Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Jabril (Vampires in America, #2)
This topic is about Jabril
Archived: Series Reads > Jabril (Vampires in America #2) by D.B. Reynolds[Start Date: November 21, 2016]

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Jabril by D.B. Reynolds

Houston, Texas-Cowboy boots, baseball and journeys to the stars . . . right? Wrong. Because Houston is also home to Jabril Karim, one of the eight powerful Vampire Lords who control all of North America. And as Private Investigator Cynthia Leighton will soon discover, not all Vampire Lords are created equal. For Jabril is the face of evil in the new world, a vampire who values no life but his own, who enslaves those he desires, steals whatever he covets and destroys anyone who stands in his way. Running from L.A. and its seductive Vampire Lord, Raphael, Cyn sees the Houston job as a welcome refuge, a place to get away and heal her broken heart. But Texas will be no vacation. For in Jabril Karim, Cyn will confront a true enemy, one who will go to any lengths to satisfy his lusts, enrich his coffers and expand his power. Fighting for the lives of two young sisters, Cyn's journey will take her through the streets of Houston and back to L.A., where the human police are determined to bring Raphael down for the murder of one of their own. But the danger doesn't end there. For Jabril has set his sights on Cyn, and he will stop at nothing to have her.
✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤

Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers.

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in!

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm in! Can't wait!

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I'm in! Can't wait!"

Me neither! I had lots of self control , I really wanted to start #2 right away!

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I want to read it now! Lol!

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I got my book and I'm ready to go :D

message 9: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Yay! Finally I can read this! I'll try to read a few chapters before bed.

message 10: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I started this and I'm really angry. >:/

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I started this and I'm really angry. >:/"

Eeep! Not a good start?
I was just reading the dedication!!

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Poor (view spoiler)

message 13: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Poor [spoilers removed]"

I agree, (view spoiler)

message 14: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2016 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 13
(view spoiler)

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Poor [spoilers removed]"

I agree, [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I stayed up and read up to chapter 20 , I couldn't keep my eyes open otherwise I wouldn't have stopped :P Sooo gooood

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments It's interesting that there is also a murder mystery on top of the drama and the evil baddie! Do you think there is any connection between these?

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Is it even a vampire or just someone making it look like a vampire? Is someone trying to set Raphael up and if so why?

Chapter 23
Obviously Raphael still wants Cyn so why the push/pull?

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Danielle wrote: "Is it even a vampire or just someone making it look like a vampire? Is someone trying to set Raphael up and if so why?

Chapter 23
Obviously Raphael still wants Cyn so why the push/pull?"

I'm pretty sure it's not a vampire and setting up Raphael is their aim. Don't know why

message 20: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2016 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm almost done, it's been fantastic so far. These books are what I hoped Masked by Moonlight (Moonlight, #1) by Nancy Gideon would be.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Oh - I have to give it to Raphael - that was a great explanation speech.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2016 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments BTW I didn't understand the thing Mirabelle said about the servant going to labor in the main house and the vampires reactions . Did you? Why wasn't she allowed out of the house after that?

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Yeah that was weird and not explained well except they obviously don't treat humans well ad Jabril's place and she was worried for the woman. I think because she went and got human help was the reason she wasn't allowed out after.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) I finished it! (view spoiler)

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2016 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm reading chapter 26 the spoiler is for chapter 21 I think
(view spoiler)

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) I don't think she knew at first until he talked about his time in Russia.

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I think she must've suspected when he started asking where she was.

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments OMG who's that on the phone in chapter 44? Alexandra?

message 29: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I suspected her. I keep hoping she'll be one of the good guys and become Cyn's friend but I thinks she's too spoiled to think of Raphael's feelings.

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just finished and wow!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: " These books are what I hoped Masked by Moonlight (Moonlight, #1) by Nancy Gideon would be."

Exactly! Their relationship is exactly what it should be!

message 32: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I loved how Raphael apologized. He acknowledged he was wrong but didn't push or pressure Cyn. He waited for her to come to him. It's one of the things Reynolds did brilliantly in this book, the contrast between Raphael and Jabril.

What did you think of the running theme of consent and free will? I can rotally believe in Cyn and Raphael's relationship because it is made clear to me, as a reader, how much Raphael respects Cyn and vice versa. Cyn didn't have to ask Raphael to help Mirabelle she knew he would. I thought Reynolds would have Raphael play the A-hole card and make Cyn go back to him a condition for allowing Mirabelle to stayin his territory. The fact that he didn't speaks volumes and separates Raphael from the slew of "alpha" jerkhole heroes so popular lately. Kudos to the author for that.

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I loved Raphael for this. He never pushed, he just showed his hand and stepped back and waited for Cyn to choose. If there is one thing that I hate about alpha-holes is that most of them are pushy.
I can't wait to get to their novellas and to read more about them.
And Cyn never doubted him for one second, she knew he wasn't responsible for murders. The author could have easily made some plot line out of her suspicious but I'm so glad she didn't go there.
Plus as you said she just knew he would help, no doubt or second guessing about it.
Loved these things about the book.
I thought the murders were solved to easily but the mystery was still good.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Was Sarah in the first book? she's the heroine in the #3.

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Danielle wrote: "I finished it! So glad Cyn saved herself "

That was one of my favorite things in the book! Loved it!

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) sara wasn't really in this book except st the vet end. She was the friend Cyn was having coffee with.

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 22, 2016 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Danielle wrote: "sara wasn't really in this book except st the vet end. She was the friend Cyn was having coffee with."

I know I was just wondering if we had met her before the epilogue of this book :)

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Nope she wasn't in the book other than that.

message 39: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Danielle wrote: "sara wasn't really in this book except st the vet end. She was the friend Cyn was having coffee with."

I know I was just wondering if we had met her before the epilogue of this bo..."

That's the one thing that bothered me in this book. The author mentions how Cyn doesn't make friends easily and that's why Benita's betrayal hurt so much. It would have been so easy for Cyn or Luce to mention her in a conversation. That way the reader would have at least a heads up that Sarah exists. As it was, I racked my brain trying to remember Sarah.

message 40: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Danielle wrote: "I finished it! So glad Cyn saved herself "

That was one of my favorite things in the book! Loved it!"

LOL yes! I just loved that. Cyn is no damsel in distress. And Raphael's apology for being late was perfect. We didn't get the "this is my fault I failed to protect you" speech alphas spout whenever their mates are in danger.

message 41: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "The author could have easily made some plot line out of her suspicious but I'm so glad she didn't go there."

I agree. That's when I lost interest in the Moonlight books.

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I just finished and once i started I was like ShoSho I would have read through the night but had to sleep. Did anyone else notice when Duncan and Cyn interrogated the murderer he slipped out something about they didn't know what was coming. Like maybe trouble was brewing with humans that hated vampires? I was scared when Jabril got Cyn and Liz. I suspected who called Jabril and was right. I just had this feeling Jabril was going to turn Cyn to taunt Raphael. I love this series and can't wait to read next one

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "That's the one thing that bothered me in this book. The author mentions how Cyn doesn't make friends easily and that's why Benita's betrayal hurt so much. It would have been so easy for Cyn or Luce to mention her in a conversation. That way the reader would have at least a heads up that Sarah exists. As it was, I racked my brain trying to remember Sarah"

Exactly! Even Luce was a surprise, there wasn't any mention of her in the first book!

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Vicki wrote: "Did anyone else notice when Duncan and Cyn interrogated the murderer he slipped out something about they didn't know what was coming. Like maybe trouble was brewing with humans that hated vampires? "

I went back and read that part again. I didn't find this. Where is it?

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) ShoSho wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Did anyone else notice when Duncan and Cyn interrogated the murderer he slipped out something about they didn't know what was coming. Like maybe trouble was brewing with humans that h..."

I went back and re-read it again and I couldn't find it either maybe I was just getting the feeling from the attitude of Ryder and Santello I guess I was anticipating something like that from the way they went after Raphael???? Second guessing the author????
Sorry :-(

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Vicki wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Did anyone else notice when Duncan and Cyn interrogated the murderer he slipped out something about they didn't know what was coming. Like maybe trouble was brewing wit..."

Lol no worries!

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jabril (other topics)
Masked by Moonlight (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

D.B. Reynolds (other topics)