SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

South (Divided States, #1)
This topic is about South
All Book Discussions > South (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
The discussion thread for our Nov - Dec BoM. Please avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler tag to hide them: < spoiler> spoiler>

message 2: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Smith Oh, I have this! Will try and join in :)

It's on my bookshelf too :)

I'm excited to read it because Frank Owen is a pseudonym for South African authors Diane Awerbuck and Alex Latimer. I've only read The Space Race by Latimer but I loved it and it has one of the best covers I have ever seen:
The Space Race by Alex Latimer

message 4: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Smith I still have to read The Space Race. I think Alex might have done the cover himself, as he's an illustrator as well. I've been lucky enough to meet both the authors and see them speak at the launch of South and then again at the Open Book Festival, so I really should just read the book already!

Latimer did do the cover. And he also did the cover for Tokoloshe Song by Andrew Salomon which is also just too stunning.

Tokoloshe Song by Andrew Salomon

message 6: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Smith Ooh yeah, that's a good one too!

Are you planning to read South next month?

Yup, most definitely. (I should be able to get around to it)

message 8: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Smith Any thoughts yet? I find it very well written but slightly slow going. I'm reading a chapter or two at a time but I'm never really compelled to push beyond that. I'm only about 14 chapters in though (they're short) so there's still plenty of time for the pace to pick up.
I like Vida. I have sympathy for Dyce, but I don't care about him that much. Garrett is an asshole. Felix is ok but so far he's just the backstory plot device.

I have yet to pick it up... but soon!