy Next Door" "Boy Meets Girls" "Every Boy's got One" "The Queen of Babble" were all pretty funny. I think there are more, I just can't remember.

Marian Keyes' books are awesome too, I think there is thread here that lists a lot of her books. Some of Anna Maxted's books are great. I loved "Getting Over it" and "Running in Heels" the most. Some of her others are "Behaving Like Adults" "Being Committed" and "A Tale of Two Sisters"

Let's see, who else...Sinead Moriarty has a series "The Baby Trail" & "The Right Fit" they were both pretty funny and I think there are more in the series.

I've also liked stuff by Laura Zigman. She wrote "Animal Husbandry" "Dating Big Bird" and "Her"

Good luck!

message 7: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) I just read and loved that one too, Amy, but it's not her only book, she's written two others:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 6 comments Amy
If you love Gigi, she also wrote Maneater and I think her next book is The Billionaire's Wife. But I liked Starter Wife better than Maneater..though both were really good.
xo
Maggie Marr

Secrets of The Hollywood Girls Club (April 2008)
Hollywood Girls Club (April 2007 Pback Feb 2008)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (freestylewriter) | 2 comments Can I suggest my own book? lol No seriously. I think your group will fall in love with Free Style. It comes out March 18th! This is what your favorites authors have said:

"I laughed, I cried, I bonded.
Seriously, this book is genius and it's
going to be a huge hit."

JOHANNA EDWARDS
author of "How to be Cool"
www.johannaedwards.com

"Free Style is a delightful, insightful exploration of friendship
filled with honesty, humor and Latina flair."

WENDY FRENCH
author of "sMothering" and "Full of It"
www.wendy-french.com

"A completely engrossing journey of self-discovery.
And the pop culture references were a blast!"

ROBYN HARDING
author of "The Journal of Mortifying Moments"
and the "Secret Desires of Soccer Mom"
www.robynharding.com

Smart, sassy, and above all honest, Idalis is a character you will love!"

HEATHER SWAIN
author of Luscious Lemon
www.heatherswain.com

"Inspiring, funny and heartfelt, Free Style takes readers on a journey that speaks to the nature of friendship, love, and going home again. Like Thelma and Louise with even more sass and attitude."

JENNIFER COBURN
author of The Wife of Reilly
www.jennifercoburn.com

"Linda Nieves-Powell delivers a refreshing and insightful debut clothed in 90's nostalgia. Free Style is warm, witty, soulful, and, above all else, true."

LINDSAY FAITH RECH
author of Losing It and Joyride
www.lindsayfaithrech.com

"Linda Nieves-Powell really pulls you into these powerful characters' world and takes you on a roller coaster journey of their frustrations, fears . . . and joys."

THERESA ALAN
Barnes and Noble Bestselling Author of
Getting Married, Girls Who Gossip, The Dangers of Mistletoe
www.theresaalan.com

"Free Style explores the compromises made on the road to adulthood. A fun debut novel from a fresh new voice. "
MARTA ACOSTA
author of Happy Hour at Casa Dracula and Midnight Brunch
www.martaacosta.com

"Free Style is an empowering, entertaining powerhouse of a novel about self-discovery, friendship and love. Terrific."

MELISSA SENATE
author of See Jane Date and Love You To Death
www.melissasenate.com

I'll mail a free copy of the book to the first person who comments.

Linda Nieves-Powell

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy The reviews sound great, Linda. Good luck with it and hopefully it sells lot hot cakes.

Best wishes,
Mandy

message 11: by Adena (new)

Adena | 4 comments I'm reading Jemima J. too and I really like it!

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (freestylewriter) | 2 comments Thanks Mandy. I've got my fingers crossed. Would you like me to send you a copy? You did in fact comment first (smile). You can email me at latinoflavored@aol.com with an address and I'll send it out this week.
Thanks again!
Linda

message 13: by Kati (new)

Kati (kati_01) | 3 comments Wow! What a reference list!!! I would love to read this and be able to recommend it to my friends...hope I am the first to comment and get my hands on a copy before it comes out!!!
Thanks for the post!

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I really look forward to reading your book, Linda. I think Goodreads is a fantastic avenue for authors, new and old, and I am always excited to read someone new. I'll send you an email with my address. Thanks again, Linda!

message 15: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (drcaroline) | 1 comments I just discovered Goodreads and I agree it's a great place for authors and readers to connect! I'm the author of Profiling Your Date: A Smart Woman's Guide to Evaluating a Man (St. Martin's Press)--I think it's a non-fiction book that chick lit fans will really get into!

message 16: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 16 comments I **love** Anna Maxted, Katie Fforde (<--yes, that's two Fs), and Isla Dewar. Jane Heller, Jane Stanton Hitchcock, Wendy Holden, and Isabel Wolff (<--again, two Fs) have some good ones.

You *must* check out these books, and I *promise* you will find some more authors to read:

Irish Girls About Town
Irish Girls Are Back In Town
American Girls About Town
Scottish Girls About Town

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

There's some great chick lit type books from Little Black Dress.
http://www.littleblackdressbooks.com/
You can read excerpts and then buy from Amazon.
Jo Barretts, The Men's Guide To Women's Bathrooms is funny.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlberg) I really like Jen Lancaster. Her books are great chick lit!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 3 comments I really like Theresa Alan...I find her work laugh out loud funny in some places. Spur of the Moment is good as well as Who You Know.

I find Jane Green to be hit or miss same with Sarah Mlynowski, but still read everything they write because when they hit the mark they knock it out of the park.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) Sarah Strohmeyer's Bubbles series.
Thirty-something Bubbles Yablonsky is a "Polish-Lithuanian Barbie" from Lehigh, Pennslyvania who's trying to swap her job as a hairdresser for a career in investigative reporting. Surrounded by idiosyncratic relatives and friends, to say nothing of dreamboat AP photographer Steve Stiletto, Bubbles manages to find herself caught up in several perplexing situations. She solves these mysteries, and deals with the zaniness that is her life, in a manner that will leave readers smiling — and admiring her resourcefulness. First in the series is Bubbles Unbound, followed by Bubbles in Trouble, Bubbles Ablaze, Bubbles a Broad, and Bubbles Betrothed.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments A few favorites that you might like:

THE BIG LOVE by Sarah Dunn (not to be confused with the TV show about polygamy) - Funny and crisp!
Anything by Marian Keyes - Always entertaining but never fluffy
SAMMY'S HILL by Kristin Gore - entertaining and intelligent
MANEATER by Gigi Levangie Grazer - very LA but with surprising heart

Hope those are helpful...enjoy! :^) Anna

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 3 comments Gonna throw out an oldie, but new one to me that I am enjoying in a historical chick-lit fashion...Julia Quinn...Her characters are pretty amusing and the stories tend to have a bit more depth some others in the same genre...

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) How about Jane Porter? I just read ODD MOM OUT and MRS PERFECT which are connected. I highly recommend both. I also enjoyed FLIRTING WITH FORTY and THE FROG PRINCE by her.

message 24: by Ashley (bookworm84) (last edited Jun 04, 2008 06:43PM) (new)

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) My recommendations:

Kyra Davis-I find her books hilarious. You must like a mystery theme but I do think they qualify for the Chick Lit genre as well.

Whitney Gaskell-she's a recent discovery for me and I have loved all her books so far.

Gemma Townley- I think that is the spelling of her name-she wrote "When in Rome" and "Little White Lies".

Melissa Senate is also another favourite of mine.

Beth Kendrick is also another fantastic author!!

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) I would suggest Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes! :) It's a great book.

message 26: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I borrowed The Breakdown Lane from my sister-in-law and I think I'm going to read it next...

message 27: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) Try Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. It's my new favorite book.

message 28: by Kristin (last edited Aug 19, 2008 11:53AM) (new)

Kristin (kristindreyerkramer) | 1 comments I've become a big fan of the Cranes -- Megan and Caprice.

Caprice wrote Stupid and Contagious (http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...) and Forget About It (http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...). Megan wrote (among others) Frenemies (http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...).

I also recommend Liza Palmer of Conversations with the Fat Girl (http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...) and Seeing Me Naked (http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...).

message 29: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I've had Breakdown Lane for awhile-I've heard it's good but it keeps getting relegated to the bottom of the pile. I like Mitchard's stuff, The Most Wanted by her was also great.

message 30: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) A couple I have enjoyed:
Jennifer O'Connell - Bachelorette #1

Carole Matthews - Welcome to the Real World

Jennifer Crusie - Hers sort of veer off into what I think of more as "romance novels," but I really enjoyed Welcome To Temptation, Fast Women, and Bet Me.

message 31: by Holli (new)

Holli What about Cecilia Ahern? PS I Love You was a great book!

message 32: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments Actually, she has several other books as well as The Starter Wife - Maneater, Rescue Me, and Queen Takes a King. I haven't read any of them because I didn't really care for The Starter Wife so I can't give you a good idea of what they're like.

message 33: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments I absolutely LOVE Sophie Kinsella so you may like a few other authors I enjoy. Try:
* Katie Fforde
* Jill Mansell (I don't think her Two's Company is as good as her others)
* Erica James
* Alexandra Potter
* Chris Manby (The Matchbreaker is my least favorite of hers)
* Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees
* Sarah Mason (Playing James is her best)
* Gemma Townley (Little White Lies is her best so far - haven't read her latest yet)
* Elizabeth Young (known as Liz Young in the UK - her book Asking for Trouble was renamed The Wedding Date here in the US based upon the horrible movie they made of it)
* Melissa Nathan

Hope that helps you find a new author worth reading. Good luck!

message 34: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Holli - I totally agree with you. [Book: P.S. I Love You] is one of my favorite books. I couldn't put it down.

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) I'm just reading P.S. I love you right now. So far I love it!! :)

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (miss_nifer) I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Donna Kauffman has some great chick-lit books out there. I love them :)

message 37: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments I enjoy Donna Kauffman, also. If you find you like her books you may also enjoy Erin McCarthy.

message 38: by Denise (last edited Aug 28, 2008 01:46PM) (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 3 comments Have you read Marisa de los Santos? I love her! I also love Diane Chamberlain (Before the Storm, Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes), Cecelia Ahern, Jennifer Haigh and Ann Packer.

message 39: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments Another great author is Lynda Curnyn (Confessions of an Ex-GF, Killer Summer, Engaging Men, and Bombshell) and Lee Nichols. Ok let's be honest so much in the Red Dress Ink genre is really good!

message 40: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 5 comments I liked to also recommend: Clare Naylor:
here are the books I have read:
The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder (this is the First Book in the series)
The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
Dog Handling

message 41: by Yoli (new)

Yoli (queendiva0331) | 6 comments I like Liz Ireland. She started out as a cheezy romance writer I believe. But I love her books:
Pink Ghetto
Three Bedrooms in Chelsea
How I Stole Her Husband

I also like two authors who have only written 1 book but they are great...
Lauren Lipton It's About Your Husband
Julie Buxbaum The Opposite of Love

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 30 comments I also enjoy Jane Green.

I have recently read a few books by Jane Moore that I have really liked. I have read The Ex-files, The Second Wives Club, and finishing up Love @ First Site today or tomorrow.

message 43: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments I love the Bubbles series. Do you know if there's going to be a new one anytime soon? It seems like forever since the last one was released.

message 44: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (cesca) | 9 comments Ok, here I go: if you like fun, effervescent, uplifting romance, you might enjoy reading my romantic comedy, "Mucho Caliente!" Here is the story in a nutshell, as described in a brand new review I found this morning on Barnes and Noble.

"Mucho Caliente is quite the tastiest book I have read in a long time. It follows the life of Gemma when she decides to settle on the Spanish island of Ibiza, and fate tumbles her into the arms of the mega-superstar Emilio Caliente. Suddenly she finds herself behaving like a teenager, and losing sleep over the world’s most eligible heart-throb. Strangest of all, her two live-in friends have decided that Emilio is interested in her, and they are not going to let Gemma avoid her fate.

The story is wonderfully evocative of the Mediterranean summer and the upbeat, sophisticated night life of Ibiza. Gemma and her friends had me laughing as they wrestle with Gemma’s insecurities, her ex-husband and his poisonous lover, their shortage of money and a reliable car, all in an effort to get the two star-crossed lovers together. I can’t speak highly enough of the delightful people, places and atmosphere that Francesca Prescott has served up for us readers. This story is one of the year’s best.

Jacqueline George, February 4, 2009"

I've had many other positive reviews for my book; some are on Amazon.com, others are on my website. I'm also currently nominated for Best Book of the Year at Long and Short Reviews (go and take a look there too, and maybe vote!!!!) If you decide to take the plunge and read my book, email me to let me know; I'm more than happy to send you an autographed postcard featuring the cover :)

xx Francesca
www.francescaprescott.com

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 6 comments Lynda Curnyn
Brenda Janowitz
Lee Nichols

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 15 comments Laura Caldwell is fantastic, Jane Porter, Ariella Papa (though she's not everyone's cup of tea, my sister hated her books), Meg Cabot, Lee Nichols. Jennifer Crusie is one of my favorites, and both of Sarah Addison Allen's, while not really quite "chick lit" are fabulous - really beautiful. I just read and really liked All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown and would recommend that. Mindy Klasky has witchcraft chick lit books that are really fun, and Jennifer Estep's "Big Time" novels are great if you used to love superheroes. : )

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Steinke (httpwwwlizandlisacom) | 2 comments Kati wrote: "Ok...so I have read all Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella and Jennifer Weiner books that are out. I LOVE these three authors...Does anyone have any author/book suggestions on who to move onto next. "

This is shameless promotion & I don't put myself in the same category as those greats, but my best friend and I just had our first chick lit book published. It's called "I'll Have Who She's Having"...check it out.

message 48: by Gia (new)

Gia | 2 comments has anyone recommended Jennifer Coburn or Jenny Colgan? I love both of them. Very funny. gia

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments I think you would like the book I just finished. It was the best book I've read in a long time.
The Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski

Thanks!
Stephanie
www.stephaniehale.com
SPRING BREAKUP-Out March 3!!

message 50: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments Gia wrote: "has anyone recommended Jennifer Coburn or Jenny Colgan? I love both of them. Very funny. gia"
I love Jenny Colgan and would definitely recommend her as well. However, I've never read Jennifer Coburn.

« previous 1