Books by Inis L. Fal discussion

Adventurous Author Interviews > Fifth Fun and Fanciful 'Mini' Interview With Author Jennifer Alderson

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inis (new)

Inis Fal | 136 comments Mod
Hello, everybody! Once again I'm really excited to add yet another great and adventurous author to my ever-growing list...and this time my thanks goes to my friend Jennifer Alderson for agreeing to participate in this book group...and my thanks to all the other great authors who have participated so far...it's been a total blast hearing from them, and a very awe-inspiring (and humbling) experience for me...so thanks! And with that, I'll let Jennifer take it away!

#1 What is your name? Do you have a pen name?
Thanks for interviewing me, Inis! I use my maiden name as pen name, including the ‘S’ for Stacey because there is another published author out there named Jennifer ‘J.’ Alderson.

#2 What first inspired you to begin writing?
One of my favorite childhood memories is of my father and me writing up short stories together. During college I majored in journalism and worked as a journalist and newspaper editor before life took me in other directions.

#3 Where did you get the idea for your plot/story-line?
A life-changing trip to Southeast Asia and the many crazy backpackers I met during my travels were the stimulus to write my first novel, Down and Out in Kathmandu: adventures in backpacking. My love of art history and relocation to Amsterdam inspired the second novel, The Lover’s Portrait: An Art Mystery.

#4 Who is your favorite character?
In the first book, Tommy the buffoon was the most fun to write, though he really is an idiot. My favorite character is probably Bernice Dijkstra, a museum project manager in my second novel, because she is partially based one of my favorite professors at the University of Amsterdam. She knows it, enjoyed reading my novel and thankfully loves the character too!

#5 What is your favorite place or country in the world?
Nepal was the first country I visited that doesn’t border on the United States and the country, culture and people left an enormous impression on me. Fiji is probably the most relaxed place I’ve ever been; perfect beaches, amazing diving, welcoming locals and an interesting culture make for it a fantastic vacation destination.

#6 What is your favorite food? {not really a food person so skipping this one…}

#7 Favorite foreign language?
I do love the sound of French and Italian when spoken by locals. My French is atrocious so I’ll say Dutch. It took me a year to learn to speak it properly and I still have a noticeable accent, which luckily the locals find charming.

#8 Name your favorite thing about telling stories.
In a way I get to relive my adventures when using places I’ve been to or events I’ve witnessed while writing about them. That’s fun for me as a writer.

#9 What is the purpose of your writing?
To share my crazier experiences with others and hopefully allow them a glimpse into a place, time or situation they may otherwise not have known about.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (JennifeSAlderson) | 4 comments How fun! Thanks for interviewing me, Inis!

message 3: by Inis (new)

My pleasure, Jennifer! Thanks for doing such a fun interview!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (JennifeSAlderson) | 4 comments Inis wrote: "My pleasure, Jennifer! Thanks for doing such a fun interview!"
Hi Inis, I mentioned your mini-interviews in my blog this week...

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (Marktheflamebook) | 27 comments Thanks for sharing this interview. It's nice to hear from all the authors.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (JennifeSAlderson) | 4 comments Mark wrote: "Thanks for sharing this interview. It's nice to hear from all the authors."

No problem! I enjoyed reading them all and look forward to more.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (Marktheflamebook) | 27 comments Thanks for bringing this interview to us. I'm sorry for my time away, but life calls. I'm very glad to see so many good authors participating in the interviews.

message 8: by Inis (new)

Thanks, Mark!