Casual Readers discussion

Challenges > Casual Summer

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Jun 01, 2014 01:40AM) (new)

Amber (puresurplus) | 830 comments Mod
The Casual Summer challenge begins on June 1st and ends at midnight EDT on August 31st, 2014.

ENTER HERE

Eligible books are those currently listed on our group bookshelf as a monthly group read, a secondary series group read, an alternate group read or as a poll reject and are read within the dates of this challenge.

You must be an active member of this group to qualify.

All qualifying reads must be shelved as 'casualsummer' to verify eligibility.

Comment below with your individual entries as they are completed using the add book/author feature. Please, edit your original post when adding more completed eligible reads.

For additional details and prize information, please visit the blog.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

message 2: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Jun 04, 2014 03:41AM) (new)

It looks like April & Rachel are in the lead with ONE book so far! Make sure you post 'em here ladies, or they won't count.

message 3: by April (new)

April (apriltara) | 63 comments I'm not sure if mine does count since I started it before the challenge started but finished it after it started. I kept trying to get to that thread but the Kindle Goodreads app suuuuucks so hard.

Anyway, that's why I haven't posted mine, wanted to check the rules first.

message 4: by Amber, The Founder (new)

That so counts! And I feel your pain with the Kindle app. I. HATE. IT.

message 5: by April (last edited Jun 07, 2014 12:19PM) (new)

April (apriltara) | 63 comments It keep taking me back to the main screen! You'd think of all the apps you can put on a Kindle, that would be the one that functions properly.

Ok , since it counts, I finished "Ocean at the End of the Lane" yesterday or Monday.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Starting "Oryx and Crake" now (as my kid reads Fangirl for the library's YA book club.)

message 6: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Aug 08, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Just posting by example. Obviously, I can't win my own hosted challenge!

#1 We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

#2 Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer

#3 The Line (Witching Savannah, #1) by J.D. Horn

#4 How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back (White Trash Zombie, #4) by Diana Rowland

#5 Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff

message 7: by Cherish (last edited Jun 05, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Of course you can, Amber. You matter, too! ;)

And here's my first, Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
I hope that I posted this right. I finished reading this book two days ago. It is a poll read on the booklist and I added a shelf for it. If I posted it wrong please let me know and I'll delete it or change what I have to. And if it doesn't count in the challenge, no problem just let me know. Thanks!

message 9: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Wendy wrote: "The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
I hope that I posted this right. I finished reading this book two days ago. It is a poll read on the booklist and I added a shelf for it. If I posted it wr..."

You're doing it right! Basically, anything on our group bookshelf is fair game.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell #2 pollrejects, I just finished reading this morning.

message 11: by Lila, The Cat Lady (last edited Jun 17, 2014 08:38PM) (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
Two read so far.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments One down! The Line (Witching Savannah, #1) by J.D. Horn

message 13: by Amber, The Founder (new)

What did you think about The Line? I definitely plan on reading the next in series!

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Amber wrote: "What did you think about The Line? I definitely plan on reading the next in series!"
I liked the southern setting and the ending was definitely unexpected. I want to see more world building with how the magic works! I'm thinking about picking up the next in the series too.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Do books on the throwback thursday shelf also count?

message 16: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Ashley wrote: "Do books on the throwback thursday shelf also count?"

I didn't mention it specifically, but I say YES!

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Amber wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Do books on the throwback thursday shelf also count?"

I didn't mention it specifically, but I say YES!"

Okay, cool :)

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Book #2 complete The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman. So heartbreaking! :(

message 19: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments And just finished my second, Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger :)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Book 3 completed The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

message 21: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Okay, book three complete! :) Just finished Daughter of Smoke & Bone and can't bieve it's a cliff hanger! I'm on a ferry, heading to a secluded island for a week, with no access to a bookstore *sigh*

message 22: by Wendy (last edited Aug 03, 2014 10:27AM) (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty #1
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell #2
Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen #3
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart #4

message 23: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Who's going to pass me? I only have one more before reaching my goal...

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Amber, it looks like your going to finish first. I had a whole bunch of library books that I had to read before I lost them. I'll be power reading this coming month though. :)

message 25: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Amber wrote: "Who's going to pass me? I only have one more before reaching my goal..."

Lol, I may have made my goal a little steep @ 10 books ;P That said, I am on #4 and there is still half a summer to go!

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments I'm just starting to read We Were Liars. Is this book going to count? I just noticed that it is a monthly group read but it was for June. I can't believe that it is already August! Where is the time going?!?

message 27: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Wendy wrote: "I'm just starting to read We Were Liars. Is this book going to count? I just noticed that it is a monthly group read but it was for June. I can't believe that it is already August! Where is the tim..."

All books on our bookshelf (past, present and future) count!

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments I just finished reading We Were Liars, that's number 4. I only have one more book to go but I don't think I'm going to finish in time. I'm staying with a good friend who had surgery so I'm being a caregiver for the next five more weeks. Happy Reading Everyone!

message 29: by Amber, The Founder (new)

I hope your friend feels better soon!

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Thanks Amber, He had a hip replacement surgery and I'm driving him to and from his appointments and changing the bandages everyday. My dog and I are hanging out in the country. I love it out here, it's so peaceful when I'm not cooking and cleaning. LOL

message 31: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Aug 06, 2014 12:38PM) (new)

By the way, I have a special gift for ALL participants! Just send me a private message with your (physical mail) addy if you want it.

*You only qualify if are participating in this challenge.

message 32: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments do I just comment here to be a participant?

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments I'm now working on moving to another state so I think I lose haha

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments I added one book to my casual reads, the silkworm

message 35: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Lindsay wrote: "do I just comment here to be a participant?"

Yep! Also, use the ENTER HERE link to officially participate in the challenge plus track your 'casualsummer' shelf.

All books count from our bookshelf as long as they were read sometime between June 1st & Aug. 31st.

This challenge ends in just a couple weeks. Good luck!

message 36: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Finally finished my fourth challenge book, The Night Circus. That took forever!
Now, on to number five!

message 37: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Aug 20, 2014 07:38PM) (new)

Just 10 more days to meet your goals! Looks like Cherish may be our big winner...

Remember: If you are a participant, message me your mailing address for a special gift just for trying.

message 38: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Triple check your entries and make sure they are all listed here! Prizes to be awarded soon...

message 39: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Number 5 completed! Just finished reading 'How to Run With a Naked Werewolf'. *Phew!*
Now, I have to get up for a road trip in five hours. On to book number 6! :)

message 40: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments finished Ocean at the End of the Lane

message 41: by Amber, The Founder (new)

And the winner is... CHERISH! Congrats ☺

I will be mailing out prizes on Tuesday.

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Congratulations Cherish!!! WTG!!!

message 43: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 226 comments Mod
Congrats Cherish!!!!!

message 44: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Thanks, lovelies :)
That said, I thought I saw that someone else beat me out by one, last week. No?

message 45: by Amber, The Founder (new)

We tied at 5 (by those listed here in the qualification thread). If someone didn't follow directions, it's their loss! Mailing out surprises tomorrow...

Congrats ☺

message 46: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (Lady_Cherish) | 45 comments Oh, how fun! Thank you, Amber. I so appreciate your enthusiasm and leadership on here :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

We Were Liars (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane (other topics)
The Husband's Secret (other topics)
Eleanor & Park (other topics)
More...