Sense and Sensibility Sense and Sensibility discussion

What about Miss Morton?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandy OK, Edward refused to marry Miss Morton, Mrs. Ferrars then wished Robert instead could marry Miss Morton, but Robert married Lucy.
What about Miss Morton? Wouldn't she hate the brothers. :)

NorikoY Oh yes! Poor Miss Morton!

I-Read-That-Too I think the joke is that we're never given Miss Morton's opinion, if she even had one. Jane Austen didn't seem to like people deciding their children's marriages for them (See: Lady De Bourgh and Darcy's mom, and Mrs Bennet compared to Mr Benner r.e. Lizzie and Collins, and the entire plot of Persuasion...and Tilney Senior, and Frank Churchhill's adopted mother).

Sandy I-Read-That-Too wrote: "I think the joke is that we're never given Miss Morton's opinion, if she even had one. Jane Austen didn't seem to like people deciding their children's marriages for them (See: Lady De Bourgh and D..."

Good point.

IvanOpinion She was well-off and seems to have been very passive, so I choose to imagine that she was soon found another match, which was just as likely to make her happy as the Ferrars boys.

Sandy IvanOpinion wrote: "She was well-off and seems to have been very passive, so I choose to imagine that she was soon found another match, which was just as likely to make her happy as the Ferrars boys."

Hope so. :)