Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2017 Old & New Classic Challenge > 2017: Plethora's Old & New Classic's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Plethora (last edited May 13, 2017 05:04PM) (new)

message 2: by Melanti, New School Classics (new)

Melanti | 2429 comments Mod
You've got a good list here, though I haven't read much of it yet.

The Black Tulip sounds really interesting though.

message 3: by Pink, Old School Classics (new)

Pink | 5704 comments Mod
I've read Brideshead Revisited, Jamaica Inn and Persuasion, all great books! Good luck with your list :)

message 4: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 4 comments Oops... ha, I read Captain Blood in December after posting my list. This was originally # 5 under my New School section (published 1922).

Replacing on 12/18/16 with The Dick: A Novel by Bruce Jay Friedman - Published 1970

message 5: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 111 comments Awesome list! I'm still avoiding du Maurier ..... I don't know if I'll ever read her again, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts. All the best for this challenge!

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee | 551 comments Cleo wrote: "Awesome list! I'm still avoiding du Maurier ..... I don't know if I'll ever read her again, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts. All the best for this challenge!"

If I may ask, why are you avoiding her? Do you not like her writing?

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 551 comments What a great list! You have some great books on there, many that I haven't read yet, but are on my TBR list. I have Persuasion, Jamaica Inn, and The Phantom of the Opera on my list for next year too. I hope you enjoy reading them all, and good luck with the challenge :)

message 8: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 1664 comments I wanted to read The Black Tulip this year.but could not.
Maybe next year.

Of your list I have only read Persuasion.one of my favs from her.

Hope you have a wonderful reading year!

message 9: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 4 comments Completed Wild Card # 7

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Read: 01/04/2017
Rating: 4 due to rounding, more of a 3.5

Still a little lost by some of the events, it was certainly a ride through the weird. I saw the play like 20 years ago and didn't remember enough to even start to try and relate it to the book. Christine and Raoul are a bit too whiny and immature and can grate on your nerves.

message 10: by Plethora (last edited Jan 20, 2017 08:43PM) (new)

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 4 comments Completed New School #4

The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker
Read 01/19/17
Rating: 4

This is my first Bram Stoker so I can't compare it to Dracula, but I enjoyed this. It reminded me of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins in ways. I didn't know prior to reading this that Bram was very interested in Egyptian mythology. At times I did find myself skimming over some slow spots that didn't seem to be pertinent to me, hopefully they weren't. ;)