The Signed Page discussion

GENERAL BOOKS > What book are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Speakman (shawn_speakman) | 14 comments Mod
I am currently reading a fantastic book titled The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. It publishes in January 10, 2017. It's beautiful written and reminds me a lot of Uprooted by Naomi Novik.

So, what are you reading?

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Legaspi | 1 comments I'm winding through and re-reading my collection of Stephen King. Right now, I'm finishing the Tommyknockers. I love how he makes simple concepts so intricately executed.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments I'm currently reading Jingo by Terry Pratchett as i'm working my way through the Discworld sequence in order, re-reading those books that I have read out of sequence on the way.

message 4: by Art (new)

Art Christensen | 3 comments I just finished The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin, book two of The Broken Earth trilogy. I'm currently reading The Nix by Nathan Hill. Shawn, I read Uprooted earlier this year and very much enjoyed it.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarc) | 7 comments Just started reading The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. It is the 4th book in his Lightbringer series.

Uprooted is nicely written but overall, I didn't like the story.

message 6: by Rabea (new)

Rabea McGhie | 2 comments I'm still reading Mark Noce's Between two fires. It's set in 597 AD Wales, beautifully written and totally captivating. Cannot bear to finish it.
Loved Uprooted and looking forward to reading The bear and the nightingale...

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 4 comments I just read a bunch of shorter horror for the 24-hour read-a-thon, including "The Hike" by Drew Magary, "October Country" by Bradbury and "Dark Harvest" by Norman Partridge. Now I want to start in on some Charles de Lint, as he'll be the Guest of Honor at Norwescon in April.

message 8: by Maurizio (new)

Maurizio Manzieri | 1 comments Following an advice by Mark Lawrence - here is his Goodread review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... -, I'm reading the fairly unknown Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft (The Books of Babel #1) and it's simply... A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

Like it happened for The Martian by Andy Weir, IMHO this book would deserve much more exposure!

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (becca69) | 8 comments I'm reading Kushiel's Dart and The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version. I have a huge stack of stories to get to including: The Many Selves of Katherine North, Dark Matter, Wild Cards Series, Snakewood, Smoke, Traitor's Blade, Trigger Warning, Magonia, Truthwitch, Starborn, Dexter is Dead... and the list goes on!

message 10: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmmartin) | 1 comments I'm enjoying Bloodrush by Ben Galley at the moment. It's an imaginative alternate Earth setting, and what really strikes me is the way magic works for the protagonist. I've not enjoyed such a unique system like this since the first Mistborn book.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark | 2 comments Beverly - I am so excited to get my hands on the Blood Mirror. Brent is such an amazing writer. I get so attached to his characters!

Rebecca - Kushiel's Dart is one of my all time favourite works. It's a little hefty in the beginning but it is so well done. I hope you enjoy it!

It took me a few years to find all used hardcovers of the Wheel of Time but I've done it. I am reading through it for the first time now and am on book four. I had been told conflicting opinions of the series but I am really impressed so far in my own experience.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 4 comments Mark wrote: "It took me a few years to find all used hardcovers of the Wheel of Time but I've done it. I am reading through it for the first time now and am on book four. I had been told conflicting opinions of the series but I am really impressed so far in my own experience. "

Mark, you are in for a treat! It gets a bit boggy in the middle but it's still an amazingly rich world, and still my favorite epic fantasy series, hands down. Sanderson slam dunks the ending.

message 13: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 25, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

Rebecca (becca69) | 8 comments Mark wrote: "Beverly - I am so excited to get my hands on the Blood Mirror. Brent is such an amazing writer. I get so attached to his characters!

Rebecca - Kushiel's Dart is one of my all time favourite works...."

I like it so far. I was able to purchase a signed, limited from Subterranean Press. The artwork was so lovely I just had to have it, although I had never heard of the series before. I'm hoping they continue with the rest of the books!

message 14: by Shawn (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Mark wrote: "Beverly - I am so excited to get my hands on the Blood Mirror. Brent is such an amazing writer. I get so attached to his characters!

Rebecca - Kushiel's Dart is one of my all time fav..."

I think I screwed up not ordering that special edition of Kushiel's Dart. Love that book and love Jacqueline!

message 15: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 25, 2016 09:52AM) (new)

Rebecca (becca69) | 8 comments Shawn, if I had another, I'd send it to you now! It's such a lovely edition.

message 16: by paolojackson (new)

paolojackson Sagullo | 1 comments I'm usually reading a few books at a time. Then one takes hold and I finish that, and start two more books. And so on and so forth.

Currently reading Theft of Sword (Michael J. Sullivan), The Waking Fire (Anthony Ryan), Uprooted (Naomi Novik).

message 17: by Chuck (new)

Chuck (chuckeye) | 2 comments Mark Frost's "Secret History of Twin Peaks".

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarc) | 7 comments paolojackson wrote: "I'm usually reading a few books at a time. Then one takes hold and I finish that, and start two more books. And so on and so forth.

Currently reading Theft of Sword (Michael J. Sullivan), The Wak..."

Let me know what you think of The Waking Fire. I'm on the fence about reading it. I loved Blood Song but hated Queen of Fire. I don't want to spend my book budget money on something that I find disappointing. Plus, I'm not a fan of books about dragons.

message 19: by Shawn (new)

paolojackson wrote: "I'm usually reading a few books at a time. Then one takes hold and I finish that, and start two more books. And so on and so forth.

Currently reading Theft of Sword (Michael J. Sullivan), The Wak..."

Wow! I'm one of those readers who can't read more than one book at a time... not sure why.

message 20: by Bookwraiths (new)

Bookwraiths Trial of Intentions (Peter Orullian) is what I'm reading right now. Really loving the part music plays in this world's magic.

message 21: by Elton (new)

Elton (booknutt) | 1 comments Reading The Bear and the Nightingale right now. A really good read so far.

message 22: by David (new)

David (dfculver) | 2 comments A guilty pleasure, I'm going through all of Rick Riordan's books right now, almost finished with them.

message 23: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Kaald | 2 comments Made it thru my pile of books to Unbound.

message 24: by Sean (new)

Sean (sshepard) | 2 comments In the middle of Dan Brown Inferno. Just finished The Twilight Dragon and other Tales of Annwn by Shawn Speakman.

message 25: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Talley (ccorbintalley) | 8 comments Every once in a while i move away from fantasy and throw in some espionage. Currently reading The Lincoln Myth by Steve Berry.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Mailhot  | 1 comments I'm currently reading Out Of Time by Monique Martin. I'm about halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it!

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments I am reading The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence.

message 28: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarc) | 7 comments Finished Blood Mirror about 10:30 last night. Soooo good, I had a difficult time getting to sleep because I kept thinking about it and wondering what was going to happen in the finale.

I just started Lost Gods by Brom this morning. Just the intro is excellent! I had a hard time stopping there.

message 29: by Shawn (new)

I just finished The Heart of What As List by Tad Williams. Now back to the wonderful Arden book

message 30: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Talley (ccorbintalley) | 8 comments now reading The Passage by Justin Cronin

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Miller (zepper55) | 2 comments Blood Mirror. Got to go slow so i don't mess up my signed copy!!!

message 32: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Beehler  | 1 comments I am almost finished reading The Elf Queen of Shannara. Re-reading the series to prepare myself for the final book.

message 33: by Rabea (new)

Rabea McGhie | 2 comments Started to read Katherine Arden's "Bear and the Nightingale" . Love it so far...

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 4 comments Stories of Your Life and Others, by Ted Chiang. Mine is the Arrival movie tie in, which is adapted from a short story in there.