Lakeland Public Library discussion

Page to Screen > Scary stories!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 210 comments Mod
This post contains twice the fright - terrifying books and their movie adaptations. Which to do you think is scarier - the book or the movie?

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty The Exorcist by William Blatty
Movie: The Exorcist
In D.C. to shoot a film, adored film star Chris MacNeil finds her stay turning into a nightmare when her young daughter, Regan, is possessed by the devil and must endure a brutal exorcism.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Movie: The Haunting
Dr. Montague, an occult scholar, and his team--Theodora, his assistant; Eleanor, a fragile young woman with a close acquaintance with the paranormal; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House--conduct an unusual research project in a reputedly haunted house.

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan
Movie: I Know What You Did Last Summer
They didn't mean it. They didn't mean to hit the boy. There was a party, and it was an accident...that wasn't who they were. They were pre-law, a football player, bound for New York. No one could know, so Barry, Julie, Helen, and Ray swore one another to secrecy. But now, a year later, someone knows. Julie receives a haunting, anonymous threat: "I know what you did last summer." The dark lie is unearthed, and before the four friends know it they need to outsmart a killer...or they will be the next to die.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
Movie: Sleepy Hollow
A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

Ring (Ring, #1) by Kōji Suzuki Ring by Koji Suzuki
Movie: The Ring
Journalist Kazayuki Asakawa's investigation into the sudden deaths of four teenagers from heart failure leads to an isolated cabin containing a videotape warning of death in seven days unless certain, now missing, instructions are not followed.

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Movie: Rosemary's Baby
Witchcraft and terror await Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse when they move into the ominous Bramford apartment building in Manhattan as they find themselves haunted by their eccentric neighbors.

The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King The Shining by Stephen King
Movie: The Shining
Terrible events occur at the isolated Overlook Hotel. It's a place where the guests are deceased but not necessarily departed, high in the wintry Rocky Mountains in the off season. A family checks in so the father can write, and terror lurks behind every door. Their son, who has psychic powers but does not know he has them and does not know how to use them, struggles to hold his own against the forces of evil that are driving his father insane.

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
Movie: The Silence of the Lambs
A serial murderer known only by a grotesquely apt nickname—Buffalo Bill—is stalking particular women. He has a purpose, but no one can fathom it, for the bodies are discovered in different states. Clarice Starling, a young trainee at the F.B.I. Academy, is surprised to be summoned by Jack Crawford, Chief of the Bureau’s Behavioral Science section. Her assignment: to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist and grisly killer now kept under close watch in the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Lecter’s insight into the minds of murderers could help track and capture Buffalo Bill.

Valentine by Tom Savage Valentine by Tom Savage
Movie: Valentine
Believing she has it all in a successful writing career, an attentive lover, and lots of friends, Jillian Talbot is stalked by a secret admirer who calls himself Valentine and who is hunting her down as the holiday approaches.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Movie: The Woman in Black
A classic ghost story set in a small English community follows the experiences of an up-and-coming solicitor who while endeavoring to settle a deceased client's affairs is haunted by bizarre phenomena before he is approached by a ghostly figure.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Crawford | 331 comments Mod
I'm more visual, so the movie is generally more frightening to me. Also, if you're looking for a different sort of zombie movie this Halloween, check out The Girl With All the Gifts, based on the novel of the same name by M.R. Carey.