Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2017 Level 2 (Investigator) > Donna's 2017 Cozy Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Donna (weegraydog) (last edited Jan 31, 2017 03:32PM) (new)

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Hi, everybody! I'm in for 2017. I figured I'll go through the challenge list once, read the extra ten books, and then see how many more cozies I can read, while reading some other genres. Happy reading to all in 2017!

1. One from culinary (anything dealing with food: restaurants, baked goods, etc.)
2. One from animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.)
3. One from craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.)
4. One from paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.) I'm swapping this category out to one from religious-related
5. One from British cozy mysteries (example: Belinda Lawrence series)
6. One career-based cozy mystery (housekeeping, wedding planner, etc.)
7. One holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.)
8. One travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.)
9. One historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present)
10. One is your choice! (freebie!)

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Sounds like a good plan, Donna!

message 3: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
I always enjoy seeing what you read

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments I have so many different series going at the same time, but I can't seem to stop looking for new ones! That's part of the fun!

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "I have so many different series going at the same time, but I can't seem to stop looking for new ones! That's part of the fun!"

That's me, Donna! Exactly.

A couple of months ago, I decided that I couldn't afford to fill in the missing books that my library doesn't have in so many series. Now, I try to only get started on ones that are complete or at least almost so at my library.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "I have so many different series going at the same time, but I can't seem to stop looking for new ones! That's part of the fun!"

That's me, Donna! Exactly.

A couple of months ago, I ..."

Sounds like a good plan!

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "Sounds like a good plan!"

If only I can stick to it. (Wondering already how many times I will cheat next year.)

message 8: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 792 comments Mod
Welcome Donna and have fun!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Thanks, Yvonne! I'm getting excited to get started!

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 229 comments Good luck Donna!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Susie wrote: "Good luck Donna!"

Thanks, Susie--you too!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 1. Culinary: Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson 4/5

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "1. Culinary: Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson 4/5"

I'll probably be using one of hers too, Donna.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "1. Culinary: Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson 4/5"

I'll probably be using one of hers too, Donna."

That's a new series for me--I enjoyed the book!

message 15: by Britney (new)

Donna wrote: "1. Culinary: Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson 4/5"

Always wondered how her books were.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Britney wrote: "Donna wrote: "1. Culinary: Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson 4/5"

Always wondered how her books were."

I enjoyed it--I'm sure I'll read more in the series.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 2. Animal: Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2) by Miranda James 3/5

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "2. Animal: Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2) by Miranda James 3/5"

I've listened to a couple of these on audio. It sort of jolted me at the beginning since Charlie is a man but it's read by a woman.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "2. Animal: Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2) by Miranda James 3/5"

I've listened to a couple of these on audio. It sort of jolted me at the beginning since Charlie is a man but it's read by a ..."

Oh, that WOULD be kind of strange!

message 20: by Donna (weegraydog) (last edited Feb 12, 2017 05:07PM) (new)

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 3. Craft-based: A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4) by Maggie Sefton 2/5

message 21: by Britney (new)

How do you like the knitting series?

message 22: by Donna (weegraydog) (last edited Feb 02, 2017 09:02PM) (new)

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Britney wrote: "How do you like the knitting series?"

To be honest, I'm not crazy about it--I had the book at 3 stars and downgraded it to 2 stars, and I'm not sure if I'll read any more in the series. I have trouble keeping some of the female characters straight--some of them seem too much alike. I like the Needlecraft series better by Monica Ferris.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 4. I switched out the paranormal category to a mildly religious-related one, in that the protagonist is a female Episcopal priest. To Darkness and to Death (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne, #4) by Julia Spencer-Fleming 4/5

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "4. I switched out the paranormal category to a mildly religious-related one, in that the protagonist is a female Episcopal priest. To Darkness and to Death (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne, #4) by Julia Spencer-Fleming 4/5"

I love that series, Donna! I have to say that To Darkness and to Death is my least favorite so far. I thought too much time was spent away from either Clare or Russ.

I'm up to #6, I Shall Not Want which I should get to in February.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "4. I switched out the paranormal category to a mildly religious-related one, in that the protagonist is a female Episcopal priest. To Darkness and to Death (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne, #4) by Julia Spencer-Fleming 4/5"

I..."

Yes, this was certainly different, kind of like the TV series "24." I agree, I missed the Clare and Russ story line, but it was an interesting departure from the usual mystery story--more of a suspense-thriller.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 5. British: Hiss and Hers (Agatha Raisin, #23) by M.C. Beaton 4/5

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "5. British: Hiss and Hers (Agatha Raisin, #23) by M.C. Beaton 4/5"

Dear Agatha's stories are always fun!

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne yeah I love agatha and I think they have done a great TV version, not sure if its been shown in the US yet.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "5. British: Hiss and Hers (Agatha Raisin, #23) by M.C. Beaton 4/5"

Dear Agatha's stories are always fun!"

Yes, I love Agatha with all her sarcasm and insecurities!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Joanne wrote: "yeah I love agatha and I think they have done a great TV version, not sure if its been shown in the US yet."

I didn't know there was a TV version out--I would love to see it some time!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 6. Career-based (herbalist): Hangman's Root (China Bayles Mystery, Book 3) by Susan Wittig Albert 3/5

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) That's another series I read a few of back in the 90s and then forgot about. Have to see what my library has.

message 33: by Joanne (last edited Feb 13, 2017 11:17PM) (new)

Joanne Donna wrote: "Joanne wrote: "yeah I love agatha and I think they have done a great TV version, not sure if its been shown in the US yet."

I didn't know there was a TV version out--I would love to see it some time!"

Yes BBC America possibly would have it. cant think where else. or iTV which is also British may have it. YOU"LL LOVE IT. its hilarious but very good.

if you buy DVDs online you would get as well I'm sure. Surely Amazon would have it.

follow the link and you can read about it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5015548/

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Joanne wrote: "Donna wrote: "Joanne wrote: "yeah I love agatha and I think they have done a great TV version, not sure if its been shown in the US yet."

I didn't know there was a TV version out--I would love to ..."

Thanks, Joanne!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 7. Holiday-based (Christmas-New Year's): Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6) by Jacqueline Winspear 4/5

message 36: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "7. Holiday-based (Christmas-New Year's): Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6) by Jacqueline Winspear 4/5"

I read that one just last month, Donna.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "7. Holiday-based (Christmas-New Year's): Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6) by Jacqueline Winspear 4/5"

I read that one just last month, Donna."

I noticed that--it wasn't a real cheerful Christmas story, but it was interesting. The Maisie Dobbs books are a little more serious, so I kind of space them apart more.

message 38: by Susie (new)

Susie | 229 comments Your are moving right along!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Susie wrote: "Your are moving right along!"

Thanks, although compared to some others, like Dagny and Mark, I'm standing still! They are amazing!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 8. Travel: Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2) by Conrad Allen 4/5

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "8. Travel: Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2) by Conrad Allen 4/5"

I don't have any travel ones yet - although I do have some that qualify when I can get around to them.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "8. Travel: Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2) by Conrad Allen 4/5"

I don't have any travel ones yet - although I do have some that qualify when I can get around to them."

This is a pretty good series--I had forgotten about it until the travel category brought it back to mind.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 9. Historical: In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen 4/5

Love the Molly Murphy series! Daniel Sullivan needs a swift kick in the pants!

Next up--a freebie--yay!!!

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "9. Historical: In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen 4/5

Love the Molly Murphy series! Daniel Sullivan needs a swift kick in the pants!"

He usually does, lol. I love that series also. It was one of the ones that made me realize I could enjoy historical mysteries.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "9. Historical: In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen 4/5

He usually does, lol. I love that series also. It..."

Yes, I'm finding that I'm enjoying historical mysteries more too. By the way, the first Agatha Raisin episode aired tonight on TV here. We enjoyed it, but nobody looked the way we pictured them, especially Agatha. It was interesting to see what a village in the Cotswolds looks like.

message 46: by Joanne (last edited Mar 04, 2017 08:26PM) (new)

Joanne Donna wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "9. Historical: In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen 4/5

He usually does, lol. I love that s..."

Awesome, glad you like it. There are also full cast drama audios with Penelope Keith as Agatha. They are good as well.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Joanne wrote: "Donna wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "9. Historical: In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen 4/5

He usually does, lol...."

Oh, interesting, thanks for the information, Joanne!

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments 10. Freebie: The Girl With Braided Hair (Wind River Reservation, #13) by Margaret Coel 4/5

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) I have a Margaret Coel book on my shelf, but it will be a while before I have time to get to it. It's Blood Memory, the first in a different series.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 534 comments Dagny wrote: "I have a Margaret Coel book on my shelf, but it will be a while before I have time to get to it. It's Blood Memory, the first in a different series."

That has been on my to-read list for a while--I'd like to get around to it this year. So many good series I want to read!

« previous 1 3 4