Books2Movies Club discussion

A Man Called Ove
This topic is about A Man Called Ove
Spotlighted Reads > A Man Called Ove - book & movie

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adayla I'm curious if anyone has seen the movie yet? It's a Swedish film and just came out. I'm so excited to see it! I adored the book by Fredrick Backman.

Adayla Oops! New to the group and don't know how to edit posts yet ... But it's spelled Fredrik Backman.

message 3: by Blueberry (last edited Oct 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 154 comments Welcome to the group Adayla. I have not read it or seen it. But it is on my tbr list.

Adayla I definitely recommend the book! The writing style is so different and intriguing. I have no clue how the film makers will be able to capture the feel of the book that I admired so much. I'm very interested in watching it.

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz (hissheep) Loved the book! Just saw the movie -- an extremely well done adaptation!!

Zeljka (ztook) | 2832 comments Mod
I heard recently Tom Hanks is interested in doing a remake of this book/movie. Although I do not really understand the desire for remakes if the original is good enough. Is it really so difficult to watch a movie with subtitles?

A note to myself - next time ignore everything else in the library and borrow this book.

message 7: by Blueberry (last edited Sep 23, 2017 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 154 comments Zeljka wrote: "I heard recently Tom Hanks is interested in doing a remake of this book/movie. Although I do not really understand the desire for remakes if the original is good enough. Is it really so difficult t..."

Similar to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake. The original Swedish movie was apparently very successful.

This is what I read about it:
The original local-language film adaptation, directed by Hannes
Holm, was nominated for two Academy Awards earlier this
year and was the highest-grossing foreign-language film in the
U.S. in 2016. In addition, the pic was awarded the best comedy
prize at the European Film Awards in 2016.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
The original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is WAY better than the American film, IMO. Although the ending was different, and having not read the book, I'm curious which ending (meaning the mystery spoiler and all) is more accurate to the book?

Anyway, I agree, are people THAT averse to reading subtitles, if the film is good?

A Man Called Ove (book) was great. It was full of dry wit, which I enjoy. Oddly, it reminded me of The 100-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out a Window.... which was a book I gave up on, because it was boring, but had the same type of humor. I'll have to watch the movie sometime.

Zeljka (ztook) | 2832 comments Mod
I just finished this book for the other club. Amazing book, made me cry and laugh and feel so much! Now I am eager to watch the movie too :)

message 10: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubygrad) | 16 comments I loved the book and the movie. Frederik Bachman is one of my favorite authors.