English 10 discussion

Reading Strategies

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Dean | 6 comments Mod
Share a little about the reading strategies you are using for your book or offer advice to others about applying reading strategies. Explore different ways they help you and some other situations where you might be able to use them?

message 2: by Fredrick (new)

Fredrick (xx_da_fr3dt3r_xx) | 2 comments I usually picture the story as I am reading. When I'm done, I ask questions about what I read and what's going to happen next.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey | 1 comments When I read, I use many different reading strategies including imagery, prediction, and rereading. When reading my book imagery helps me visualize what is happening, how the characters are reacting and what the scene might look like. I predict when something suspenseful happens, and then I continue reading to see if I was right. Also when reading my book I have to reread sometimes because it doesn't make sense the first time.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Shaw (Courtney_Shaw) | 1 comments When I read, I use a couple different reading strategies. I mainly like to visualize the situation the characters are in because it helps me focus more on what's going on. I also try and connect to the story and the characters, that way the book is more interesting to me. Another tool I use a lot is rereading because I'll forget what I read and rereading makes it fresh in my mind again.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ireland | 1 comments A reading strategy that I use is stopping after each chapter to reflect and think about what just happened in the book.

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth | 1 comments The reading stratigies that I use when I am reading my story are visualization and questioning. These skills are pretty essential for understanding the details of the story, and how these details help prove the point that the author's trying to prove. I could try using prediction to try and guess what will happen next, but it's kind of hard to do with this story, because of the way it is layed out.

message 7: by Noah (last edited Apr 18, 2021 09:01PM) (new)

Noah (noah_d_22053gh) | 1 comments I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
I use a combination of visualizing and re-reading to try to really understand and picture and COMPREHEND what is going on in the story.

I can also connect much of my book (I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai) with the world today, especially the ISIS situation and all that. It is really interesting to see the corruption of the Taliban and how it spread throughout Pakistan, mostly through lies which were made to seem like they were the words of Allah.

I also use metacognition, especially after the reading session when i am filling out my reading log, and thinking about what reading strategies worked best for me and what reading environment worked best for me (for example the amount of noise around me).

~Noah D