The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Godzilla (2014)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5343 comments So I finally saw Godzilla today. It was pretty dumb.

Even recalibrating the Stupid-o-meter for "giant monsters" doesn't stop it from being silly. I actually laughed out loud at one point, not out of delight but because it was all so ridiculous.

I'm onboard with kaiju. I thought Pacific Rim was pretty silly, too, but I enjoyed it. In Godzilla I just kept mocking it.

The Japanese are making fun of Godzilla's girth, calling him "the fat American Godzilla." And they're totally right. I don't want to body-shame a 100-story-tall lizard, but he's gone pear-shaped in his old age.

I didn't think it was possible to make Pacific Rim look like a work of brilliance, but Godzilla manages just that. Considering that director Gareth Edwards' first movie was the excellent Monsters, I was quite surprised. More money clearly doesn't equal better. If you really want to see it, wait for the DVD. It's a rental at best.

Some observations about the movie under spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5677 comments Mod
I loved Pacific Rim. It didn't try to make sense it was just a bunch of awesome battles between monsters and robots with some great humor.

This however took itself way too seriously and focused way too much on the humans. Yet this killed it at the box office. Kind of makes me sad. I'd prefer a PR2 over another Godzilla movie.

message 3: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (Quintessential_Defenestration) | 1035 comments A Godzilla that focused on the humans could have worked-- a dark disaster movie ala the original. Or a fun Godzilla beats up evil monsters could have been good. This tried to be both, which really makes nonsense. Worse, it tried to be both with what might be the worst lead actor I have seen in an action flick in decades. Man random army dude was terrible.

message 4: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Lawrence | 60 comments I went in with no expectations and enjoyed the movie. I didn't even mind Godzilla being a little chunky. The main issue was that the human component of the film was uneven.

Aaron Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen were wasted. Johnson's character is pretty much lifeless, a counter balance to Cranston's stellar performance.

The giant monsters looked cool, I liked seeing them fight. I'm happy they are fast tracking a sequel but I was hoping this success would light a fire under legendary's ass and get them to go forward with PR2.

message 5: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I liked the movie. I agreed with the decision to treat this more like a disaster movie than a monster movie, I thought it made the scenes with the monsters more exciting.

I was a little disappointed by which humans they chose to focus on. I had hoped it would be Brian Cranston and Ken Watanabe trying to warn people to no avail about the imminent monster attack.

Also, before Pacific Rim 2, or Godzilla 2, we have to sit through Power Rangers 1. Which studios apparently see as equivalent to these two franchises.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5343 comments I've seen a lot of people comparing Godzilla with Pacific Rim and calling PR the dumb one. That puzzles me, because Godzilla is just so relentlessly stupid that I actually felt a little insulted by it.

If we accept certain impossible scenarios as given -- giant monsters and magic technology -- then the two movies are a wash. But Godzilla sets up its world and the creatures' motivations and explains same at least three times, yet constantly violates its own rules.

I'll buy into anything as long as you don't violate your internal consistency.

The MUTOs seek out radioactive stuff and eat it. They are able to sense a single nuclear missile across half the country. Yet the female was inside America's nuclear waste facility! Why did she leave? That place is exactly what she's looking for!

And why did the male MUTO ignore all the nuclear power plants he flew by to get at those missiles? That's like passing up piles of steaks to get a Chicken McNugget. Not to mention the aircraft carrier, which is powered by two nuclear reactors, has nuclear-tipped missiles and literally tons of depleted-uranium bullets. That sucker is a floating smorgasbord.

At least Pacific Rim, for as silly and aimed-at-12-year-olds as it is, had an interesting backstory and unraveled the mystery of the monsters over the course of the film instead of relying on a single repeated infodump.

I guess I'm saying I want my silly movies to not also be dumb.

message 7: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (Quintessential_Defenestration) | 1035 comments I've found this extremely helpful when talking about why Godzilla is kind of dumb fun but PR, though silly, was a pretty intelligent film: http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot...

message 8: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 127 comments I do agree that even for a Godzilla movie, the motivations of the monsters and internal logic were garbage. Plus, the absolute and complete uselessness of any plans the military had were - baffling.
"We tried to bomb Godzilla already - didn't work. Those guys actually EAT radioactivity"
"Use a bigger bomb."

Oh, and bring it by TRAIN so it can be attacked, instead of, you know, helicopters, which we do after the train is trashed. Or, you know, on a way around the area where the MUTOs are, ore from the other direction, or - ANYTHING other than straight through their known path of destruction.

And please, can we cut the "monster suprises the hero by being behind him" crap? The size of the monsters was really impressive. That a thing like that sneaks up to you is - beyond perposterous.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 90 comments Jacob wrote: "I went in with no expectations and enjoyed the movie. I didn't even mind Godzilla being a little chunky. The main issue was that the human component of the film was uneven.

Aaron Johnson and Eliz..."

Even my 13 year old son said it was too bad that Brian Cranston character was not it the whole movie. That he brought a lot of emotional depth. This from a teenage boy. I think that was the most disappointing part for me. The "random army dude" that was picked to play the "main" character sucked. Sucked any life out of the movie. BUT. Its Godzilla. How can we not love Godzilla. And the destruction of San Francisco was awesome.

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Meservier (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments Yeah this didn't work for me either. I wish that they had spent more effort fleshing out the main players, cleaning out some of the nonesne from the plot, and polishing up the dialogue. Either that or just have more scenes of Godzilla tearing into things. It was just so... dull.

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5343 comments Jennifer wrote: "And the destruction of San Francisco was awesome. "

I thought Pacific Rim did it better.

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom (DiplomacyRules) | 25 comments Pacific Rim was good, dumb fun. Godzilla was smarter in its execution, smarter in its direction. The idea of Godzilla being an apex predator was quite welcome, and allowed Godzilla to be kind of a hero while still being a huge threat. The idea that there are things on the earth that humans need to just get out of the way of is a nice counterpoint to the usual dumb summer fare that has the human race beating back the alien/monster/robot invaders via some lame third act deus ex machina. In this film you know what Godzilla is about from the first time you see him. He's there to hunt, and you know in the end he is going to clean house and go home. The film's real triumph is the tense, well-sustained build-up to that last awesome fight. The payoff was worth it.

Pacific Rim, for comparison, had one awesome fight about halfway through the movie and after that it treads water. I actually fell asleep near the end! But I like it more with repeat viewings.

Every good entertainer knows to save the best for last. District 9 does that. So does Godzilla. Both are very different films, but ground themselves better than anything I've seen in the interim.

People complaining about Godzilla being fat are just stupid. Go google a picture of a crocodile or any other massive reptile. Educate yourself. Godzilla looks great. More like a mobile mountain. Unstoppable.

People complaining about the film lacking human drama have some good points. Sadly, the studios backing huge tentpole movies tend to play it safe here with tried and true plot arcs - fathers and sons, army dudes just trying to get back to their families, etc. Go see the director's first film, Monsters, and you'll see what could have been...

I'm a Pacific Rim fan, absolutely. But Godzilla is better. Godzilla lacks the imagination of PR, but if we're judging the films based on how successful they are in what they attempt, then Godzilla beats PR hands down.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5343 comments Tom wrote: "People complaining about Godzilla being fat are just stupid. Go google a picture of a crocodile or any other massive reptile. Educate yourself."

Of course, Godzilla isn't a crocodile. There's that. But I've never seen a croc jiggle the way that tubbo did.

message 14: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (WalterSpence) | 707 comments I left the movie with the impression that Godzilla's look might have been meant to emulate the Japanese human equivalent for intimidation, the Sumo wrestler.

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5343 comments The giant diaper does support your thesis.

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 327 comments I didn't like how Elizabeth Olsen's character seems to be there to cry and give the dude someone to worry about - what a waste.

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom (DiplomacyRules) | 25 comments Walter wrote: "I left the movie with the impression that Godzilla's look might have been meant to emulate the Japanese human equivalent for intimidation, the Sumo wrestler."

Good point, didn't pick up on that. Sumo wrestlers, Samoan wrestlers, NFL linebackers.....all people that may indeed be fat, but only a fool would mess with. I'm glad they beefed up Godzilla. Hopefully in the next one they can have him fighting something equally massive.

message 18: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (Quintessential_Defenestration) | 1035 comments The train of thought "people who think the design looks bad are uneducated because things exist that look just as bad in real life" is kind of hilarious.

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom (DiplomacyRules) | 25 comments Rob wrote: "The train of thought "people who think the design looks bad are uneducated because things exist that look just as bad in real life" is kind of hilarious."

Don't quote things that were never said or written, that's not how quotes work. Go help yourself to a big bowl of education.

I love fat Godzilla, a true hero for the American people.

message 20: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (buyerofgadgets) | 12 comments Rob wrote: "I'd prefer a PR2 over another Godzilla movie."

You'll be pleased to know that Paciifc Rim 2 has just been announced. http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/584...

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5677 comments Mod
Geoff wrote: "Rob wrote: "I'd prefer a PR2 over another Godzilla movie."

You'll be pleased to know that Paciifc Rim 2 has just been announced. http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/584...-..."

Yeah I saw that. Very happy.