English 10 discussion

Independent Reading Book Choice

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Dean | 6 comments Mod
Share your book title and author and whether or not you like it. Would you recommend this book to others? Why/why not? Is there a particular audience that this book would best be suited for?

Feel free to respond to one another!

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wolffis | 2 comments I am reading Hyperbole and a Half
by Allie Brosh
I would definitely recommend this book. Its a very funny book. Its an easy read and shares real life situations. Anybody who enjoys comedy and Doesn't want a super long book.

message 3: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt | 1 comments into the wild its good

message 4: by MacKenzie (new)

MacKenzie Hornak | 1 comments I am reading Furiously Happy
by Jenny Lawson
I recommend it to those who aren't easily grossed out by dirty or dark humor since she tends to add stories and jokes about those sorts of things

message 5: by Dane (last edited Oct 25, 2016 09:49AM) (new)

Dane Dykstra (31001) | 1 comments Hyperbole & 1/2

Much funny, very suggest.

Okay, in all serious..ness, i highly recommend this.

message 6: by Josh_Bunda (new)

Josh_Bunda | 2 comments I decided to go with Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. So far It's a pretty decent book.

message 7: by Rawmeal (new)

Rawmeal | 2 comments Nathan wrote: "I am reading Hyperbole and a Half
by Allie Brosh
I would definitely recommend this book. Its a very funny book. Its an easy read and shares real life situations. Anybody who enjoys comedy and Doe..."

I'm glad your enjoying the book, i'll definitely give it a read this year once i'm finished up reading Maus- which is also something i'd recommend if your a fan of history, relating to real life in a dangerous situation.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Peterson | 1 comments I am reading tiny beautiful things
by Cheryl Strayed
I really like this book, and would definitely recommend it to people who are interested in receiving or giving advice.

message 9: by Haley (new)

Haley | 2 comments Im reading Hyperbole and a Half by: Allie Brosh

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley | 2 comments Josh_Bunda wrote: "I decided to go with Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. So far It's a pretty decent book."

I heard this is a good book.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Egerer | 1 comments I am reading Enterprise
By Barrett Tillman
So far I really like the book, I would recommend it to someone that likes war books and naval history.

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe King | 1 comments I am reading I wish this never happened by jenny lawson and I think it is a good book and i recomend it to people who like dark humor and lots of swearing

message 13: by Josh_Bunda (new)

Josh_Bunda | 2 comments Haley wrote: "Im reading Hyperbole and a Half by: Allie Brosh"
That's a pretty good book.

message 14: by Charisse (new)

Charisse Timmreck | 2 comments Dane wrote: "Hyperbole & 1/2

Much funny, very suggest"

I heard that book was amazing!

message 15: by Charisse (new)

Charisse Timmreck | 2 comments I am reading the glass castle by Jeanette walls. It is such an amazing book. Jeanette walls dad is an abusive and angry drunk. and he is an alcoholic. They move around a lot.

message 16: by Vito (new)

Vito Vitos | 2 comments I am reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, I am really interested in this book and I like to see how the characters interact with the life of the protagonist.

message 17: by Fredrick (new)

Fredrick (xx_da_fr3dt3r_xx) | 2 comments Nathan wrote: "I am reading Hyperbole and a Half
by Allie Brosh
I would definitely recommend this book. Its a very funny book. Its an easy read and shares real life situations. Anybody who enjoys comedy and Doe..."

I am reading it too and i would say the same thing.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments I am reading its okay to laugh (crying is cool too) by Nora McInerny Purmort
It is a very good book and I like it a lot. I love how I can connect so easily to the book. I would recommend this book very highly this would be a good book for people who have been affected by cancer or has had someone in their life with cancer. It is a funny book but a little bit of a tear breaker

message 19: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Williams | 1 comments I am reading Sparky and Me. I really like it. I would recommend this book to anyone who like baseball or plays baseball. This book is about the past manager of the Detroit Tigers.

message 20: by Kadelyn (new)

Kadelyn | 1 comments I am reading Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson and I highly suggest this book to anybody who is struggling with mental disorders or who wants a funny book. I would also recommend this book to anyone with a loved one who is struggling with issues to better understand them. This book somehow turns something super deep and a tough subject into every day life and a way that isn't hard to read. Overall this is a wonderful book with great life lessons to take away from it.

message 21: by Makayla (new)

Makayla Hitsman | 1 comments I am reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson.
It is very good and teaches you that it's the horrible moments that make you who you are today. I would tell people who are struggling with hard times in their family to read this book. It puts very thing into perspective and makes it so that you can think of all your bad family times and laugh about them.

message 22: by Landon (new)

Landon Barrett | 1 comments Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened

This is an amazing book. It's so far the funniest book I've ever read. It talks about real life situations that the author has been through, and how she dealt with them. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a good laugh. This would even probably be a good book for people who aren't too huge on reading, as it's almost like a graphic novel. While it's not necessarily in a comic book format, there are pictures on pretty much every page that could help you better visualize what's happening. And there really isn't very much text on each page. I'm almost done with the book and so far I've only seen one page that's only text.

message 23: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 1 comments I am reading Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. I love this book it shows be so many different insights to life. I love how you can connect to the book. There is no particular audience for this book.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments I am reading A Child Called It
By Dave Pelzer
This book is really good and I definitely recommend it. I like this book because I am able to understand how he is feeling and how other kids feel while they are going through child abuse.

message 25: by Madison (new)

Madison Price | 1 comments I am reading "Tiny Beautiful Things" by Cheryl Strayed. I highly recommend this book. It's about different people that send Cheryl (aka: Sugar), problems that they are having in their life and seeking advice. Sugar then writes about 2-3 pages worth of advice. It has many different scenarios which I think is cool because it can relate to so many different people. It is edgy, funny, and sad. A little mix of everything.

message 26: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Thayer | 1 comments I am reading "The Magic Room" by Jeffrey Zaslow. So far it is a great book and highly suggest this book because it is about weddings and all their stories if you are in to all that stuff. It talks a lot about the past like how they use to know a bride or how her grandma eva used to run her store differently. All the special things that happen when your in the magic room with the right dress that you can see yourself walking down the aisle.

message 27: by Noah (new)

Noah | 1 comments I am reading the book unbroken by Laura hillenbrand
it is really good so far i recommend this book for anybody that likes books about war and life lessons
this book teaches us that you should never give up even when life knocks you down

message 28: by Maci (new)

Maci Bradley | 1 comments I am reading the book hope by Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus. I really like this book it is all about these two girls who got kidnapped and they escaped 13 years later. It really shows how much these girls have went through and how positive they are about life even though they have had such a terrible life. I think this book is for a mature audience because they do have some pretty graphic things happen to them and I think that a older group of people would be better for this book.

message 29: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 1 comments I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, I really like this book so far. I would recommend this book to others because it shows you no matter what you have done in the past you can always change who you are, and change into who you really want to be, there is no particular audience for this book, anyone could read this book and enjoy it

message 30: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 1 comments Let's Pretend This Never Happened ( A Mostly True Memoir)
By: Jenny Lawson
I would recommend this book. It's a great book to read if you need a laugh or just feel good about yourself. This book is also a good way to pass time just because it reads fast and is good entertainment. I would recommend this book to anyone that isn't easily offended.

message 31: by Max (new)

Max Curtiss | 1 comments My book is Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis and I like it at the moment. I would recommend this book to others that like rebellious books.

message 32: by Jake (new)

Jake Klahorst | 1 comments I am reading A Long Way Gone
By: Ishmael Beah
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to be on their edge of their seats through all the action in a book and someone who enjoys predicting what will happen next. This book makes you want to keep reading because you don't know where to stop because there is so much action and exciting stuff going on. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who gets sad easily, because there are quiet a few sad moments.

message 33: by Navdeep (new)

Navdeep | 1 comments Book: Three Little Words
Author: Ashley Rhodes-Courter
I really like this book, it's a true story, and I would definitely recommend it. This book opens up your eyes, that not everything is perfect, not everyone comes from the same background, everyone has their own story, so it's easier to just be polite and accepting to everyone.

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Akselberg | 1 comments I am reading The Life and Legend of Chris Kyle by Michael Mooney. This book is really good, it is about a war veteran and the impact he made upon the people of USA. I would recommend this book for others because it is an easy read and a great story. Especially if you are into war related topics and stories about "heroes" of our country.

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1 comments I am reading A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel, I have enjoyed this book so far. It is about a young girl who had little hair and wore wigs. She did not speak until she was 3 years old, when she talked for the first time she was arguing with her dad and talked fluently with a good vocabulary. I like this because it shows you the quiet people in life are not always what they seem. I think this book would be more for young adults and teens.

message 36: by Shae (new)

Shae Andrzejewski (shaeandrzejewski) | 1 comments I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and would recommend it to everyone. It brings out the lessons of courage and bravery of hard challenges in life. Some phrases or sentences in the book are hard to comprehend but re-reading helps you see how they are related to the book's meaning. Unbroken is about an American bombardier who crashes in the Pacific Ocean and drifts thousands of miles through hunger and thirst into the hands of the Japanese.

message 37: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Holt | 1 comments Muse
By: Art Spiegelman

I would recommend this book if you take a interest in history, and or like comic style books. Its a great book, and mask the darkness that's really there, with mice, cats, dogs, and pigs, making it a lot easier to understand, don't get me wrong the book makes it clear this was a dark time, but that just adds to the amazing, yet a strong thrilling feel

message 38: by Lian (new)

Lian | 1 comments I'm reading Lets Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. I really like this book. She is really funny. It's a great book it you want to lighten up your day with a little laughter.

message 39: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wolffis | 2 comments Dane wrote: "Hyperbole & 1/2

Much funny, very suggest.

Okay, in all serious..ness, i highly recommend this."

I am reading the same book and i feel the very same way anybody can use the humor, great book!

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis | 1 comments I am reading Killing Lincoln by Bill O Reilly. I would suggest it to anyone who is interest in history or politics.

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma Slater | 1 comments The book I'm reading is called Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. I really enjoy this book because the way 'Sugar' responds to the various questioners is witty, direct and relatable to not only the person addressing her but to all of the readers that get to read the published piece. This book is definitely for a more mature audience but anyone who can handle tough topics can read it. Highly recommend!!

message 42: by Markey (new)

Markey Mark | 1 comments I am reading the hidden girl, a holocaust story of a polish Jew. It is very good because it shows the during before and after of a life after that kind of experience. I would suggest it to anyone interested in history.