Indie Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Setting up Smashwords pre-order query

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 31 comments Hey, everyone.

I'm nearly at the stage of publishing something on Smashwords and was surprised to see [it's been a while...] that pre-orders can be set up.

I was just wondering if the author can download their own work when it's on pre-order (as it can't actually be bought via Smashwords during the pre-order period) as I'd want to be able to check the formatting was right (and it's handy for multi-format ARCs).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

[As an aside, it's my understanding that Amazon and The Others do pre-orders differently. The Others will stack up all your pre-order sales, so if you have 2 sales a day during a 2 month pre-order period that'll count as 60 or so on Release Day. Amazon counts each sale, pre-order or not, on the day it happens. So, a longer pre-order for The Others and a shorter one for Amazon makes sense].

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments you will always be able to check your ebooks, being the author. Pre-order or not, just download them when the book page is set up.

As for pre-orders long or short, neither have worked for me. Not on SW, not on Kobo, not on Amazon. Not with one week, not with 2-3 months. But YMMV! ;)

message 3: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 31 comments Thanks, Barbara :)

Never tried a pre-order before (the facility didn't exist for self-publishers at Smashwords/Amazon the last time I did it), but it seems like it'll be neutral at worst and positive at best.

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 41 comments I'm glad you asked this question, Thaddeus, because I was also wondering if I could download for ARCs and checking while in pre-order status. I thought I might have to publish, download, then unpublish temporarily. Good to know that's not necessary.

As for pre-orders, I've done it for short periods on Amazon, but I think the best I did was five books--and those were bought by people I knew personally. I'm going to try it again in the next few days, but this time I plan on promoting it more so we'll see. Like you say, at worst--neutral.