Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > my images are still gone in Firefox for Mac

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Feb 28, 2008 12:02PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments From the image migration a long time back, all my images (or most of them) are still gone when I use Firefox 2.0.0.11 for Mac OS 10.4.8. I've deleted cookies multiple times, restarted, signed in & out, etc. etc. etc. Any ideas?

I do generally use Safari but used Firefox for Goodreads bookshelf exports and for printing anything I wanted to print. And, I did like the option to use Firefox since it seems to be the preferred browser here. But, GR is now hard to look at with it, so not really able to use Firefox anymore.

Missing images are users' and groups' avatars and book covers.

Thank you for any troubleshooting ideas.

I'd rather not get a new version of Firefox if it can be avoided.

Edit: I do have images downloading automatically and I'm not having image problems in other web sites. Thanks.

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
Are you using AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, or any similar FF extensions? Have you tried deleting not only cookies but your FF cache?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Rivka, I'm not using any of those extensions/any added extensions. And clearing the cache (twice) didn't help, although I hadn't done that before so my hopes were up. Thank you for trying - your suggestions should have worked! This is very strange.

message 4: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Hmm. Those were the culprits when I had similar problems.

You might want to try creating a new profile in FF and see if that helps at all.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Thanks so much Rivka. I'll try that. Also, it looked as though I was clearing the cache. But maybe there's a thorough way to do it? If so, I don't know how so I didn't/just clicked the clear cache now button.

message 6: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I believe there is.

In FF, Tools > Options > Privacy
Click "Settings" A box should pop up; make sure the boxes for "cookies" and "cache" are both checked (the others are up to you, but I don't think they'd make any difference for this) and then click "ok." Then press "Clear now."

Try that before the profile thing, if you haven't already done that.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Rivka, Thanks but that did not work. But good to know where it is - I don't know Firefox that well. Might have to do the profile or wondering if I should download a new version of FF? Thank you for all the help. I do miss the images/Firefox for GR.

message 8: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I learned all this the other month when I was having FF problems. ;)

Downloading a new FF won't do anything unless you also delete your profile. So just creating a new profile is probably more effective.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Rivka, Thank you so much for all of your help. I finally deleted all my Firefox/Mozilla files out of my computer (7 in addition to the application) and downloaded the latest version of Firefox for Mac.

My images are back. Yay! And, Firefox seems to load GR faster than it did as well.

message 10: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

:)

message 11: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Rivka the master tech support agent?

Glad it was sorted out!

message 12: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Rivka the master tech support agent?

*snort* Not likely. However, when I have a tech problem and someone helps me fix it, I often take notes so I can figure it out the next time.

So I can help people who had exactly the same problem I had, as long as it was recently enough that my notes make sense. And their system is the same. And the weather conditions are similar. ;)

(Other than that, I can guess randomly as well as the next guy. :D )