The Italian Book Club of Philadelphia discussion

Seeking suggestions for fiction in Italian

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stella (new)

Stella Bastone (stella_bastone_in_toronto) Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone in this group can recommend some novels for me to order for my mother. She's in her late 70s and loves to read Italian novels, so I order them periodically from Italy (since I haven't found a North American supplier for Canada).

She really enjoyed "La Signora di Ellis Island" and many other titles whose names now I don't remember, but it seems she likes straightforward narratives on the tame side--no magical realism or stream of consciousness edgy stuff (and I often get it wrong since I'm ordering online without access to excerpts). I realize I'm not giving much insight on her preferences but she's pretty open.

Can anyone in this group recommend any novels that a senior Italian immigrant in Canada might enjoy? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Grazie mille.

Maura Malfatto Elia (malfmaura) | 2 comments Mod
Ciao Stella! Thanks for stopping by at the Italian Book Club of Philadelphia. I am not sure if your mom can read in Italian or in English. If she has not read Elena Ferrante (unlikely!) I would recommend it. Other good contemporary fiction writers are Simonetta Agnello Hornby, Francesca Melandri, and Sveva Casati Modigliani just to name some popular women writers that your mom might like.
Enjoy!