Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

LGBT > Julie Anne Peters

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I would like to recommend this author for those interested in LGBT books.

"Luna" is a powerful and beautifully written story, from the perspective of a sister about her male-to-female transgender sibling. This story came very close to making me cry -- which is difficult these days.

The other one I read is "Between Mom and Jo" about a boy with lesbian mothers. This story had such wonderfully unexpected turns and twists. Another very loving story.

message 2: by Charlizechat (new)

Charlizechat | 30 comments Keeping You a Secret is another good Peters YA novel, about a girl whose budding relationship with a very 'out' girl leads her to confront her own identity, with some painful real-world implications. It's a serious but not pessimistic take, and emotionally gratifying.

Define "Normal" isn't about LGBT issues, but is a friendship novel dealing with the mutual misunderstandings of two girls, one of whom is into punkish self-expression. Both these novels deal with class issues quite a bit too, esp. as pertains to parents enforcing their societal expectations on their offspring.

I haven't read Far from Xanadu yet, but it deals with a gender-bending girl who has a lot of acceptance from those around her, and her longing for an elusive new girl. Probably it's more of a wish-fulfillment kind of book, but I'm eager to read it. And Peters has something new coming out shortly, I believe.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Aug 02, 2009 11:36AM) (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) ***SPOILERS!!!!***
***SPOILERS!!!!***

I am gay and in middle school and high school I basically consumed anything LGBT related that I could get my hands on, so I've read a few of Peters books. But truthfully, they were never gratifying to me. I was looking for strong LGBT characters that had some "happily ever afters" but her books totally lack it.
Couple of examples: In Keeping You a Secret, the main character winds up homeless and her mom hates her when she comes out. In Far from Xanadu, she ends up tricked and used. (AND how stereotypical to make the lesbian a plumber and softball player, wtf?).

(Also, it's been years since I've read these, so these details might be messed up)

I don't know what message she's trying to send, aside from "have fun dealing with all this shit if you identify as LGBT". I know there has to be drama to make it an engaging book, but can't it end up happily??

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Danielle,

I highly recommend you check out Luna, which I consider Peters' best so far and let me know what you think. What I do think happens in Luna is a realistic ending; how happy-ever-after it is seems subjective to me.

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Just finished Keeping You a Secret! What a fabulous book! I absolutely adored it!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 6 comments I think the best Julie Anne Peters book is "By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead" even though it is not LGBT based. My favorite LGBT based book by her though is "She Loves You, She Loves You Not" it is about a girl who gets disowned by her dad after he finds her and her girlfriend together. She gets sent to her birth mom's home in a different state!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I really loved Between Mom and Jo too. Broke my heart!!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie | 6 comments Julie Anne peters is my favorite writer! Those are my favorites, I have read them all and they're all great!