African-American Historical Fiction discussion

The Spook Who Sat by the Door
This topic is about The Spook Who Sat by the Door
Archives > The Spook Who Sat by the Door

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon After learning about the death of Sam Greenlee last week, I decided to bump his best known novel, The Spook Who Sat by the Door, to the top of my priority list.

QBR, the first national book review exclusively dedicated to books about the African experience, included the book on its list of 100 Essential Black Books.QBR deems the list as one that includes the 100 most important books in black history. The list was created in 1999. The webpage that included the original list is no longer active but you can visit my QBR Essential Black Books Shelf if you'd like to see what else was included.

I picked up the book from the library last week and will start reading it on 5/27/2014. Hopefully a few members of the group will join in the discussion. You can find an article on Sam Greenlee here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/enterta...

Beverly | 1078 comments Shannon wrote: "After learning about the death of Sam Greenlee last week, I decided to bump his best known novel, The Spook Who Sat by the Door, to the top of my priority list.

QBR, t..."

I will probably join you but cannot start until the end of the week and I need to find my copy that is somewhere in my library.

message 3: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - added it

kisha | 3722 comments Mod
I believe I reserved this at the library. They didn't have it available when I went in on Friday. I will join when my copy becomes available. Though I have to admit I'm reading quite a few books at once so I may be slow in the discussion. I'll try. I really would like to tackle this book.

message 4: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (_lulu217) | 1981 comments Mod
I'll be joining as well, but it will probably be Sunday (6/1)when I start.

message 5: by Shannon (last edited May 09, 2015 10:43AM) (new) - added it

Shannon I've started and within the first 15 pages, he's already touched on classism, uninformed voting, the crabs in a barrel mentality, and in the words of rapper T.I., the "where you from, who you know, what you makin, what kind of car you in" mentality. I'll be glad when you all start reading it!

message 6: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - added it

Crabs in a barrel is something that i'd like to read about. I can't wait until my book comes in.

Beverly | 1078 comments Shannon wrote: "I've started and within the first 15 pages, he's already touched on classism, uninformed voting, the crabs in a barrel mentality, and in the words of rapper T.I., the "where you from, who you know,..."

OK - I did the first step - I found my copy of the book - but still probably will not be able to start until I finish two of the books I am currently reading.

message 8: by Shannon (last edited Jun 01, 2014 09:49AM) (new) - added it

Shannon Chapters 1-7

I have a question for you all once you get going with the book. Would you have a problem being the "token negro?" I had this conversation with a friend some time ago and she was vehemently against it. I wasn't bothered by it because I figured if that would get me in the door then fine. After that, my work would speak for itself. My point of view has changed since reading this book and I'll elaborate on it when a few people that have made it through chapter 7 have a chance to respond. I can't do it now without including spoilers.

message 9: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Chapters 1-5

Freeman's girlfriend thinks he has to much allegiance to the people that he, in her eyes, is now better than. He decided to call her on her crap at one point stating, "Except for your college degree those people are just like you." How much do you agree or disagree with that statement?

message 10: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - added it

Just got my copy. I'll catch up tonight.

Beverly | 1078 comments Shannon wrote: "Chapters 1-7

I have a question for you all once you get going with the book. Would you have a problem being the "token negro?" I had this conversation with a friend some time ago and she was vehe..."

I guess I am going to age myself again. It was often hard not to be a "token Negro" when this book was written.

I will be able to start the book tonight and so can comment on the situation in the book.

Beverly | 1078 comments Where is everyone with this book?

I was able to finish last night.

message 13: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm on page 8 and I'm already offended. LOL

message 14: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 11.

message 15: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's clear that Freeman has an agenda. I don't think he joined the CIA with intentions of staying there. I'm curious to see the direction in which this book will go.

message 16: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will never understand why we (Black Americans) destroy our own stuff when we riot.

message 17: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

This was a very interesting read.

message 18: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I thought the issue with the dogs was powerful and I wonder were those the true sentiments of others around the country - that once the dogs were brought in, that was the breaking point.

Beverly | 1078 comments Lulu wrote: "I will never understand why we (Black Americans) destroy our own stuff when we riot."

Doing that shows the level of frustration and hopelessness.
And unfortunately often times it is violence by the oppressed that brings about change.

And there is the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back"

message 20: by Kendric (new)

Kendric Boykin (New_Writer24) | 47 comments Sounds interesting

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Spook Who Sat by the Door (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sam Greenlee (other topics)