You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Tippling Tips and Books with Beverages

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments This fun and interesting chatter is showing up everywhere, so I thought it deserved it's own topic.

So bring on the books that are making you drink!

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I've already said that I've been tippling along with some of my characters. I really need some books with characters with inexpensive drinking habits. So far I've had port and scotch, and now I need to get some brandy (maybe calvados), vodka (for vampire bloody marys), gin (and tonic, although I used to drink it with 7 Up for that pine tree smell), and who knows what else. By the end of the week I'll have a nice bar set up :) The sad part is that no one is drinking rum yet and I actually have some on hand.

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Oct 24, 2016 07:45PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I accidentally coloured coordinated my drink to my book. Not sure I can keep that up all week.

description

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Rusalka wrote: "I accidentally coloured coordinated my drink to my book. Not sure I can keep that up all week.

"

That is quite lovely.

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sounds like a great idea for extra points in a Toppler.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments The character in my book was drinking vodka and cranberry juice. I don't have either. I saw Cranberry Gingerale at the store today. It might be quite tasty mixed with vodka.

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I used to drink vodka and cranberry juice years ago. The gingerale sounds like it would be good - you'll have to try it and let us know.

Oooohh - maybe there should be extra points for pictures posted of our beverages during the Toppler. Alcoholic or nonalcoholic. How about 2 points for each pic? Post pics anyway for the rest of us to vicariously drink with you.

message 8: by Almeta (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:37AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments
CANDY IS DANDY BUT LIQUOR IS QUICKER!

Saturday I drank Cuba Libres.  photo cubalibre_zpsbh1xbhnv.jpg

Sunday I had iced tea and Dr. Pepper  photo candyiced20tea_zpsvxjzgc4q.jpg  photo drPepper_zpslp0mujdj.jpg

Monday I had Apple Cider at the Cider Mill and then Cuba Libres with my Black N Blue Burger lunch.
 photo appleCider_zpsbf2riik7.jpg  photo cuba-libre_zps5dgjw6np.jpg

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I don't recall my characters drinking much other than water and wine (not sure if red, white or rose). They did eat spaghetti (no sauce) and mac and cheese. Not much to go on there. I drank beer whilst reading, not wine. My bad.
Fingers crossed my next book has more to go in.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have read 2 books so far, one of which was a children's book, so there wasn't much in the way of drinking going on in that. The other book was a historical murder mystery in which the characters mainly drunk beer and wine.

As for me, I have been drinking J2Os and cream soda (not together, thankfully).

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Carol wrote: "That is quite lovely."

Thanks Carol :)

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments You were just joking about there being points for drinks J'mom? I didn't drink anything the same as in my first book, let alone post a picture of it.

That's cheating Almeta. There not pictures of YOUR drinks. ;-)

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments Sarah wrote: "Y....That's cheating Almeta. There not pictures of YOUR drinks. ;-) ..."

Oh, Is that what I'm supposed to do? Post pictures of my personal drinks?

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Sounded like any drinks. I am confused though.

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I assumed it was drink what the characters were drinking as that was what J'mom has been talking about over in her team thread. But I'm confused too.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments If we were going to do points for tippling, I'd rather start at the beginning of the toppler so that we're all on the same playing field. I might have popped out to buy a mickie of vodka and cranberry juice.

message 17: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments Janice wrote: "If we were going to do points for tippling, I'd rather start at the beginning of the toppler so that we're all on the same playing field. I might have popped out to buy a mickie of vodka and cranbe..."

I didn't think we were really going to drink for points!

But I shhh..ure cannn tryyy to cat-sh up and dooo my part!☻

message 18: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments When I posted this my brain had gone into overdrive and I had no control over it. This time will be just for fun, but in future Topplers...

I think it would be something like this: It would be for any beverages you drink, maybe for 3 points, with 5 points for it being a beverage in your book.

If you want to post pics just for fun during this Toppler, I think it would be fun. For ones since Saturday, 'fake' pics could be used.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments Thanks for the clarification, j'mom.

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm having a Dr. Pepper day so far. Might have to go the liquor store later :)

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments After having a massive coughing fit mid seeing client while I was at work today (first day back) i am back on the hot toddies. I hate this cold. Although the hot toddies are a bonus.

message 22: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I don't think anything has been drank in either of the books I'm reading/listening to right now. And all I've had is water and coffee. But that is my normal everyday drinks.

message 23: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments description

message 24: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments description

message 25: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments While I was out running errands I got a flat tire. Two gentlemen changed the tire for me - I was really glad they refused to let me do it, I'd probably still be there :) So after that I had to go by the liquor store (otherwise I could have waited HAH!). Now I have vodka and bloody mary mix for my vampires, Bordeaux wine (called claret in older times in England), Dubonnet (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/... is a really interesting article, and now I might have to go get some gin), and brandy. This Toppler is killing me! I'll have to take a picture of all my new additions

message 26: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments to help everybody to make their choices

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments My choice for tonight is a nice hot cup of tea to open up my airways. Asthma has been giving me grief lately.

message 28: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I had Dr. Pepper most of the day, but am ending it with a glass (or two) of port.

message 29: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 26, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "While I was out running errands I got a flat tire. Two gentlemen changed the tire for me - I was really glad they refused to let me do it, I'd probably still be there :) So after that I had to go b..."

Glad you had some kind gents to help you change that tire.
Mercy, all those spirits would put me flat on my back with a migraine! It sounds like fun, but I do have to be careful with my cocktails. Spread them out. Jealous of all your fun! ❤️️ a good Bloody Mary!
I feel like a monk drinking green tea and water. Maybe, I'll take a risk Friday and bring out the Reisling (wine).
Marian, love your chart!
Looks like Almeta is having fun, too!

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14193 comments Connie - I've been with you drinking green tea and water too.

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm spacing my drinks out, so I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do this weekend. I've never had so many thirsty characters before :)

It's time to decide what I'm going to have tonight - maybe the rest of the port, or a glass of claret.

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Mariab wrote: "to help everybody to make their choices"

We posted about the same time so I'm just seeing your helpful book/wine pairings. Love them!

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments I'm drinking tea as well, Connie. It seems to help my cough.

message 34: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 26, 2016 08:03PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Alright you tea drinkers - here's some healthy tea-tippling recipes.

http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/t...

message 36: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I can't even drink tea (coffee is anathema)... so I'm drinking mineral water and a quarter glass of soft drinks

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments You know, I'm not far off the mark with drinking tea. Last night Maude (from Harold and Maude) was drinking "Oat Straw Tea". Euuuuuu. Doesn't sound very tasty. I'll stick to Earl Grey, thank you very much.

message 38: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 27, 2016 09:27AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Jaxnsmom, some of those recipes look pretty good. I may have to try a few. : )
Maude's tea sounds yucky. Don't think I want any of that!
i drink my green tea hot and sometimes cold. My Japanese friend served it to me cold one summer day, and I really enjoy it that way for a change. I had not thought about drinking it cold before then.

Mariab, I understand about not drinking coffee or tea. My husband will not drink either one. I live in the South (USA), and almost everyone drinks tea and coffee, so waitresses give him wary looks when he declines their offers of tea or coffee. He says it is cultural, because he didn't grow up drinking tea or coffee. He is from the North, and during the time he was growing up they didn't have tea, and kids weren't given coffee.
In the South we grew up with tea at every meal except breakfast, and older kids got to have coffee with milk as a treat for dessert. Coffee made us feel so grown-up, but we started out drinking mostly milk.
I can remember the first time my grandfather gave me coffee and milk. I felt so special.

message 39: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments It wasn't while I was reading, but I did get to have a nice glass of moscato (sweet white wine) last night. I went out to supper with some ladies that were in town from one of our other offices, so my company paid for it, which makes it all that much tastier. LOL.

message 40: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments That's the best way - when someone else is paying :)

message 41: by Mariab (last edited Oct 27, 2016 04:13PM) (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Mariab, I understand about not drinking coffee or tea. My husband will not drink either one. I live in the South (USA), and almost everyone drinks tea and coffee,..."

I do not drink coffee, but not by choice, is a matter of health. These past weeks my tea consumption was also restricted, because the same reason. As childs we could drink coffee (with milk), so long I can recall; it was our standard breakfast and snack in the early afternoon. We could also drink tea, but that wasn't as usual as coffee and was fewer available.
By the age of 4 we could drink alcohol, too (don´t panic). Only sundays, a watered vermouth and/or wine, also mixed with a lot of water (wine was always considered as food) with our meal.
All my siblings and cousins were brought up so, none turned to be alcoholic or even drink to much alcohol. I think the "natural" or "normal" treatment of the issue made us manage it better, instead of see it as the great thing ahead for us.

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments Mariab wrote: "I think the "natural" or "normal" treatment of the issue made us manage it better, instead of see it as the great thing ahead for us. ..."

There's some validity to that. If it's treated as normal there's not that "forbidden fruit" appeal. If kids can't have it, then there's more of a drive to sneak out and then overdo it.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments That Maude is quite the character. There's a recipe in the book for Chrysanthemum Cordial:

a pound of chrysanthemums
water
sugar
lemon peel
nutmeg
one pint of quality brandy

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my usual rye and seven which is what I had at wine group tonight.

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Well, since I have the brandy the recipe sounds intriguing.

I thought it was a wine group :)

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Maude can keep her tea! But the cordial sounds interesting. I went through a stage of eating flowers and their leaves as a kid (yes I'm weird). Some (nasturtium) I have since found out are actually edible anyway. I've used lavender and dandelions in foods before, Why not chrysanthemums?!

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Mariab wrote: "I think the "natural" or "normal" treatment of the issue made us manage it better, instead of see it as the great thing ahead for us."

There are many studies of this, and it's completely right. Some European cultures do the same. Take the taboo away and it deals with some of the issues.

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Last read with rose sangria. No longer coloured coordinated, and this looked a lot better on my phone.

description

message 48: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Those recipes look yum, Jmom.

I am with Connie and others drinking green tea and water. At times, buttermilk, fruit juice or lemonade.

That book looks interesting, Rusalka. Is it?

message 49: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2016 05:44AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Very cozy mystery, lots of food and comes with a recipe. I picked the murderer very early on, but the main characters were good. I liked reading about places I've been in Singapore. And a very easy read. Probably 3.5 stars? I enjoyed it as a good fluffy read but can't say it was amazing.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50011 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Well, since I have the brandy the recipe sounds intriguing.

I thought it was a wine group :)"

Happy hour is $4 for highballs. Wine is double the price. Next week one of the group is hosting. She just got back from touring a bunch of wineries in British Columbia and has brought back some wines she wants us to try.

« previous 1