Tiny Oranges Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Brené talks about Day Two and how we often try to skip day two when dealing with strong emotions or struggles, and how we can go from telling ourself a story to lashing out as a result. How can taking the time to work through Day Two and really investigate what is driving your emotions help your relationships?

message 2: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments I love concept of the Dark Middle. You've gone too far to turn around but the future is so uncertain. It is so uncomfortable and let's face it, no one likes to be uncomfortable. Realizing where you are in the process is key. It helps manage the discomfort and move forward. Then by doing the work where you are, you can drive down into the emotions honestly without as much fear. Communication improves and relationships improve with more open communication.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie Kendall McCunniff | 6 comments Ah ha moment was "experience and success don't give you an easy passage through the middle space of a struggle."
This is so good for us people-pleasing, do-the-right-thing, overachiever types.
The only thing experience and success can give you is possibly the courage to face yet another struggle, or the knowledge that after every dark night comes yet another sunrise.
But the hardest part for me is accepting that even though the middle is messy, "it's also where the magic happens."
This is so difficult for me to see sometimes.
I don't always see the magic in the messy, and I need to work on opening up enough to see that.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 8 comments Thanks for reminder Angie. I've been struggling with Day 2, especially since I'm living "Day 2" right now in Kona. There is magic in the unknown, but I don't hang out well with the unknown. I'm the one who wants everything planned out, with a budget in place. So much for life being about the journey ...

In my struggle, I've been reading a lot of Rilke;

“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”
― Rainer Maria Rilke

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Angie wrote: "Ah ha moment was "experience and success don't give you an easy passage through the middle space of a struggle."
This is so good for us people-pleasing, do-the-right-thing, overachiever types.
The..."

I think anytime you are in the middle of Day Two, struggling through the messy, uncomfortable feelings of pain and emotion, it is hard to see the magic. I am in the middle of Day Two of grief right now. And I struggle with a lot of messy emotions, sometimes asking myself, WHY am I going through this. I hope some day to look back and see some of the magic in this process. A lot of faith has to come into play.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Kristin wrote: "Thanks for reminder Angie. I've been struggling with Day 2, especially since I'm living "Day 2" right now in Kona. There is magic in the unknown, but I don't hang out well with the unknown. I'm the..."

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!