Secret Santa gift exchange! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Gift Exchange > Technical Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 285 (285 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Having an issue with something? Post it here.

Oh- and don't forget to sign up at out Elfster site!

https://www.elfster.com/exchange/view...

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments Figure I add this technical information here. If you have joined the SS gift exchange the previous years, you can update/rename your wish list on the setting (click setting gear), and choose which of us can see your list. No need to create a new wish list.

So helpful, Ami!! Thanks!

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori | 78 comments Where is the wish list located?

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 70 comments When you log into Elfster there is a direct link to it in the top of the page in the dark pink/purple navigation bar.

I just checked mine and it was actually my old one. I had clicked the link in the new gift exchange page and thought that that would create a new one attached to the new gift exchange, but no such luck. Happily it's all in order now. =)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 37 comments Are we supposed to post the email that is attached to your Amazon or Nook account?

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Are we supposed to post the email that is attached to your Amazon or Nook account?"

I don't. I have them gift books to my email address, not send directly. It's better for me that way. I'm not sure how to gift from Amazon directly to a Kindle anyway.

message 8: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Are we supposed to post the email that is attached to your Amazon or Nook account?"

I usually tell my Santa to email the book to my email address. But I also put my Amazon email account, just in case the Santa feels more comfortable doing so. I guess it is up to you? Just remember that not everyone can give/receive books from Amazon or Nook ^^

message 9: by Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (last edited Oct 27, 2016 12:33AM) (new)

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 70 comments If you want to get your gifts through Amazon or B&N then you need to give the email attached to those accounts. Otherwise you can use some other email address.

Just remember that you need to either have an account with that email address in the store or create one after the gifting to get to your books.

You can put your email address in your Elfster profile or as a notification to your wishlist. You can also ask to get gifts from specific store in you wishlist comment. To add a comment go the wishlist settings as shown above and write a comment in the bottom to the "Notes" box.

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* wrote: "If you want to get your gifts through Amazon or B&N then you need to give the email attached to those accounts. Otherwise you can use some other email address.

Just remember that you need to eith..."

You actually can give any email with Amazon. I get book gifts to multiple email accounts but I only have one Amazon account. Not sure how that works. I know with ARe it's different.

message 11: by Michael (last edited Oct 27, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Michael (mgm58) | 19 comments I thought you had to pre-authorize email addresses your Amazon account will accept from.

Amazon says:
Add an Email Address to Receive Documents

You can only receive documents from email addresses that you have added to your approved personal document email list in Manage Your Content and Devices.

Maybe that only applies to emailing "Docs" like when I email a book from Calibre that I purchased from another publisher. I would be curious to hear from others. I've never had anyone send me a book they purchased for me through Amazon.

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 70 comments Heather, Interesting. I've always thought it has to be the one in your account so that Amazon knows to put them on the right account.

Have you added the extra emails to your account somehow, like the approved Kindle sending emails?

And yes, with ARe you have to have a account with that email, otherwise you have to create a new one to get access to your books.

message 13: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 52 comments I have mine use my Kindle email, but I can see it being a separate one.

The gift email gives you a claim code...you can then log into the Amazon account and use that Claim Code, so it can be a different account completely (I always just click on the link since it's the same, but you can use type in the claim code and all is good).

Tara Jo wrote: "I have mine use my Kindle email, but I can see it being a separate one.

The gift email gives you a claim code...you can then log into the Amazon account and use that Claim Code, so it can be a di..."

Yes, this!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 37 comments Thanks. I completed the form except the wish list which I'll have to gather up some goodies and plug them in. :)

message 16: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 86 comments For those of you that might get paired up with someone in the UK ... UK kindles are linked to Amazon UK, we can't purchase things from them from Amazon US... it's all to to with tax...

Also, some UK based people can't purchase books from certain publishers through ARe or direct from some publishers... another reason to have a nice long wish list with plenty to choose from.

message 17: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments K wrote: "For those of you that might get paired up with someone in the UK ... UK kindles are linked to Amazon UK, we can't purchase things from them from Amazon US... it's all to to with tax..."

Same goes for us who live in Germany and have an amazon.de account.

But we can buy from ARe. At least I haven't had any trouble with buying there. I have linked the books in my wish list to ARe for those books that are available there.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I am new to this so I just joined elfster. What else do i need to do?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic wrote: "I am new to this so I just joined elfster. What else do i need to do?"

If you joined elfster (and our gift exchange there!), then I would make a wishlist!

message 20: by Ashley♥Alexis (new)

Ashley♥Alexis | 13 comments I'm not sure if this is a "technical" question but i've viewed some people's wishlists and I see that they've added things that aren't books. Are we just gifting our SS with whatever they want as long as it's in the $15 limit?

Ashley♥Alexis wrote: "I'm not sure if this is a "technical" question but i've viewed some people's wishlists and I see that they've added things that aren't books. Are we just gifting our SS with whatever they want as l..."

Some people have items for other exchanges. I'd like us all to keep to books here!

message 22: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Does anyone know if it's possible to hide your identity when gifting through ARe and how to do it? I wasn't able to find anything about it on their site.

message 23: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Josy wrote: "Does anyone know if it's possible to hide your identity when gifting through ARe and how to do it? I wasn't able to find anything about it on their site."

It is. I think it asks what name you would like to display, just like Amazon. As long as you don't do like I did, on my VERY FIRST GIFT, and out yourself by not changing the name there, which will display your registered name if you don't change it. LOL. :)

message 24: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments OMG! Thank you, Lisa!! It's right there but I didn't see the line where I can put in my name, lol! If you hadn't pointed it out, I would have outed myself for sure :)

message 25: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Josy wrote: "OMG! Thank you, Lisa!! It's right there but I didn't see the line where I can put in my name, lol! If you hadn't pointed it out, I would have outed myself for sure :)"

I did that very thing. First damn time, so my person knew who I was the whole time. Some secret I was! :) *blows kisses at Diane*

message 26: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments LOL! Believe me, I would have done the same thing :) So I thank you very much for telling me how to prevent that!!

message 27: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Josy wrote: "LOL! Believe me, I would have done the same thing :) So I thank you very much for telling me how to prevent that!!"

You're welcome sweets! Enjoy!!

message 28: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments I had my Santa outed herself last year by NOT changing her name *lol*.

Oh, and I sometimes put gift card on my wishlist rather than books, simply because I often not patient enough to wait for the book I want and end up getting it myself *LOL*

Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester (chickwithbooks) | 1 comments Hello! Thanks for organizing this! Such a fun event! For the last few years I joined the BOTN Secret Santa, so this one is new to me... Could someone tell me...

*Spending limit?
*Are we just doing eBooks for gifts and not physical books?

Thanks!

message 30: by ❀~Amy~❀ (new)

❀~Amy~❀ (ajpayne75) | 153 comments Suzanne (Chick with Books) wrote: "Hello! Thanks for organizing this! Such a fun event! For the last few years I joined the BOTN Secret Santa, so this one is new to me... Could someone tell me...

*Spending limit?
*Are we just doing..."

There is a $15 spending limit, though I think some members strictly stick to that and some don't. As far as I know everyone is planning to do ebooks.

Suzanne (Chick with Books) wrote: "Hello! Thanks for organizing this! Such a fun event! For the last few years I joined the BOTN Secret Santa, so this one is new to me... Could someone tell me...

*Spending limit?
*Are we just doing..."

Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves are known to be generous! ;)

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 134 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves are known to be generous! ;)"

Members of the group are so spread out that it's just easier to give 'eBooks' as the format, otherwise some of us could be spending $15 or more on postage. I strictly follow the rules of $15 for the person I'm matched with and then a few extra dollars for others who are being extra generous and I believe deserve a little extra surprise for themselves.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Who do you pick who to send gifts to? Just go to elfster and pick someone?

No! You get assigned to someone. I'll be drawing names on the 19th!

message 35: by Piper (new)

Piper (piperdown) | 78 comments Sarah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves are known to be ..."

eBooks sound great for just that reason. Do I still need to submit my address on the Elfster site though?

message 36: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments I wouldn't think the address is strictly necessary unless you were. getting physical books.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic wrote: "Who do you pick who to send gifts to? Just go to elfster and pick someone?"

You'll get more information on the date the exchange starts :)

Piper wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves ar..."

Yup, you need at least an email for gifting.

message 39: by ~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (last edited Nov 07, 2016 07:41PM) (new)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "No! You get assigned to someone. I'll be drawing names on the 19th!"

This way we can take advantage of the Thanksgiving deals the weekend of the 24th!!!!

Note to self to get wishlist set!!!

message 40: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) Sarah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves are known to be ..."

I don't really read ebooks ... Bookdepository is shipping worldwide for free, so that's a great option :)

It's my first time participating and I'm really excited!

Aline wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our little elves ar..."

As long as you specify that, it should be fine :)

message 42: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Aline wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Unless otherwise requested, we give ebooks and not physical books. The $15 spending limit is a strong suggestions, but our l..."

I did that :)

message 43: by Dusti (new)

Dusti Hanrahan | 30 comments Ok... I set up elfster (I think) the way you instructed. When we are coupled w someone for gifting do we just look them up by name? I guess I am just verifying it's not linked to GR in some way other than the wish list title.. I am new to this and very technically deficient LOL!

You will be matched through elfster and you can find all of their info there.

message 45: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 23 comments A couple of questions that may have obvious answers that I'm oblivious too but:

1) Does it really matter if our display name is essentially our real name? Just wondering because although it would be nice if it's a secret, if we're sending the books by email then a lot of email addresses will have the persons name in it anyway (I know mine does).

2) If we do need to have a different display name, how do I do that on the site? I keep clicking where I think it should be but it's not letting me do it.

3) How do I edit what is shown on my profile so that instead of showing 'website:' (which I don't have), it shows 'email:' so that I can share my email for the gifts? Also, is there a way of doing the mailing address so that it doesn't require a postcode/zip code? Mine keeps saying it's needed but I don't really want it on there.

4) As the spending limit (or guideline) is $15, should people in other countries use the equivalent of that in their currencies (i.e. in the UK it would be about £12) or should it just be (for example) £15? I know it probably doesn't matter really as people will probably go over or slightly under anyway, wherever they see fit, but I was just curious.

Sorry for all of these questions! This is my first time participating and I'm very excited but I always need to know details XD .

Francesca wrote: "A couple of questions that may have obvious answers that I'm oblivious too but:

1) Does it really matter if our display name is essentially our real name? Just wondering because although it would ..."

1) When you gift books, you hide your real name. I can gift anonymously from ARe and Amazon with no issues. It shows no name and email if I don't want it to.

2) If you are talking about using a different name on elfster, I'm not sure how you go about changing your name there. Is that what you mean?

3) I don't have my mailing address on there, so you don't have to if you don't want to. To update your email, go to your elfster profile in the upper right corner (the picture), and click "settings." You can add your email there and that is what your match will see.

4) The spending limit is whatever $15 would be with the exchange rate (ie, 12 pounds). It isn't a big deal going under or over. Some people can't afford the whoel amount.

message 47: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 23 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Francesca wrote: "A couple of questions that may have obvious answers that I'm oblivious too but:

1) Does it really matter if our display name is essentially our real name? Just wondering because ..."

Ah, thank you! That helped to clarify it all for me. It was about how to change your name on elfster but I'm not too fussed about changing it on there so that wasn't a very pressing question.

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 70 comments Francesca wrote: "A couple of questions that may have obvious answers that I'm oblivious too but:

1) Does it really matter if our display name is essentially our real name? Just wondering because although it would be nice if it's a secret, if we're sending the books by email then a lot of email addresses will have the persons name in it anyway (I know mine does)."

You should use the retailer's gifting option. Most of them have it and maybe some of the publishers too. Usually there is either small gift icon somewhere that you can click or a button saying "gift this item" or something of the sort. =)

You could break the law if you buy an ebook and then just email it to the recipient yourself as that leaves a copy of the book to you and if you give it as a gift you don't have a right to a copy yourself.

message 49: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 23 comments Oh, thank you for letting me know! I wouldn't have had a clue and probably would've ended up getting myself in a lot of trouble there. I've never gifted an ebook before so was unsure of the process.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments On ARe, it's a little green present box with a blue bow. You buy the book and it appears in "My Library", you then click on the present link and put in the person's email and remember to take yours out or say 'Secret Santa' or whatever - and as long as they have an ARe account with that email, they'll receive an email saying they have a gift book.

The gift emails I receive always seem to end up in my Junk email so I always have to double-check.

Your giftee will log in to their account and Voila, there's their new shiny book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.