Goodreads Italia discussion

Discussioni sui Libri > Seeking suggestions for fiction in Italian

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stella (new)

Stella Bastone (stella_bastone_in_toronto) Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone in this group can recommend some novels for me to order for my mother. She's in her late 70s and loves to read Italian novels, so I order them periodically from Italy (since I haven't found a North American supplier for Canada).

She really enjoyed "La Signora di Ellis Island" and many other titles whose names now I don't remember, but it seems she likes straightforward narratives on the tame side--no magical realism or stream of consciousness edgy stuff (and I often get it wrong since I'm ordering online without access to excerpts). I realize I'm not giving much insight on her preferences but she's pretty open.

Can anyone in this group recommend any novels that a senior Italian immigrant in Canada might enjoy? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Grazie mille.

message 2: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (driope) | 6226 comments Mod
Stella wrote: "Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone in this group can recommend some novels for me to order for my mother. She's in her late 70s and loves to read Italian novels, so I order them periodically from It..."

Well, the latest sensation is Elena Ferrante and her Brilliant Friend saga. The 4 books showcase 50 years of italian history, starting right after WWII in Naples. I'm not a fan but the whole world seem to like it.

How about Andrea Camilleri? He created Montalbano, a sicilian police officer, and the stories are quite original, very italian.
I'm not sure if you can watch the RAI website from Canada, but they turned the books into a tv serie and it's very well made
http://www.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/programmi/...
Bear in mind that Camilleri has written dozens of books and some of them are historical novels that are not light reading at all, so pay attention when placing an order.

I also like Antonio Tabucchi and his masterpiece Sostiene Pereira it's one of my favourite books of all times.

And what about classics? Did she read Luigi Pirandello, for example? His short stories are amazing

message 3: by Sergio (new)

Sergio Frosini (topometallo) | 66 comments Stella wrote: "Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone in this group can recommend some novels for me to order for my mother. She's in her late 70s and loves to read Italian novels, so I order them periodically from It..."

(Hi, Stella) May I also suggest the Andrea Vitali novels? Those are light, humorous histories set around Como lake, spanning various periods in the first half of 20th century.

message 4: by Diabolika (new)

Diabolika | 1807 comments May I suggest also some great Italian novelists of the last century? You can have a look at this listopia:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

from which I highly recommend everything by Calvino, Il gattopardo, Il nome della rosa, La ragazza di Bube, everything by Morante ...

message 5: by Roberta (new)

Diabolika wrote: "May I suggest also some great Italian novelists of the last century? You can have a look at this listopia:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

from ..."

Keep in mind Stella said "it seems she likes straightforward narratives on the tame side" and the lady is in her late '70s. I got the feeling she wants something more uplifting and lighter than Eco.
The list is great but if Stella could give us some other clue we could make a selection for her.

message 6: by Stella (last edited Oct 25, 2016 06:27PM) (new)

Stella Bastone (stella_bastone_in_toronto) :)

Thanks a million for the suggestions, everyone! This is great! I am now going to look into them.

Roberta, I think you're right about a preference for something uplifting and light. In terms of more clues, it seems she particularly likes historical fiction (or even historical non-fiction), stories with sympathetic characters, family sagas. It seems she's not a fan of overwrought tragedies, improbable fantasy, deep first-person explorations of villainy, that sort of thing--I think at this point she reads to relax, not discover new dimensions of suffering. I don't know if that helps but those are the few clues I've picked up from the way she talked about the books she has read in recent years.

Thanks so much again. She will greatly appreciate having new reading materials for the cold winter months!

message 7: by Roberta (new)

Stella wrote: ":)

Thanks a million for the suggestions, everyone! This is great! I am now going to look into them.

Roberta, I think you're right about a preference for something uplifting and light. In terms o..."

Then go with commissario Montalbano La forma dell'acqua. It's a very italian way to deal with murders and crimes, which are the background: the real theme is the italian way of thinking and living.

message 8: by Stella (new)

Stella Bastone (stella_bastone_in_toronto) Thanks, everyone. I have ordered most of the books suggested here! I think my parents will love them. :)

message 9: by Roberta (new)

Stella wrote: "Thanks, everyone. I have ordered most of the books suggested here! I think my parents will love them. :)"

Glad to know, let us now what they liked and disliked