Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived Challenges > Out of Your Comfort Zone!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Out of Your Comfort Zone!

Do you ever read books that are out of your comfort zone? Books that usually you don't pick up? Book in genres that you have never tried before? Books that you know you'd like but haven't gotten around to read because they are not your usual type ? Or books you've never been brave enough to read?

RULES: So here's a challenge! I dare you to read one book out of your comfort zone each month for the next 12 months (or one every other month, or even less, depending on the level you choose)!!

For you it could be Si-Fi, high-fantasy, memoir, non-fiction, erotica, M/M, classic literature, a chunkster, a horror book or even a comic book or absolutely anything else, it just has to be the kind of book you don't usually read!

You'd never know if you don't try it!!! So who's brave enough?

DURATION: One year from your start date. You can start anytime after November 1, 2016.

LEVELS:  
Wimp : 1-2 in 12 months
Gutsy : 3-6 in 12 months
Brave: 7-11 in 12 months
Fearless: 12 or more in 12 months
Don't forget to add your books to the RLftCI group 16,000 in 2016 Book Count Challenge. For more info, go here . If you're already a part of this group challenge, don't forget to tag these with the appropriate bookshelf!
                                       Photobucket

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm in. Not sure on the level, yet.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2016 04:04PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I know what I'm going to read for my first try.
I'm thinking I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai and The Lady In The Van by Alan Bennett

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It will be interesting to see what people choose.

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "It will be interesting to see what people choose."

Yes it should be interesting!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenarrowood) | 6 comments I'm in for this one. I seldom read memoirs or biographies, and never graphic novels.
I'll try for Gutsy :-)

Made a shelf for this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments The shelf is great idea. I'll do that too ! Thank;)

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It is a neat idea.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 09, 2016 09:26PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Finished my first book. Rise of the Rocket Girls The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars by Nathalia Holt . I’m still trying to decide what to rate it (4½ or 4 stars). While I loved it, there was A LOT of physics and math. Not that I haven't taken courses in those subjects. Although, I would have liked a few more diagrams, the author does a pretty good job of conveying what these ladies were doing, which was light years beyond my abilities.

I'm very appreciative of what these exceptional young women had to deal with in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond, being more pioneers than radical rebels; they were outstanding in their field and deserve more recognition.

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Finished my first book. Rise of the Rocket Girls The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars by Nathalia Holt. I’m still trying to decide what to rate it (4½ or 4 stars). Whi..."

Ooh That's interesting! I didn't know that.
I'll start mine in a week.

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I finished The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett it was seriously out of my comfort zone!

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 15, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm fearless

1. November: The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett
2.December: I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
3. January: Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Did you see the movie, ShoSho?

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Did you see the movie, ShoSho?"

No I'm planing to!

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Movie probably isn't quite as sad. Don't know, though, as I haven't read the book.

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Movie probably isn't quite as sad. Don't know, though, as I haven't read the book."

Yes I saw the trailer , it didn't seem sad at all!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments A little sad... love Maggie Smith.

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: " love Maggie Smith."

Yes me too

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Next up for December:
Sisters in Law How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirshman

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I haven't decided what to read for December yet.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments I have a couple on my To Read list that I put on there because I HEAR so much about them but they are definitely not my usual "genre" so I can pledge to read those a this year...I'll have my hands full with ALL the other challenges through out the months so I am going to have to be wimpy say 2 haha, not sure when I'll get to them but plan to read: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly wrote: "I have a couple on my To Read list that I put on there because I HEAR so much about them but they are definitely not my usual "genre" so I can pledge to read those a this year...I'll have my hands ..."

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is fantastic, it's not my kind of usual read either but I really enjoyed it.

I've been reading I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai since December, it's not an easy read so if I want to catch up and be fearless I have to finish that one and start another one for January.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Finished Sisters in Law How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirshman today for my in-person bookclub. Still trying to decide what to rate it.

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Out of Your Comfort Zone

I'm going for Gutsy and give myself at least 3 months to finish each book.

Read 0/4

1. Outlander
2. The Bronze Horseman
3. The Mists of Avalon
4. The Thorn Birds

Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have read The Thorn Birds when I was a teenager, I was braver then. I could read anything!!! I don't know if I'm up to rereading it again!

I like to read Outlander but I know it has (view spoiler) LK , you've read this right? Can you tell me (view spoiler)

I might read The Bronze Horseman with you, G!

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm fearless

1. November: The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett 3 stars
2.December: I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai 2 stars
3. January: Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick 4 stars the best one so far!

message 30: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "I have read The Thorn Birds when I was a teenager, I was braver then. I could read anything!!! I don't know if I'm up to rereading it again!

I like to read Outlander but I..."

That would be great. I'm a bit nervous about Outlander, for exactly those reasons.

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Jan 15, 2017 07:59PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments You didn't like I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai ?

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "You didn't like I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai?"

Nope. They writing was not captivating. A lot of of it was Pakistan history and who was in charge and who killed who and that sort of thing. A big chunk of it was about her father running his school. Only little pieces of it was about her. I liked those parts but not the book as a whole!

message 33: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments So basically, they had enough for an article but used filler to turn it into a book.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "So basically, they had enough for an article but used filler to turn it into a book."

Haahaaa exactly!

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have decided on my February OoCz book, I've picked up the PB. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, I hope you like it, ShoSho.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments For February, OoCZ I'm going to read The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George . Hope it isn't too flowery for me.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho wrote: "I have decided on my February OoCz book, I've picked up the PB. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman"

I'm on page 160 I think and I've been crying my eyes out from the first chapter! I'd never really cried while reading a book. Almost cried or watery eyes yes but not really crying! Is it the book or is it me?

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It is the book. It is wonderful.

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Gosh...I'm tearing up just thinking about it! LOL!

message 41: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:22PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Finished one!

Out of Your Comfort Zone

I'm going for Gutsy and give myself at least 3 months to finish each book.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō ★★

message 42: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in I'm going for 3-6 Gutsy

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Welcome to the challenge, Vicki!

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) ShoSho wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Vicki!"

Thanks

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Finished 1 of 2 that I promised myself to read this year, finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Glad I stepped out for this one, very good!!
Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finished 1 of 2 that I promised myself to read this year, finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

I watched the movie, have you? if so which one is better?

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finished 1 of 2 that I promised myself to read this year, finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Review: htt..."

I am going to watch the movie this weekend Sho, will let you know! I had avoided it when it came out awhile ago because I am NOT a Robert Pattinson fan, but I'll muddle through because I want to see how it compares and I love Reese Witherspoon :)

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finished 1 of 2 that I promised myself to read this year, finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Glad I stepped out for this one, very goo..."

He's good in this movie.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finished 1 of 2 that I promised myself to read this year, finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Glad I..."

Sho, so watched the movie...book is definitely better, but that is usually the case. Movie was great...I actually sobbed with the Rosie and August part, its so much more gut wrenching to hear it over just reading about it. But they completely got rid of one of the main characters from the book, and to me they didn't give us enough time and enough examples of why we truly should HATE just LOATHE August. The book does a much better job of this for sure.

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "The book does a much better job of this for sure. "

It usually does!!!

« previous 1 3 4