Aussie Readers discussion

Archive Personal Challenges 2017 > MaryG2E's 2017 Challenge - Broadening My Mind - Genres I Rarely Read

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments I have a strong preference for a small number of genres, mainly Historical Fiction, Crime/mystery, and Rural Lit. So for 2017 I want to challenge my mindset and read more broadly. I am aiming to read 12 books, one per month in the following genres:

Non-fiction
Humour
Fantasy
Poetry/verse
Sci Fi
Western
Romance
YA
Travel
Chick Lit
Memoir/biography
Short Story Collection

message 2: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 334 comments That was my challenge for this year. Enjoyed it. Good luck

message 3: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Noelene wrote: "That was my challenge for this year. Enjoyed it. Good luck"

Thanks Noelene. How has your reading ended up for the year?

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60329 comments Mod
I transferred your thread into the 2017 Personal Challenges folder Mary :) Great challenge and one I know you'll pull off :)

message 5: by Anna Faversham (last edited Dec 07, 2016 02:42AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (AnnaFaversham) | 167 comments MaryG2E wrote: "I have a strong preference for a small number of genres, mainly Historical Fiction, Crime/mystery, and Rural Lit. So for 2017 I want to challenge my mindset and read more broadly. I am aiming to re..."

Now that sounds like a good and do-able idea!

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments I think you'll love some of these Mary. The only ones I haven't read are Western & Travel.

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mary you have Western as a genre - would that be classed as US and the accompanying genre for AU would be Rural? There is such a large amount of Rural Fiction, either romance or suspense which is set in Australia...

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 3557 comments Great challenge Mary. Good luck :)

message 9: by Nigel (new)

Nigel (Eclecticreader1) | 7 comments Hi Mary. If you are looking for ideas for sci-fi, I really enjoyed Anne Leckie's trilogy Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Mercy and Ancillary Sword. I also usually stick to crime, mystery and historical fiction, so reading these this year was branching out a bit for me. In humour, I really like David Lodge's campus novels. Try Changing Places. A little old now, but doesn't feel dated at all

message 10: by MaryG2E (last edited Dec 09, 2016 09:25PM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Brenda wrote: "Mary you have Western as a genre - would that be classed as US and the accompanying genre for AU would be Rural? There is such a large amount of Rural Fiction, either romance or suspense which is s..."

Yes, definitely Brenda. In my thinking 'Western' refers to the USA, wild west and ranch/cowboy life, of which there is a substantial collection of titles in my local library. I walk past those shelves so often, but I've only ever borrowed one book from there. Time to broaden my mind...! Aussie Bush = Rural Lit, and I classify it as quite separate.

I see Westerns, particularly those with an historical perspective, as part of the US narrative of settlement, so very different from our own post-contact history.

message 11: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Nigel wrote: "Hi Mary. If you are looking for ideas for sci-fi, I really enjoyed Anne Leckie's trilogy Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Mercy and Ancillary Sword. I also usually stick to crime, mystery and historica..."

Thanks for these suggestions Nigel. Always interested to pursue new avenues of reading.

message 12: by Deborah (last edited Dec 11, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments Looks like a good list. Based on our book comparisons, it looks like you have not read any Bill Bryson, that will bundle travel and humour quite well if you want to try him.

message 13: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 1137 comments That's a great mix. I read such a wide range of genres, but this year I noticed most of mine leaned towards some kind of romance. Thankfully, romance is such a broad spectrum. There are somany sub-genres, that you are bound to find something you will like. Good luck, Mary.

message 14: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis Good luck, I hope you enjoy them all!!

message 15: by MaryG2E (last edited Jan 02, 2017 09:35PM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #1 January: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer 3★s
Genre: Humour (And I think the front and back covers are clever)
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer

message 16: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Nigel wrote: "Hi Mary. If you are looking for ideas for sci-fi, I really enjoyed Anne Leckie's trilogy Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Mercy and Ancillary Sword. I also usually stick to crime, mystery and historica..."

Thanks Nigel. I've got a book by David Lodge sitting on my TBR shelf, which I plan to read sometime in '07. I'll keep an eye out for Ann Leckie's titles.

message 17: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #2 February: Here Come The Dogs by Omar Musa (AA) 5★s
Genres: Verse Novel, Contemporary Fiction
Here Come The Dogs by Omar Musa Another great book cover to enjoy.
Deadly, Unna? by Phillip Gwynne (AA) 5★s
Genres: YA, Indigenous
Deadly, Unna? by Phillip Gwynne

message 18: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:54AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #3 March: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed 3.5★s
Genres: Travel, Memoir
Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
The Trivia Manby Deborah O'Brien (AA) 5★s
Genre: Contemporary Australian Literature
The Trivia Man by Deborah O'Brien

message 19: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:56AM) (new)

message 20: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:56AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #5 May: Kinglake-350 by Adrian Hyland (AA) 4★s
Genre: Non-fiction
Kinglake-350 by Adrian Hyland
The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs by Nick Trout 4★s
Genre: Humour
The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs by Nick Trout

message 21: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:58AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #6 June: Father Bob: The Larrikin Priest by Sue Williams (AA) 3★s
Genre: Biography
Father Bob The Larrikin Priest by Sue Williams
The Pretty Delicious Cafe by Danielle Hawkins 4★s
Genres: Chick Lit, Romance
The Pretty Delicious Cafe by Danielle Hawkins (lovely cover)

message 22: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 04, 2017 04:54AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #7 July: Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler
Genre: Action Adventure
Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) by Clive Cussler
This book comes from a category I very rarely read, and now I know why. Just not my cup of tea at all. I decided not to give it a rating, because I really don't understand the genre well enough. It was good to try something completely different from my usual reading.

message 23: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 02:01AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #8 August: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel 5★s
Genre: Science Fiction
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Angels by Marian Keyes 3.5★s
Genres: Chick lit, Humour
 Angels (Walsh Family #3) by Marian Keyes

Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader  | 2082 comments Don't know why I hadn't seen your challenge until now, Mary, but it looks fun. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to venture into some of those categories! You're braver than I am!
Seems like some are not to your liking. Hence why you don't normally read them!
Still, good for you! =o)

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments Really liked the review for Station Eleven, I will try and keep an eye out for it.

Great challenge too btw, would not work for me since I am a pretty omnivorous reader at any time, but it is interesting diversifying ones groove.

message 26: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 23, 2017 04:14AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Don't know why I hadn't seen your challenge until now, Mary, but it looks fun. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to venture into some of those categories! You're braver than I am!
Seems like some a..."

Thanks Owl. Generally speaking they've been enjoyable. Only one that really turned me off! When you don't know an author or a genre, you rely on the publisher's blurb to get a sense of what you're getting into. Some of what I've read didn't quite live up to their promises, hence slightly reduced star ratings. Like the well-known US comedienne, whose supposedly humorous writing was just not that amusing!

message 27: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Deborah wrote: "Really liked the review for Station Eleven, I will try and keep an eye out for it.

Great challenge too btw, would not work for me since I am a pretty omnivorous reader at any time, but it is inte..."

Thanks Deborah.

message 28: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Lil Owl's recent comments got me thinking. I realise I've been reading across a wider range of genres each month. One of the reasons for that is the year-long challenges I'm attempting. Aussie Readers Additional Challenge for 2017 A-Z, and the 2017 Pop Sugar Challenge. Both of those challenges force the reader to choose widely in order to complete the tasks. It works for me. So I've gone back through my Personal Challenge to read different genres than my preferred ones, and added in more books that I've completed during the months.

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good for you Mary :) It makes for more fun and enjoyment in your reading too doesn't it!

message 30: by MaryG2E (last edited Aug 26, 2017 06:22AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Brenda wrote: "Good for you Mary :) It makes for more fun and enjoyment in your reading too doesn't it!"

Definitely, Brenda. The yearly challenges are precisely that - challenging. I still feel I have too many crime novels in my reading. Nothing wrong with reading lots of crime, but I think it is better to broaden the range of books.

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It's nice to have a fall-back genre that gives you a good feeling ;)

message 32: by MaryG2E (last edited Sep 11, 2017 03:24AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #9 SEPTEMBER: Wreck by Fleur Ferris (AA) 4★s
Genre: YA
Wreck by Fleur Ferris

message 33: by MaryG2E (last edited Nov 20, 2017 05:02AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #OCTOBER: The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes 4★s
Genre: Literary Fiction
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
The Blue Dressing Gown and Other Poems by Ross Donlon (AA) 4★s
Genre: Poetry

message 34: by MaryG2E (last edited Nov 20, 2017 05:05AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments #NOVEMBER: Sanctuary by Judy Nunn (AA) 5★s
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Sanctuary by Judy Nunn
Holy Cow!: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (AA) 4★s
Genre: Travel
Holy Cow! An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald

message 35: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Wow! I've finished my Personal Challenge for 2017 to read a wide range of genres. Feeling very pleased, and also very happy to have embraced styles of writing and types of stories I don't normally encounter.

#DECEMBER: Zoe's Muster by Barbara Hannay (AA) 5★s
Genre: Romance, Rural Lit
Zoe's Muster by Barbara Hannay
Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan 5★s (AA)
Genre: Short Stories
Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

message 36: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Genres I've read during this year-long challenge:
Humour
Verse/poetry
Travel
Non-fiction
Memoir
Biography
Science Fiction
YA
Literary Fiction
Contemporary Literature
Romance
Short Stories
Chick Lit
Rural Lit

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Congrats Mary!! Well done :)

message 38: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscomMaryG2E) | 696 comments Brenda wrote: "Congrats Mary!! Well done :)"

Thanks Brenda. It was a very interesting and ultimately satisfying challenge. How are you going with your challenge to reduce your TBR?

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Very well thanks Mary :) I've succeeded in my minimum of 3 per month, sometimes it's been more :) I'm going to continue it next year too!

message 40: by Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader (last edited Dec 08, 2017 08:52AM) (new)

Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader  | 2082 comments Congratulations Mary!! Nicely done! =o)

message 41: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments Excellent. a minimum of 3 per month is impressive.

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5654 comments Congratulations Mary. Looks like you had some great reads during the year. Always good to get out of your comfort zone.