The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) The Eye of the World question

Any Recommendations of Other Fantasy Series for WOT Fans?
Guygordon Guygordon (last edited Oct 24, 2016 11:35AM ) Oct 24, 2016 11:34AM
Hi everyone,

My brother loved the WOT series and has already read it twice in the last 3-4 years. His birthday is coming up and I'd like to find him a new fantasy series to start on, in order to buy it for him. My brother is pretty particular about what he likes, so I don't want to get just any fantasy series. Thought it would be helpful to ask other fans what other fantasy series they'd HIGHLY recommend, that would be as good (is that blasphemy?) or REALLY good, for someone who went crazy for WOT.

Any recommendations/pointers would be highly appreciated.
And he already read the Game of Thrones series, LOTR, His Dark Materials.

Thanks in advance! (:

Well, if he hasn't read any Brandon Sanderson, that would be a good place to start. His major epic, The Stormlight Archive, has only really just begun (only two of the planned ten volumes are out at this time); however, most of the books he writes are all set in the same universe and are slowly coming together into a single mega-epic. Also, Sanderson is the author who finished WoT after Robert Jordan died, so he's an obvious recommendation for a fan of the series.

For other recommendations, it all depends on where his preferences lie. I think Lightbringer is really good so far (the fourth book comes out tomorrow, and there is one more forthcoming).

If you're looking for other long series, The Malazan Book of the Fallen certainly qualifies, but it is very, very different from WoT. I tried to read it immediately after the second time I read WoT, and I gave up before I'd finished the first book. I'm reading it now, and I'm into the second book and enjoying it very much. Where WoT eases you into a huge epic by introducing a handful of characters in a familiar Tolkien-esque setting and branching out from there, Malazan features no such hand-holding. However, once one figures out what on earth is going on, it's great stuff.

Another long fantasy series that often gets mentioned when one is discussing such things--and one that I've actually read in its entirely--is The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever. I never know whether or not to recommend it. Some people really like it, and I guess I'm glad that I did, but there's a lot of stuff about it that drove me crazy. The author uses words like "fecund" and "eldritch," which one would expect to be used sparingly, the way other author's use more mundane adjectives. Like, it's just constant. Also, a lot of characters speak in very formal, pseudo-old-timey speech, so the dialogue comes off like someone making up lines that they imagine sound like something from the Bible (but really doesn't). It really depends what elements of WoT made your brother enjoy the series so much.

Another good recommendation is The Gentlemen Bastards (The Lies of Locke Lamora being the first volume). It's another unfinished series, but each volume has its own arc that gets resolved, so you don't feel quite as left in suspense as with other series. Again, this is a very different series from WoT, but the real standout element in it, for me, are the relationships between the characters--especially Locke and Jean's friendship. If that is element from WoT that your brother enjoyed, he should find a lot to appreciate in Gentlemen Bastards.

Thanks, Ann. It definitely does.
(:

You might want to try the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. It's not strictly high-fantasy because it's set in an alternate reality London but it has great imagination and a superb sense of humor along with strong characters and an unusual perspective.

Also, he can try Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, (though he might have already read it.) NOTW has a superb story/character and beautiful prose.

If he hasn't read the original Dragon Lance Trilogy, (Dragons of an Autumn Twilight Etc) those are pretty good.

Another series he can try in K.V Johansen's Blackdog.

U 25x33
Guygordon Thanks, Tristenkozinski. Much appreciated.
(:

Nov 23, 2016 03:07PM · flag

The Echo of Things to Come by James Islington is a good addition. His second book is already out. Despite the flashback, the story flows well. That I think is an accomplishment. Hard to do flashbacks and retain the story.

If you have not read Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn, I would suggest that too. Great characters and plot lines. One of my fav series.

Though The Curse of Challion is not a series, the author Louise McMaster Bujold has written books of the same world. Once again, great characters and storyline.

Daniel Clouser One small correction: An Echo of Things to Come is the name of the second volume in the series. The series itself is called The Licanius Trilogy. Not ...more
Sep 27, 2017 01:16PM

i am currently on number 8 in the WOT series. I can recommend Joe Abercrombie 'The blade itself' trilogy and Jim Butcher's 'Codex Alera' series.

In addition to what Daniel said, I'd also suggest maybe looking at The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It's about a youngster with a magical connection with animals training to become a King's Assassin. It's really well written with a bit of politicking going on.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, The Belgariad by David Eddings. It's your traditional sword and sorcery quest series but is written incredibly well and the characters are very funny and self-aware. The only thing is that it isn't as long as the WOT because Eddings has a less flowery writing style, but believe me it isn't to the detriment of the story.

Hope that helps!

Some really good books recommended here, but one not mentioned which would fit perfectly is The Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne.

While the others above are a good selection of the best of fantasy, TFATF has much more in common to The Wheel of Time than any of them. It has the same sense of scope, a hugely varied cast filled with memorable characters, a vivid world with many cultures, and so on - it's like a modern take on the type of story central to WoT. It's not very well known, but anyone who enjoyed WoT would love it. :)